Ice!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Why can't we just get snow? I HATE ice!! DS learned what it's like to drive, or, TRY to drive in it. He didn't get a mile down the road before he was sliding towards the ditch. The owner at my work called yesterday and told me to forget about coming in. That's what is good about a small company.
This radar shows how much is out there. I am between Greenville and the 30 marker, then south, making a triangle.
img_384970_0_98b47632f0929d41d911f62347755e06.jpg

That was a bad front, Texas. It went just north of us, so it missed us, thankfully, but St. Louis got socked hard.
I went to college up in Denton, and while I was there they had a snow. It was only 3-4 inches, but it was enough to down the college. People weren't used to snow, and didn't know how to drive in it.
What amazed me was that our buddies, the Sigma Nu boys, somehow came up with a 4 person bobsled.

Becareful....stay inside off the roads.
Look at the upside...think of all the soups, stews, chilis, etc. that will warm your day!!!

It looks as if it will be mostly North of my location...maybe the S.E. part will drag over us..but not much ice expected.

Again be careful out there...

Yeah, I remember those nasty cold fronts while I was living in San Antonio... You would be prancing around in shorts in January, then one day you wake up in the morning, walk out of the door, slip and the bum end up sorely on the ground before you realize it is freezing cold! And yeah, things get even worse when you try to go out on the road... they just never learn how to drive on an icy road, one time I just didn't have the nerve and called a taxi to go to work!! But they usually doesn't last long though, let's hope it will warm up soon!!

:) As far as I am concern you could take our snow, I do not want any, but keep your ice too, I don't want any of that either. It took me 2 hours to get to work today, grrrrrr

I dislike Ice also, gimme Snow anyday.
although when snow vanishes, it should do just that, not go mushy/slushy and then freeze solid overnight.

we should send E-Mails to M.I.T. telling them to leave our vegetables alone and start working on GM Snow :))

I've lived in Texas a good part of my life (San Antonio, Corpus, and Houston) and we have a saying that if you don't like the weather here wait awhile and it'll change. Yesterday I had the ac on to get the humidity out of the air-----by afternoon the temps had dropped about 10 degrees----rain all night and now we're at 46. By tonight they are predicting 28 and icy roads. And you DON'T want to be in Houston when the roads are icy-----we have many overpasses that are hazardous during good weather but icy weather will make them nightmares.

I agree with you, Constance about I'd rather have snow. Btw, I went to college many moons ago in Denton (TWU) and I bet you went to North Texas State since you mentioned a fraternity. We made a tobaggan out of garbange can lids and cardboard. Had a blast!

It MIGHT look cold and icky outside - all gray just like winter is supposed to look - but it's 63 degrees, supposed to get up to 68!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing for this time of year. Last night we sat outside with some appetizers, wine, and built a fire. I'll enjoy it while I can 'cause I'll be singing the blues because of the ice too - very soon I'm sure!

It wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be and how they were saying on the news. Thankfully, we didn't get what Oklahoma and Missouri got. We got out and drove around a little and it's trying to melt, but, it will freeze up again at 23 degrees tonight.

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 80
:mad: It's been so cold here. My brilliant ex-boss (another story for another day) felt that the best way to prevent frozen water pipes would be to shut of the well pump overnight. Water pipes still froze, and since boats connect to water with hoses - they all froze solid - hopefully they'll thaw out today so I can get a shower and get 2 days worth of dishes done! Biggest thrill from this incident - I didn't have to listen to any complaints!!!:LOL::LOL:

Hmmmmm. Im in Chicago. Its about 25F and it snowed a half inch last night. First snow in 44 days. :) No ice either. Now how can Texas get ice and WE dont? Not that I WANT to get it. :turned:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Hmmmmm. Im in Chicago. Its about 25F and it snowed a half inch last night. First snow in 44 days. :) No ice either. Now how can Texas get ice and WE dont? Not that I WANT to get it. :turned:

I haven't figured that out myself, Sush:) I guess because of the arctic air that hit with the southern moisture from the gulf just caused sleet instead of snow. I would love to get a little snow every winter around Christmas. It would feel so much more like the holidays. When I was little, we used to get snow a lot. Now I don't remember what it's like:( :LOL:

Well, the rain's finally stopped. 5 inches since the early morning hours of Saturday. The ground was already saturated, so there's flooding in low areas. The farmers LOVE that.

TG we'll be getting the cold weather you experienced. Supposed to drop, like a rock, to the low 20s or teens in the next day or so. We've been in the 50s and 60s, which will make it necessary to look for our winter coats.

One of my sisters lives in the Dallas area and she said yesterday was quite an icy mess. She had to go to the airport to pick up a friend yesterday afternoon. She said when she left, it was just beginning to mist. By the time she dropped her girlfriend off at her home, the tree limbs, etc. were coated with ice and the roads were getting nasty.

I'd rather have snow any day. Never had a problem when I lived in far northern Minnesota. When the first snowflake or bit of ice appears here people freak out..."Abandon your cars NOW!" We had snow from October to April up north and nothing stopped because of it.

Back
Top Bottom