Need Cheesecake advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodfella

Assistant Cook
Hello all,
I am new to this forum (post #1). I have had some questions that I did not know where to go for advise. I think I just found a good place!!!!! This forum looks great.

Question #1
What is the best way to package & ship a cheesecake?

Question #2
Can someone share a recipe for the decorative frosting on the edge of a cheesecake?

Question #3
So many cheesecake crust recipes call for "chocolate wafer cookies", What is the best cookie to use for this?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me with these questions.

1. I would pack well; place in an ice chest or insulated lined box with dry ice and overnight shipping.
2. The decoration is usually sour cream or whipped cream.
3. I do not use chocolate wafers instead use graham crackers or ginger snaps (lemon cheesecake).

You can use any crumbs that you like. I like sugar cookie crumbs mixed with finely chopped nuts (sometimes).
What's the story behind this mail thing? I would imagine that you can freeze the cheese cake before you mail it. They always ask about stuff like this at the post office when I mail a package. No Lady, I'm not mailing pork chops today, but think you for asking. lol
I think calling them might be a good idea before you invest to much into this project. Some places are not guaranteed overnight shipping. One of the places I mail to is priorty only.

1 -- carefully

2 -- I have no idea but even if traditionally it is whipped or sour cream, you can hardly ship it that way!

3 -- I think they're called "Famous Chocolate Wafers" but that's a distant memory and I couldn't even swear that they still exists. Somebody U.S.-based should be able to confirm one way or another.

packaging - definitely go with a styrofoam shipping package. using something like the kind of plastic that florists use, tightly wrap the sides of the cake 2 or 3 times and secure with tape. give 1 wrap of bubblewrap. line the bottom of the box with bubblewrap and place the cake in the box. fill up the remaining space with dry ice and bubble wrap so that the cake won't be moving around if the box gets jostled. don't forget to write "this side up" clearly before you post it.

decoration - i wouldn't expect any decoration on the side of the cake to arrive in any condition other than squashed. something on top may be ok. sourcream or whipped cream would probably be too delicate. try whipping some creamcheese with a little powdered sugar and some flavoring like vanilla, lemon juice or melted chocolate. it should be soft enough to pipe out, but firm enough to survive bouncing around a bit.

crust - not all cheesecake crusts are made with cookie crumbs. in fact, cookie crumb crusts aren't all that strong. here's a link to an alternative crust recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/cheesecake-pastry-29916.html you can add cocoa powder if you want it to be chocolate

cheesecakes, with all that fat content, tend to freeze well, so you may want to consider freezing it before shipping.

good luck
icon12.gif

Hey, Thank you all for the advise so far.

The question was asked "why do I need to ship it?"

I have a brother, aunt & uncle in oregon that love my cheesecakes, and I am in Utah.

As far as the crusts go......I usually use a graham crust, but I have a recipe that is more suited for a chocolate crust. I know graham crackers also come in chocolate, I am mainly just curious as to what most chefs refer to as "chocolate wafers".

Frosting for the edge..... Could I just make a cream cheese frosting and flavor it to match (or compliment) the cheesecake?

I just want to say THANKS again, for taking the time to help me with these issues!!!;)

WOW..... It just hit me......Styrafoam tortilla warmer!!!!!!

I have one here at my house, I pulled it out.... 9" diameter!!!!!!
Tried it, PERFECT FIT!!!! A little dry ice, wrap the warmer in bubble wrap, in a box, next day air....... I think this is going to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom