Vidalia Chop Wizard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm interested to hear how the onion thing really works. I have arthritis in my hands and sometimes it is very painful to cut up lots of things. I have a chopper, 3 fp's and a v slicer, but none of them make those perfect cubes that I like in many things. I'll be watching this thread for an answer. I can cut the perfect cubes with a knife, but the repetitive motion really bothers me.

This chopper is just one in a long line of flimsy devices hawked by people on TV and at exhibits over the years.

My only question is: Do they end this informercial with "And if you call in the next 30 seconds, we'll give you ten choppers for the price of one"?

You watch these ads on TV and think, "What a great idea! Look, they work!" Then you find out that you have to jump through hoops to make it happen as slick as it is in TV.

I heard the eggstractor only works on medium sized eggs and only part of the time.

I imagine the choppy thing works after you peel the onion and trim the larger ones to fit into the cutting area. Also, you'd have to dirty a knife to prep other veggies prior to running them through the chopper. Then you get to wash both the knife and the chopper!

LOL Corey123 ... as much as you are a proponent of buying only professional kitchen tools ... advocating or endorsing the "Vidalia Chop Wizard" takes all of your credibility away. Heck- it's even a lamer product than the 1950's era Ronco "Vegematic Chopper"! At least the vegematic chopper did what it was advertised to do ...

Have you become the king of "as seen on TV" endorsements????

Maybe the "post Hobart era" KA mixers are not as rotten as you promote them to be?

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
LOL Corey123 ... as much as you are a proponent of buying only professional kitchen tools ... advocating or endorsing the "Vidalia Chop Wizard" takes all of your credibility away. Heck- it's even a lamer product than the 1950's era Ronco "Vegematic Chopper"! At least the vegematic chopper did what it was advertised to do ...

Maybe the "post Hobart era" KA mixers are not as rotten as you promote them to be?

wait, does it include the pocket fisherman?

Michael in FtW said:

No, I'm not the king of "as seen on TV" endorsements - as you are calling me. I just thought that members here would like to know of the product, since some were saying that they hate chopping onions.

And BTW, some of these items usually and eventually end up in stores such as Target. I've seen them there. One such similar item also even appears at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I bought a post-Hobart-era K'Aid Stand Mixer, and found out that I'm very happy with it. I won't get in too deep with that one again because of sparked controversy, so I'll leave it alone.

And most products on the market today WERE IN FACT advertised through an infommercial long before they made it big in the stores. How about the Ronco Rotisserie, the American Harvest Dehydrator and the Tilia Food Saver, and yes, even the K'Aid K5SS, Pro 500 & 600 models and the Artisan Stand Mixers were in an informercial. I've seen all of these in an infommercial.

Most of Ronco's products were in an infommercial at one time or another before being offered in the stores, and just about ALL kitchen gadgets and appliances seen on an infommercial are in stores.

And besides, how can I endorse something that I haven't received or used yet?
I just thought that some would like to try it.

Last edited:
Michael, along with the vegematic (or tomato smasher) was the mince o matic (it ground ice cubes ok)

And to think Ron Popeil is now sell rotisseries...set it and forget it!

I still think the magic bullet info mercial is the icing on the cake. I think it mixes paint too?

But the hand hammered wok was real, was good and had really good cooking info on the infomercial!

I gave one to my wife as a stocking stuffer- sort of fun gift at Christmas. OBTW we both are "serious" cooks who have fun in the kitchen...(as well as other places):LOL: but I digress.

The whole family laughed and laughed. Then they all wanted to try it.
It actually worked very well and we used it to prep part of the next day's meal.
It was fun.
That's what it is all about.

Serious tool for people who take things seriously? I doubt it.

Remember the Pasta Pot? There were two brands. They were both in an infommercial as well. Cuisinart products are also featured in one. Their electric grill was in one. I've just seen part of it.

Grip & Flip was another product that was sold in an infommercial, I believe.

Ron Popeil's pasta machine also was in an infommercial, as was his dehydrator. Companies are on the assumpion that the best way to get a product known to the consumer is to advertise and sell it in a paid program.

Eventually, if you wait long enough, that item eventually makes its way onto
the store shelves. Oxy-contained products got started with a cleaning solution in an infommercial. Now, oxy is featured in just about every type of detergent there is.

Last edited:
I was in a Target store today, and saw the Vidalia Chop Wizard there, so I said ***!, and bought it.

I got tired of waiting for the website to send it to me. I'll either send it back or give it to someone as a gift if they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got it today.

I probably won't use it until Monday afternoon to help make something for dinner. Have to work tomorrow.

:) I think the commercial metal onion choppers (the kind that is mounted on the wall in restaurants) would be the best chopper.

I was at BBB today just browsing and saw the same item under the Progressive brand name for $14.00.

There's just one catch - you don't get the extra dicing blade there. So if any or you ever plan to buy it, go to Target. There, it comes with the extra dicing blade

Be careful of the "beyond" section at that place, you never know where you'll end up.

Off topic, I do want me that Cold Heat, that looks like a "gadget" I would like to have in the tool box.

Ok guys, I finally got the opportunity to use the Vidalia Chop Wizard, and here's what I found out about it's use;

1. After cutting a large Spanish onion in half, I tried to put it through the small dicing blade. I litrally had to use brute force to try to get it through, but with little success!

2. After cutting the halves in half again, they were a little bit easier to process.

3. I thought to myself; "Why not try the large dicer?", which I did. Another half onion seemed to go through a lot better!

4. My conclusion is, do not try using this item with large half onions unless you use the large dicer because in order to get a finer dice, with the large onions, you MUST use the large dicer.

5. The small dicer can be used only if you cut the large onions in half twice.

But I'd still use it because with the food processor, it easy to over chop the onions and you might end up with mush.

Last edited:
Hey, Corey, thanks for the report!

It sounds as if it might require a tad more effort than the commercial leads one to believe (big surprise there), but would be pretty worthwhile if you had a whole lot of things to dice.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom