Carmelizing Sugar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwaltero

Assistant Cook
I have a flan recipe that calls for carmelized sugar. I tried several times, following the recipe instructions, but the sugar never carmelizes. The recipe tells me to "combine 1 cup of sugar and 1/3 cup of water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook, without stirring, until syrup turns deep amber in color." Well, I followed those exact instructions - three different times - and the disolved sugar turns into crystals again. Is there a special type of sugar I need to use? What am I doing wrong?

You don't need special sugar. Granulated sugar will do just fine. When you are caramelizing the sugar, combine it and the water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or pot and put it over medium heat until the sugar melts.

Then, using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pot so that there are no undissolved bits of sugar.

Keep cooking the sugar until it turns to the golden or dark brown you want. This can take a while. Just be patient. Use as your recipe directs. Understand that the darker the color of the caramelized sugar, the more pronounced the caramel flavor will be.

Hi, welcome to DC.

Your sugar recrystallized because some moisture probably got into the pan.

Next time add a tablespoon of corn syrup to the sugar and water mix.

Yeah they didn't tell you some of the basic rules of working with sugar...

Combine sugar and water and stir together to combine into a solution while the heat is going...

THEN WASH DOWN THE SIDES OF THE POT WITH A BRUSH AND WATER!
You have to wash down all the crystals on the side of the pot because it they fall back in after you have boiled then it will grain the whole sugar solution.

Caramelization comes to sugar at about 305 Degrees F. So just be patient...it will start to brown if you wait for it to get to that temp...just be carefull because sugar can burn and light on fire so don't walk away from it...

Have fun,
Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

I would say not to add corn starch...it crystalized because you must have had sugar crystals on the side of the pot from the beginning or you were stiring after the boil...just wash down the sides and then once it starts to boil then don't touch it unless you feel you need to wash the sides down again(which is completely ok)...

Robert

Thank you so much everyone for the great advice. I guess I need to purchase a pastry brush for this process. The recipe never mentioned that, either.

a pastry brush is nice, but you can use a soaking-wet tea towel or something too. also, starting off with a lid on for a few minutes will cause the steam to build up and run down the sides, helping to wash off the sugar granules. you shouldn't stir it while it's cooking, but if for some reason you need to, be sure to rinse off the spoon to make sure there are no sugar granules on it. also, granules can tend to build up on the sides as the syrup is reducing. it's best to either brush these with water or leave them there undisturbed; don't just push them down into the syrup.

finally, i use a thin stainless pan for more instantaneous heat control. if you use a thick-bottomed pan, pull it off the heat rather before it quite gets to the color you want, as it will continue to cook for a bit. at the end of the process, the difference in cooking time between caramel and burnt and be quite short.

good luck
icon12.gif

Aha, carmelized sugar. 20 years-at least-I have tried this one. failure, failure. The recipes I have used do not ask for water to be added to sugar. Just pop the sugar in a pan, cook until melted, then turn caramel. HAH First the bloody stuff did not melt. Then scorched sugar was usually my next reward. Problem is, I want to make the foods that use the carmelized sugar. Shall I add water whenever the recipe calls for carmelized sugar? How much? Always the same amoun? Oh do I hope you good folks can help. thank you
graysmoke

aguynamedrobert said:
I would say not to add corn starch...it crystalized because you must have had sugar crystals on the side of the pot from the beginning or you were stiring after the boil...just wash down the sides and then once it starts to boil then don't touch it unless you feel you need to wash the sides down again(which is completely ok)...

Robert

Robert, it is my understanding that the addition of corn syrup will go a long way towards preventing crystalization. That would eliminate the need to wash down the sides.

Yes corn syrup is used to prevent crystalization but it is rarely used when caramelizing sugar...the reason is because it is much tougher to crystalize the sugar when it is taken to 305-310...the higher the temp the harder it is to crystalize it....but it still is possible...you can add the corn syrup but I would suggest just doing it with sugar and water....but whatever works for the person doing it.

Even when using corn syrup you still must wash down the sides...Even a caramel can crystalize and that has a lot of cornsyrup compared to sugar(it is used for the reason of preventing crystals)...Always wash down the sides when cooking sugar...No matter what

Have a good one everybody,
Robert

Just pop the sugar in a pan, cook until melted, then turn caramel

This is what I do when I make flan. I use a small enameled or stainless steel frying pan and heat up the sugar stirring pretty much constantly. At first it clumps together kind of like rock candy and then it gradually melts and turns brown. QUICKLY pour into baking dish because it hardens fast. It never really covers the whole bottom, but as the flan cooks it spreads out and always turns out just fine.

caremel sugar

tdefarnette Somehow, your directions make more sense than all I have read over the years. They never told me it may clubp first--that was when I owuld usally toss it out. I will give it anothr go. Thank you from graysmoke

Back
Top Bottom