Boğaça

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
Hı everyone. We`re here ın Istanbul vısıtıng the famıly for the holıday. Each mornıng my SIL goes to the corner börek store and gets me thıs roll (or bun, ıf you want to call ıt that) called boğaça (pronounced bo-ah-cha). It`s kınd of a sweet dough and ıt ıs made wıth yogurt. You can get them plaın or wıth varıous fıllıngs. It ıs kınd of yellow ın color - I`m sure because ıt ıs made wıth lots of butter. Anyway, my sıster-ın-law doesn`t know how to make them and I cannot fınd a recıpe for them onlıne. I was wonderıng ıf anyone knew of thıs delıcıous bread, as I`d love to take the recıpe back home wıth me to work on. No doubt other mıddle eastern countrıes and probably the Greeks have somethıng sımılar. Eıther metrıc or ımperıal measurements would be fıne. TIA!!

velochic, there is indeed a sweet of sorts called Bougatsa in Greece. It is made out of phyllo pastry, has a custard-like filling, and is dusted with icing sugar. Optionally, it is served with cinnamon sprinkle over it. It is a sweet pastry that I would not call 'bread.' It is served with coffee mostly in the morning. If this is similar to what you have in mind, let me know and I will post the recipe here.

It's really a bread, not a dessert. Dh is trying to find a recipe for me... in Turkish or English.

If you do find the recipe, please post it here. I am curious to find out what exactly this sweet bread is. Might be similar to the Greek doughnuts or sweet bread.

Pamuk BoĞaÇa

Through my searches, I came across this recipe. Im not sure of it is exactly what you are referring to. I dont even know if it is Turkish :LOL: . I dont know if Im allowed to post websites here, so ill just post the recipe. If im wrong, I appologize, since i cant understand what Im reading. (assuming this is correct, and if you want the website i found it at, just pm me)

• 1 su bardağı sıvı yağ
  • 6 yemek kaşığı şeker
  • 4 çay kaşığı tuz
  • 1 adet yaş maya
  • 2 bardak ılık su (yada bir bardak ılık su,bir bardak ılık süt karıştırın daha lezzetli oluyor)
  • Aldığı kadar un
  • üzerine yumurta sarısı
Yapılışı:
  • Ilık süte mayayı koyup eritin ve içine geri kalan malzemeyi ekleyin ve kulak memesi kıvamından daha yumuşak bir hamur elde edin.
  • Hamurların içine malzemenizi koyup yağlanmış tepsiye dizin.
  • En az 1 saat ılık ortamda mayalanarak kabarmalarını bekleyin.
  • Üzerine yumurta sarısı sürüp 180 dereceli fırında üzeri kızarana kadar pişirin.
  • Fırından çıkan poğaçalarınızı bir kap içinde beze sarın ve sarmadan önce elinizle üzerlerine biraz su serpiştirin.
Kalıcı Bağlantı Yorum (7) Yorum yaz!

Attachments

• PAMUK BOĞAÇA.jpg
    PAMUK BOĞAÇA.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 229
larry, it is very nice of you:clap: but I don't know whether it is just my impression but I feel somewhat left out here. :( This is a forum:mrgreen: you know, where recipes are supposed to be exchanged for the benefit of all members. Trying all of my extensive repertoire of Turkish on your recipe did not allow me to get any further than the part that is most likely "bougatsa." I do respect your reservations about posting recipes here, but how about a Turkish to English glossary.;) My access to Turkish input is limited here (international relations, you know:-p). Of course, there is always a PM and by this I do not mean Mr. Karamanlis or his 'koubaros' on the other side.:LOL:

Thanks for the recipe, Larry. It helps a lot. I have heard that the recipe uses yogurt, but your recipe uses yeast and milk as a substitute. It helps me understand how this bread is made.

It's nice to see that someone isn't afraid to post something for the benefit of a single poster and that this is truly an international community. Yep, most of the world DOESN'T speak english. Thanks again for the recipe.

Here's one in English using yogurt instead of yeast

Dough:
- 10 tbsp (155 ml) butter (room temperature)
- 70 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups flour (white, all purpose), sifted
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt

Filling:
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

egg wash)
First pre-heat the oven to 175 C (350 F). Put all the main ingredients in a deep plastic bowl. Mix well using your hand. Take a small piece of dough (about the size of a green plum), make a little hole in it and then put 1 tbsp of the filling inside. Filling is optional. Close it up, giving it a half-moon shape.

Velochic, thanks very much for posting the recipe in English. It does resemble a special Greek bread made with feta cheese called Tiropsomo.

Back
Top Bottom