Cooking Method Breakdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowbawl

Assistant Cook
How would i go about breaking down a cooking method for a recipe? So that i have a basic outline of what has to be done from start to finish, ill use this recipe has an example:

Moussaka

(link removed by kitchenelf as it did not work)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
SnOwball, to break down a recipe into steps, go through the process of executing it mentally at first. Then see which part of the recipe can be grouped together into logically distinct steps. I don't think that there is a rule to apply on every recipe indiscriminately and without your participation in thinking things out.

In the case of Moussaka, and assuming that the link you gave (which I cannot assess) follows the classical recipe more or less, I would break the whole process down into the following steps:

Step 1: Weigh, wash, slice, fry the eggplant (and/or other veggies your recipe may call for) and set aside to drain on paper towels.
Step 2: Prepare the meat mix that you alternate in layers with eggplant and set aside.
Step 3: In your baking pan, put together the Moussaka by forming alternating layers of fried eggplant and meat mix and put aside.
Step 4: Prepare the bechamel sauce in a suitable pot and pour over the Moussaka.
Step 5: Preheat oven and bake as per instructions.

I do believe that common sense alone is what is needed to outline such steps in any recipes. For your next one, try yourself. I am sure you can do it.

As with any recipe read from start to finish - read, don't skim.

When you are ready to make the recipe measure everything into little saucers, or bowls, or whatever it takes so you have everything laid out from left to right. If the recipe calls for chopping or shredding something do that before also. Group together those things that get mixed together. The French term for this common technique for well-organized chefs/cooks is called mise en place.

#1 - it allows you to be sure you have all the ingredients to make the recipe
#2 - once you start cooking you won't have to rush and chop something and take the chance of overcooking one ingredient while you prep another
#3 - you will be assured you have already heated your oven if necessary because you have followed each and every step and prepared for it. You will prepare everything using this technique from now on :chef: There will be NO surprises in the recipe that you don't know about.

kitchenelf said:
As with any recipe read from start to finish - read, don't skim.

When you are ready to make the recipe measure everything into little saucers, or bowls, or whatever it takes so you have everything laid out from left to right. If the recipe calls for chopping or shredding something do that before also. Group together those things that get mixed together. The French term for this common technique for well-organized chefs/cooks is called mise en place.

I am new to all that is culinary, and I am just learning about *mise en place*. It really does make sense to have everything measured out and chopped up beforehand.

I love having all my mise en place ready if I dont I get all angry and feel like im taking forever. The way I figure out steps for a recipe is usally by time. I will say ok while this is in the oven I will have time to saute that. Then by the time the oven is done so is the sauteeing. Thats just what I find easiest though.

This is all great advise....

This is the first time I hear about *mise en place* and i cant wait to put it into use.

Sn0wball said:
How would i go about breaking down a cooking method for a recipe? So that i have a basic outline of what has to be done from start to finish, ill use this recipe has an example: Moussaka

Well, let's break down the recipe for Moussaka into its logical parts: (1) Meat sauce, (2) Eggplant, (3) White sauce (Bechamel), (4) Assembly, and (5) Baking

You need to look at the ingredients, steps, and time involved in each step. For moussaka - you can prep and start your meat sauce, then while that cooks you can prep and prepare your eggplant, when both of those are done assemble the eggplant and meat sauce in the baking dish, make your white sauce and add it, then bake.

Other recipes demand you prep and have everything ready before you begin cooking ... mise en place ... it depends on the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom