how do i can a sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madman

Assistant Cook
i have this great sauce that i would like to can up for family
but i dont know how to do it
it has

garlic
wine
soy
worcestershise
suger

is it canable

thx
:ROFLMAO:

You could can the sauce. Have you ever canned before? I am wondering if you have canning jars and a water processor. You will have to have the jars and the lids made for canning and some sort of boiling water or pressure canning pot.

i have not but i understand how to i just do not know how to figure the ph of a mixture like this sauce

I'm afraid that trying to calculate the pH of your sauce (and deciding how it needs to be canned) from just a list of ingredients is like trying to calculate the salinity of a mixture when the only information given is that it contains salt and water ... it simply can't be done. Of course - if you have access to a well equipped lab which can test a batch of your sauce - that's something else, and the following is moot.

Break out your phone book ... if you have a County Ag agent ... call them and see if they can help you figure it out (you will have to give them the full recipe). You may have to call the State Ag agent's office. Another on-line alternative is contacting the National Center for Home Food Preservation's Information Request page. If you spend a little time browsing the NCHFP site you'll find some phone numbers, too.

Last edited:
there is more to the process
and is my secret sauce

as for the ph question it only pertains to the way i would can it

and you can buy a ph merer for about 100.00

Last edited:
madman said:
there is more to the process
and the ph question only pertains to the way i would can it

This is what some of us call "the other shoe" syndrome, madman. You want help but you don't want to divulge your recipe - and without the recipe we can't really help, and after asking the original question there is another shoe to drop.

I'm sorry - but it's a simple fact that given the ingredients you listed - the pH can be altered significantly based on the ratio of the ingredients.

Want to know the pH of your sauce? Find a chemistry lab that will test it for you. Although ... pH alone is not an indicator that it is safe to can one way vs another .....

You can buy litmus paper at a science hobbies store for your acid test. You can also just process your product for 30 minutes and probably be safe. You say you are doing it for family. You have a lot of salt in this. I assume there is no oil. That would complicate your processing and probably make it not possible.

Would you be able to FREEZE your sauce? You can freeze most foods and it is simpler than canning.

madman said:
i have this great sauce that i would like to can up for family
but i dont know how to do it
it has

garlic
wine
soy
worcestershise
suger

is it canable

thx
:ROFLMAO:

Just check out the canning procedures for animal, mineral, dairy, starch, vegetable, etc. Your secret ingredient probably falls into one of these categories.

Is knowing the PH necessary for knowing whether to use a boiling water bath or a pressure canner? I thought that a pressure canner is necessary for canning meat products, but figured that you could boil water can most other things. If this recipe is has sugar in it, and given the rest of the ingredients, do you have to have a certain amount of sugar in proportion to the other ingredients to know that it is safe to boil water can?

DinaFine ... high acid foods can be "water bath" canned - low acid foods must be "pressure" canned - and it has nothing to do with if it is a meat product or not! For example - cream style corn has no meat component, but must be pressure canned. Spend a little time browsing around the information available on the National Center for Home Food Preservation website to see which canning method is necessary for which food product.

The problem with trying to give madman a definitive answer on canning his sauce is because of the ambiguity of his description (no recipe and no method). Is there enough salt or sugar to preserve it by a water canning method? I certainly didn't see any amounts of ingredients to base an attempt to calculate a ratio on! As madman said ... "there is more to the process - and is my secret sauce". As long as the recipe and process is his secret there is little we can do to give him an answer.

Believe it or not - we do get questions from time to time from people wanting to create a marketable product that want us to give them the answers on how to do it without giving us the information to work from.

Freeze the suce. Or--read the Blue Book--canning and peserving Bible. You should find recipes similar, close enough, to yours. Follow that one. I would suspect that s simple hot, sterile jar (s), hot sauce, new jar seals and lids( they come in box sets in canning dept) Then, fill to 1/4 inch from top, wipe jar edges well with damp paper towel, put on warm seal/lid. Immerse in boiling water with full 2 or3 inches of water to cover jar. Return to boil. BOIL for 10 minutes with the worshetire, soy sauce, maybe viengar? will be similar to canning salsa Good luck. Graysmoke

Back
Top Bottom