Miracle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
Here in Missouri, everyone from everyplace is focused on the locating of Shawn Hornbeck who was kidnapped and not seen for over 4 years and is alive! It is too much to comprehend how these parents must feel! The guy who kidnapped Shawn in 2002, had kidnapped another boy on Monday of this past week. The fact that a neighbor boy had seen a white Nissan pickup truck at the time of the kidnapping was vital to the investigation. Another man who lived here in St Louis had seen the pickup in his apartment complex and notified police officers. Both boys had been kidnapped by the same person.

The one thing the both parents said was they never gave up hope. It is what kept them going.

The boy who was taken 4 years ago looked well taken care of and has changed a lot in the four years. I cannot imagine how this may have affected this young man for the rest of his life. I am truly grateful for both boys that this all had a positive outcome. Everyone on tv all seemed to be in state of shock how this all transpired.

It truly is a miracle!

Last edited:
Yes, ITK, it truly IS a miracle. Our local CBS station is out of Cape Girardeau, MO, so we've gotten a lot of the story. Plus, it has been written up in our daily paper, too. This morning's article said that the older boy seemed as though he was living as an 11-year-old. That's how old he was when he was abducted so maybe, as a coping mechanism, that's where he stayed in his mind. At any rate, it's wonderful he's finally reunited with his family as was the other boy. Thankfully the other boy only had to be separated from his family for a very short time.

I heard about this on the news today. Unbelievable that they also found the other boy who was kidnapped four years ago by the same man. Apparently that boy has not been in school since he was 11 and is now 15. Thankfully they are both back with their families and that kidnapper will be in jail for a long time. I think they were holding him on a one million dollar bail bond until he is prosecuted.

I read this story earlier today. Yes, it is a miracle. I pray the older boy hasn't suffered any irreversible psychological damage. I'm glad both boys are back home with their families.

:) Barbara

Pook said:
Good news for a change!

It's funny you say that because when I heard the story on TV, that was the first thing I thought of...wow, the news is FINALLY telling us something good. It truly is a miracle and I can't even imagine how the parents feel/felt when they got their son back.

I feel so bad for Shawn Hornbeck. He's been programmed/brainwashed over the past 4 years. Psychologically, he and his parents have a tough road ahead of them. I'm so glad he's back though.

Oprah

I just can't believe that Oprah is having this young man on her show already! Just seems too soon for him to appear in public after such an experience. But that is what the public demands, immediate attention or otherwise they will forget about it. If he were my son I don't think I could allow him to get such exposure so quickly. Of course, the parents must feel they are grateful that the public took such a interest otherwise may not ever be found. I just feel so sorry for this young man. He seems like such a good boy too.

One thing I sure would like to see Oprah if she is going to interview him. She always has something about catching these type of predators. It is so hard to believe how everything took place.

Gossie said:
I feel so bad for Shawn Hornbeck. He's been programmed/brainwashed over the past 4 years. Psychologically, he and his parents have a tough road ahead of them. I'm so glad he's back though.

This is true. Similar thing happened to a girl in Austria who managed an escape last year after about 6 years of captivation by a mad man. She was kept in a small room underground for most of the time, away from public eyes. She was about 10 when she was kidnapped, and now she is well into her teens. Shortly after she was rescued to safety, a television interview was conducted. Evidently she had been well taken care of materially, however she had difficulties comprehending many questions, for lack of casual, real life knowledge any normal children would acquire during the course of every day life. She had missed out on a vital stage of her young life, and one could see it was only the beginning of her true challenge to get back into normal society. I really wish the best for her, but I am sure it will be very difficult.

Pook said:
I do hope this -- I'm following the rules here but I hope this (insert your own invective) pays for whatever he has done to these dear children.

As Uncle Bob says...they need a tall tree and a short rope.

In the Kitchen, do you know when Oprah will be interviewing the boy? I would like to program my VCR for that.

Lee

What?

Our paper wrote this morning that this young man attended dance last month w/some girl who he was holding hands with? Is this some kind of joke that nobody knows about? If this is something untrue it is pretty low. I surely hope not.

The truth is WE don't know what happened. He did whatever he had to do to keep the peace and survive. I sure don't want to keep perpetuating rumors by even posting them here. I think both of these families need privacy and some respect. Even if I knew something was 100% true, if it violated his/their privacy and caused more people to talk about it, I wouldn't post it.

Just my two cents.

Friends?

I guess I consider the people on the site friends that I can confide in! I don't want to harm anyone, the families in particular. I am just exposed to the public comments about this as much as anyone else is and would like to know how they feel? I am sure i am not alone in being interested in this odd situation.

I apologize if I spoke out of line but Larry King on tv is even reporting about this family. You have to admit it is very unusual but I in no way want to bring any more heartache than they already have.

kitchenelf, I only thought I could get others opinions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom