Any Vegetarians or Vegans out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bethsy

Assistant Cook
Hey Hey,
I am a Vegetarian, have been for some years. I am looking for people who are also Vegetarians or Vegans to swap and share recipes with. Being constantly creative and keeping things fresh in the kitchen can be difficult when only working with plant matter. Holla.
Bethsy

I've been looking for some interesting vegetarian recipes and menus. Several teens are becoming vegetarians, one is mine. He told me that he ate a baked potato and fries for lunch. These are football players and auto tech type people who are used to eating Hungry Man dinners.

Isn't there an entire section on this site devoted to vegetarian meals? Head over there and you'll find plenty of like-minded people (... and even people like me sometimes since I prefer to eat meat-less meals often, if not exactly always...).

Isn't this the Vegetables and Vegetarians forum? Is there another place hiding away?

Hi, I have resently gone to a vegetable based diet for health reasons. I made this recipe for sheperd's pie the other day. It turned out pretty good, although you may not concider it shepherd's pie.

1 med onion, chopped 1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme 2 T ketchup
1 T flour 10 oz. favorite veggies. chopped, streamed
salt and pepper 3 cups mashed potatoes

Oven to 425. Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add thyme and ketchup and flour. Stir. Add 1/2 water and veggies. warm through and add salt and pepper. Spoon into a 2 quart baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over veggies. Bake 10 to 15 minutes.

Hope you like it,
Av

Ack, this is the first time i posted a recipe and it looks terrible :( Sorry about that. Next time i will make the list all in one column.

Av

Hey Av,
I think you did really well! I make shepards pie quite often becaue of it's comfort food factor. The brilliant thing about being a vegetarian is that there are so many "meat substitute" products now (at least here in Australia) that there really is no need to eat meat. I use alot of Santiarium products. Also consider things like lentils and chickpeas. They are delicious, filling and are a great source of vitamins.
Protein is a major problem (as well as iron) in a vegetarian diet. Animal flesh has basically no carbs in it and is all protein. Protein keeps people feeling fuller longer and also uses alot of energy to digest. I am only saying this because the recipe you wrote has no protein in it. Can i suggest you mix some cheese in with the mash potatoe you put on top? Also you could add something like Paneer (and Indian cheese that basically has no flavour but sucks up all the flavours in the dish to bulk it out).
I hope this is some help to you. I am in a bit of a rush. I look forward to posting and sharing some more recipes with you in the future :)
Betsy.

Thanks for info Bethsy. I have never heard of Santiarium. What is it? I have been tring to work in protein but it is hard. I am new to tofu but have had success with chickpeas and lentils. I used tofu in a vegetarian Moussaka and it was really good. Oh and chickpeas in a vindaloo type stew. Oh man that was good stuff. Darn now i am getting hungry. :)

Av

Bethsy - how vegetarian are you? Do you eat eggs & dairy products? Do you have any specific ethnic cuisines that you like/hate?

While we're not vegetarians per se, my husband hasn't eaten any red meat or red meat products for over 34 years, so our diet revolves around poultry, seafood, & LOTS of vegetarian meals, resulting in my having to become quite inventive to keep things both healthy & interesting.

My daughter is also a vegetarian and has been since she was 8...she is now 13. I was a vegetarian during the time she was pregnant.

I have many recipes that are vegetarian recipes. and some that I have veggie-ized (I made that word up)

i thought we already ate all of the vegans here. ;)

j/k, welcome bethsy.

please take a seat in the walk-in.

Me and my family have been vegetarians the past 20 years. Not vegans, so we eat eggs, dairy... Not overly health conscious, so we are not limited to tofu and sprouts :) anyway, I do a lot of cooking, only problem is , most is not by recipes, but just by memory and experimentation and by whatever i have in the house or is in the garden at the time. But, id love to share in anyway what i can

larry

Hi everyone. I am NYBrit's wife and I am a vegetarian and have been for about 13-14 years. I became a vegetarian because of my love for animals.

Believe me, I love my dairy and CHEESE and therefore I couldn't become a vegan. I don't eat regular eggs, (if I can help it), I use the frozen egg whites.

One way I have my proteins is I make brown rice and mix in the lentils with vegetables soup. I add all my seasonings and it tastes great! Even my non vegetarian husband loves it!

Another 'secret' recipe is I make my own Bolognase Italian tomato sauce (gravy). (Yep I rather call it 'gravy' since I am Italian!) After mixing in my seasonings including a bit of grated cheese, I add peas and crumbled up veggie burgers (as meat substitute). One time I even fooled my husband - he thought I made him a special meat sauce!

I definetly don't miss meat (or chicken or fish for that matter) and would love it if everyone became a vegetarian! But, that doesn't mean I can't or won't cook meat for my husband.

Hey hey,
I am a full vegetarian. I eat nothing with a head or that once had a head. I am not a vegan. I love cheese more then life itself (Holla NYBrit!!). Most of all i live for a nice soft goats cheese *swoon*
Tofu is so misunderstood. There is so much stigma surrounding the stuff. In truth it's not ment to be eaten plain. It's a meat substitute that is wonderful marinated. It's like a sponge with flavours.
This is Sanitarium..

Sanitarium - Vegetarian Foods

I think it may be an Australian company but check out some of there products as they are A grade wonderful.

I have the best recipe for Butter Chickpeas at home. You can not go wrong with it and it tastes just like a bought one. I swear. Will post it tonight.... in the mean time i hope you are all well.

Bethsy.

by-the-by.... i have tried human flesh flavoured tofu Buckytom and i rather enjoyed it. my vegetarianism is not carved in stone you know... :P

Bethsy said:
Hey hey,
I am a full vegetarian. I eat nothing with a head or that once had a head. I am not a vegan. I love cheese more then life itself (Holla NYBrit!!). Most of all i live for a nice soft goats cheese *swoon*
Tofu is so misunderstood. There is so much stigma surrounding the stuff. In truth it's not ment to be eaten plain. It's a meat substitute that is wonderful marinated. It's like a sponge with flavours.

Bethsy.

I suppose I'm like you, Bethsy. I cook vegetarian food, always on the lookout for new options, drive my family mad and hate to have the same meal twice a week.

My "speciality", if you could describe it as such, is Indian food. All across India, from Kashmir to Bangalore to Rajasthan to Delhi to Hyderabad to Kerala. Love the stuff.

Not veg or vegan, but have friends who are and always enjoy the challenge of creating fine meals for them when we get together. Also am interested in recipes.

I am not vegan or vegetarian, however, my choice of foods is mainly vegetables and fruits. My body reacts better to these foods more than others. I too would like to see some recipes.

I already posted this over on the "Creamed Mushroom" thread, but thought you all on this thread might enjoy it as well. This is one of my favorite mushroom recipes that I've adapted & tweaked over the years from The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two. It's good & substantial enough to satisfy meat-eaters as well, thus makes a terrific dish for mixed company of both vegetarians & non-vegetarians. Good crusty bread & a big mixed green salad are all you need to make this a wonderful meal.

Mushroom Stroganoff (adapted from The Vegetarian Epicure, Book Two)

1/4# fresh Shitake mushrooms
1/4# fresh Oyster mushrooms
1/4# fresh Cremini mushrooms
1/2# fresh White Button mushrooms
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 tablespoons butter
Pinch of dried thyme
Salt to taste
Fresh-ground black pepper
1=1/4 cup chicken broth
8-ounce container sour cream
2 tablespoons brandy
1/4-cup dry sherry
1# or so of wide egg noodles
2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds
Butter to toss with egg noodles

Cook noodles according to package directions, drain, & toss with a few tablespoons of butter & the poppyseeds. Cover & set aside.

Wash the mushrooms thoroughly under running water, trim, (removing any tough stems), & slice thickly. In a large skillet, saute onion in the 4 tablespoons butter until transparent, then add mushrooms & continue cooking until they have released their excess moisture & it's starting to evaporate. Add thyme, chicken broth, & 3 tablespoons of the sour cream, lower heat, & simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add brandy, sherry, salt & pepper to taste, & the rest of the sour cream, stirring gently just until sour cream is heated thru. Do not overheat or sauce will curdle, but this is just an appearance issue & won't affect the taste. Taste & correct seasoning if necessary.

Serve over noodles. Although the sour cream "might" curdle a little, leftovers are just as tasty nuked in the microwave for lunch the next day.

What is Santiarium?
I was always categorized as a picky or fussy eater. I couldn't stand meat as a child. Once I got married I transended into being a Vegetarian, but my husband is not (fishing enthusiast). I love coming up with new and creative dishes to share with my husband and his family.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom