Going to the movies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasabi

Executive Chef
DH and I went to this movie today and I liked it very much. If you are in to foreign films, this movie was directed by the same director of House of the Flying Daggers. Sets and costumes were stunningly beautiful. Story line was one of power, greed and a family gone wacko because of it. Here is a trailer.

The last movie I went to see was the"Pirates of the Caribbean" Dead Man's Chest. We were the only ones in the theater and at the last minute a couple came in and sat in the seats right behind us. They had the whole place to sit. I still can't figure it out.Dahhhh.:wacko:

I think both of those movies look good. Curse of the Golden Flower, is that what you saw Wasabi? That looks like a great film! I loved all the other films he has done. Hero was exceptionally beautiful, I loved all the symbolic colors.

The pursuit of happyness is the Will Smith one. Looks like a feel good movie. That's his real son in the movie, what a cutie!

I'm kinda interested in Children of Men. Looks a little freaky but Clive Owen and Alfonso Cueron, how can you resist?

My mom saw Black Diamond recently, she said it was good. The Good Shepard, I wanna see too.

The one major problem I have with the pursuit of happiness movie is the likelihood of another person getting that same chance in the USA again is like a billion to one.

I think the Curse of the Golden Flower movie might not make it in every city so it will have to be a movie rental.

Last edited:
We just rented 2 movies last night.
1. Little Miss Sunshine - It was good and worth renting.

2. Black Dahlia- What an awful waste of a perfectly good DVD disk. It was horrible and we turned it off after 15 minutes.

That's why I don't go to movies anymore. Most of the time they are awful. I find it alot easier to stop a movie that we spent $3.00 for then walking out of a movie you just spent $15.00 for and hope it gets better. Plus I can watch them in my jammies.:)

JDP

Just finished the Movie Latino Dragon which I thought was a bad film, but the main male lead was a Ray Ramono look alike who can kick butt.

This movie is like the first Latino based Karate/Action film.

We went to watch 'Happy Feet' as a family this afternoon. Lots of lessons about the fishing industry. I love fish, don't know what I will live on when they have all be harvested from the waters!::(

Jikoni said:
We went to watch 'Happy Feet' as a family this afternoon.

I liked Happy Feet!! Especially the baby Mumble dancing didn't even look like animation, it was like a real penguin chick wiggling around, too cute!! I loved the Los Amigos too. The only thing puzzled me was, why he remained in half baby feathers and face while all his peers have completely grown up? Also I thought it was a bit sad that he lost his love after all and remained alone in the end, just as all the other penguins had predicted...:(

I am also looking forward to Will Smith's new one, looks like a good one... it will be released next week here, so we have a little more to wait...

Jikoni said:
We went to watch 'Happy Feet' as a family this afternoon. Lots of lessons about the fishing industry. I love fish, don't know what I will live on when they have all be harvested from the waters!::(

Yes there have been overfishing problems in the past and are being corrected. That movie gives a very one sided veiw of the world in which the people are the problem and the world would be a better place without us. Enjoy your fish, eat it as often as you like and don't feel guilty about it. There are some bad people in the world who would happily kill every last animal on the face of the earth just to make a buck, but that's not the norm. Here in the US there have been incredible wrongs righted like with the wolf, bison, bald eagle and the wild turkey. There are many more white tailed deer here then when the Pilgrims arrived. I belong to a number of groups like Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, Ruffed Grouse society and Pheasants Forever that continually strive to create more habit that not only benifits the targeted species but the whole ecosystem from song birds to turtles and frogs. We as a species actually do good things too.;)

JDP

Last edited:
The next movie I plan on seeing is Dream Girls, starring Jamie Fox, Beyonce Knowls and Eddie murphy.

My boyfriend and I rent movies more than go to the movies. These are the ones we've seen recently:

Devil Wears Prada ~ very good
Rumor Has It ~ cute
Pulse ~ horrible
The Wicker Man ~ different but good
Lucky # Slevin ~ a little confusing but you have to watch the whole thing and it will make sense
Spirit Trap ~ ok, nothing great
Break Up ~ very cute, unexpected ending

Just some ideas if your looking for something to rent.;)

Happy New Year everyone!!!

wasabi said:
The next movie I plan on seeing is Dream Girls, starring Jamie Fox, Beyonce Knowls and Eddie murphy.

I would like to see that movie too. Looks like a good film to go see!:)

stargazer021 said:
I think the movie with Will Smith and his soon looks good. I hope we are able to go this weekend.

The Pursuit of Happiness is one of the best movies I've seen so far. It's a must see with your family. Take some tissues with you.

I'd like to see The pursuit of Happiness as well. There is also a thriller type movie that we might see that comes out on Jan 19 called the Hitcher, even though I'm not into horror too much, but it does look good. Definately not a family movie of course.

I saw the Pursuit of Happyness last week and thought it was rather boring. Parts of it are really slow and it just did not seem to flow well. But my dad wanted to see it and so in the spirit of the holidays I gave in.

I really wanted to see Night at the Museum. A friend and I are going to see it when she gets back from Colorado, in a week or so, if it is still playing at the theaters.

What I really want to see when it comes out is one of the previews. It is called Wild Hogs and it has Tim Allen, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence and William H. Macy. They are middle aged wannabe bikers that hit the road on their bikes. It comes out in the theaters in March.

I saw Eragon yesterday and I really enjoyed it, which is a bit surprising, as I am not much of a fan of this sort of "fantasy" materials. True, the story was not original, borrowed heavily from the Star Wars and LOTR sagas, but the dragon was wonderfully done, Jeremy Irons, one of my favourite actors never disappoints, and Robert Carlyle seemed like having a blast playing a hideous villain, a good change of pace from his usual reality roles. And the boy playing the title role was very likeable and put in some earnest work for being a new comer. All in all, I thought it was very charmingly made for a light hearted entertainment, but after all maybe I don't have a proper appreciation as I don't usually enjoy this type of films... I have been seeing some awful reviews about this film!!:(

Now I want to see the movie Sierra mentioned - sounds like Space Cowboys (rent it! - geezer astronauts James Garner, Clint Eastwood, Donald Sutherland, and Tommy Lee Jones on one last space mission) on bikes.

I've been waiting for Little Miss SS to come out in the rental place ever since I read the review months ago. Still awaiting rental by me.

Took daughter and nephews to Happy Feet over the holidays. Liked the animation and music but didn't see much of a plot or point. (well said, JDP!)Shoulda gone to The Night at the Museum.

Also took in The Good Shepherd over the holidays. OK, but not as wonderful as it looked to be in the trailers. Would it have killed Matt Damon to show a little more emotion? Don't tell me that was the whole point - I don't buy it. Joe Pesci was great in the single minor scene he appeared in.

The next Harry Potter comes out on July 13 in my neck of the woods.

I've been waiting for Little Miss SS to come out in the rental place ever since I read the review months ago. Still awaiting rental by me.

Little Miss SS is very good. It's a little slower relationship comedy almost on the line of The Big Chill.

JDP

Back
Top Bottom