Vidalia Chop Wizard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
If there are any of you out there who still hate to chop onions with a knife, this item should help make your life much easier.

It's called the Vidalia the Chop Wizard, and it can be used to chop just about all types of fruits and veggies. I just ordered one online. In that same order, I also ordered the optional Vidalia Mini Chopper and the Vidalia Chop Wizard replacement blades as a backup.

The Vidalia Chop Wizard w/ Dicer blade is just $19.95 plus shipping. If you want to find out more, just go to http://www.chopwizard.com.

Mods, please move this thread to Cooks Tools. I mistakingly put it in the wrong category. Thank you.

Last edited:
The fun part of cooking for me is prep, so having a machine do it for me may be quicker, but takes the fun out of it! :X

Thanks for the tip though.

Hope you enjoy it Corey and thanks for the site reference.

Am just so used to picking up the knife I don't think I will buy it. Only when I have to make gazoonga (OK, I know it isn't a word) quantities of something will drag out the whizzer. I don't particularly like even those.

As I get older, and am admittedly careening not so gracefully into old fogey status and set in my ways, I am tending to become a minimalist. Feel more comfortable just going back to basics.

But that is just me.

Enjoy the new choppers and have a great new year.

PLEASE post your opinion of the chopper after you've used it for some stuff, Corey!

I saw it advertised on TV today and it looked cool, but I'm too cynical to order it.

Lee

Hey Corey,

I have something similar - the nicer dicer. My boyfriend bought it for me, he thought I'd love something like that, and it works great...but like the others said, in the end I use the knife. It's easier (not to mention adds less dishes to your 'clean-up').

Hope you enjoy it!

Melissa

Thank you all and yo're welcome!!

Yes, I was going to get the Nicer Dicer, but to me, I think it's too expensive.

But I'll post an opinion here when I get the Chop Wizard and have tried it out.

Glad that I was at least able to let you know about it in case anyone DOES decide to get one. Thanks again!!

Why? No matter the quantity, cutting veggies by hand always gives me the correct coarseness, etc. Plus, all I have to do for clean-up is wash the knife and cutting board. If I need to cut up a gazillion onions, celery, etc., I'll just haul out my trusty Cuisinart and go for it. Like my chopping knife, it's already paid for and has a niche in my kitchen/pantry.

Vidalia: isn't that a type of onions?

It takes years to learn how to cut everything. I think they call it a culinary art.

If I had to mass product meal after meal, I would buy anything that works. I guess at the end of gardening season, when your done canning, freezing...etc but the veggies and fruits are still coming forth, it might be nice to have some handy gadget to help rather than watch it go to waste on the vine.

I just can't stand the way a lot of those products just gnaw stuff up and leave whole chunks because the veggie isn't the right size.

These hands are going to need a helping hand one day but for now, I'm just going to sharpen my knife a little sharper.

#1 - the lady doing the video should not EVER be allowed to hold a sharp object!! It's commercials like that that tick me off. Let's be over-the-top dramatic to misguide the general public.

#2 - If this blade cuts things in a square shape then everything on the first cut (except onions, at least most of the onion due to the rings) would be cut in a longer piece. You would then have to lay all those pieces up there again to get them chopped into cubes. And, as long as you were willing to do that twice, and you wanted everything chopped in that particular size, it might work for someone. I see where, if you WANT your French fries cut in this size this would work. If you want cubed potatoes, like I said, you would have to lay them up there again to cube them.

Am I missing something?

If there were medical issues where cutting was difficult this would be great as long as it actually worked. I, a LONG time ago, found out NEVER to order anything off the tv that cost $19.95 :blush: Those folks got a hold of my credit card and charged about $400.00 worth of "sign-up" fees for different things. Made me questioning every buying anything off of TV ever again. I have found that sometimes Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries a lot of infomercial type products. That's how I first discovered Oxy-Clean because I was NOT going to buy it off of TV but I saw it there! :chef:

StirBlue said:
VIf I had to mass product meal after meal, I would buy anything that works.

Even when I cooked in a restaurant we still used our knives. The only "gadget" we had was this Japanese curly slicer like Turning Slicer by Benriner for doing carrots for the salads and also for doing potatoes to make a potato crust for the grouper. We also had an all stainless steel mandolin which was a must for Gratin Dauphinois, among other things.

kitchenelf said:
#1 - the lady doing the video should not EVER be allowed to hold a sharp object!! It's commercials like that that tick me off. Let's be over-the-top dramatic to misguide the general public.

#2 - If this blade cuts things in a square shape then everything on the first cut (except onions, at least most of the onion due to the rings) would be cut in a longer piece. You would then have to lay all those pieces up there again to get them chopped into cubes. And, as long as you were willing to do that twice, and you wanted everything chopped in that particular size, it might work for someone. I see where, if you WANT your French fries cut in this size this would work. If you want cubed potatoes, like I said, you would have to lay them up there again to cube them.

Am I missing something?

If there were medical issues where cutting was difficult this would be great as long as it actually worked. I, a LONG time ago, found out NEVER to order anything off the tv that cost $19.95 :blush: Those folks got a hold of my credit card and charged about $400.00 worth of "sign-up" fees for different things. Made me questioning every buying anything off of TV ever again. I have found that sometimes Bed, Bath, and Beyond carries a lot of infomercial type products.

...+1. These are just the type of tools that are better at seperating your money from you wallet. Just my $.02.

I agree with KElf.

The lady in the commercial looks like she needs medication more than a chopper gadget.

I also don't understand how this thing would be very useful. It "chops" things into a rectangular shape. How often do you want rectangular chunks?

Plus it seems sort of flimsy -- it even bends a little in the ad.

IMO a knife is much more useful.

jennyema said:
I agree with KElf.

I also don't understand how this thing would be very useful. It "chops" things into a rectangular shape. How often do you want rectangular chunks?

Yes - so if you want cubes you have to set the rectangular shapes back in the device and cut again. Plus, I just can't see it working with tomatoes especially after there's some wear on the blades - it seems like it would squish rather than chop - but I could be wrong!

I saw one of these chopper wizard things yesterday, under a different name, in Le Gourmet Chef, for $14.99, and all their "gadgets" were an additional 20% off. No I did not buy one. What I did buy was one of those "rabbit ears" wine openers for 75% (not a typo!) off the original $39.95 price, and a french fry cutter because Trader Joe doesn't sell frozen sweet potato fries any more. I think I am going to take the french fry cutter back and buy a mandoline instead, because upon inspection, the carraige of the french fry cutter would require using very small potatoes.

I seems I have used up all my Christams gift cards on kitchen gadgets. I bought a 6-inch ceramic Chef's knife (greatr for cutting lettuce without it turning brown!) with my Target card, an electric can opener and a pair of kitchen shears with my Best Buy gift card, and the above listed stuff with my Le Gourmet Chef gift card.

I was informed that my particular Le Gourmet Chef store will not be getting it's lease renewed, so I will be visiting frequently until their closing in February to get the best deals I can get. I really want a 12-inch tri-ply frying pan, but I can't find any room to hang it on my pot rack. I may just toss out my old Calphalon fry pan with the messed up non-stick and set my new SS pan on the cutting board in it's place.

Last edited:
I thought I knew you better than that! lol skepticism? me? ;)

Caine - you will love your mandolin. Might I suggest an all stainless steel one versus plastic and stainless. Yes, they are more but well worth it. Thick slices, thin slices, two different julienne sizes, rippled cutter, straight cutter, area to make waffle cuts too.

Every year devices like this that come out and usually end up in someone's garage sale. The great thing about a kitchen is it's your's. You create your own reality. In my space I love my knives. Running kitchen for 10 years taught me how to properly use knives and I'm pretty quick with them. I also find it almost theraputic slicing and dicing. To me onions aren't a chore and are one of the quickest things to dice up. I hope it works for you and becomes a great tool in your space, it just wouldn't fit into mine.

JDP

Generally don't watch the most favorite show on TV between 5 AM and 10 AM - Paid Programming.

Mostly just use the remote to gloss over them without having to actually see any of them, but once in a while pause on one that is a cooking gizmo and usually become enthralled.

Have not purchased one of those in years, but am always tempted to.

Then I think about the thing for a minute and generally realize it really isn't going to help me at all and will just take up more cabinet space than we have.

How I have managed to not order Ron's rotisserie I have no idea, but I have.

But we managed to learn to cook to lthe limited ability we have only by reading, watching TV, and trying, trying, trying. And we are still learning, and thanks to all of you who help us.

And we learned it under very poor circumstances.

Came to a point where I realized that the historically finest chefs did not put out a meal using culinary gimcracks, they did it by knowing how to cook.

And they could do that with the simplest of tools.

Now that does not mean I do not expend money of the best of tools I think I can use. A fine mandolin is one.

It does mean I believe cooking is a skill that most can learn, and learn to do fairly well, but it is also very special talent that only a few can master.

And the technical folderol never made a good cook.

Sorry for carrying on.

Back
Top Bottom