Just picked up a calphalon set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pevaang

Assistant Cook
Now i had to justify this some how that i needed these some what. heres the situation:

1. Had an old set of pans about 3 or 4 years old that my dad gave me when I moved out. Not exactly the best set but hey what more could a 20 y/o ask for. I learned alot on these pans and used them all the time and the teflon or non-stick coating started to come off.

2. Found that Bed, Bath and Beyond sold the Calphalon Infused Anodized 10 piece set I wanted. We had a 20% off coupon for a single item, and on top of that a $100 gift card, in addition to that BBB was also having a special any calphalon set over 500 there was a $50.00 gift card included, and a set from calphalon valued at $150. The set from calphalon included a slow cooker, kitchen towel, and two cook books, not sure if it was REALLY worth 150 but hey i needed everything on my side.

3. I have been cooking a lot lately and I wanted a really good set of pans that I can grow into and last a long time.

So i took the plunge, i think in the end with tax and all it was just over 400, but that also includes 200 worth of extras.

Now one of the reasons why aattracted me to this set was becaue they said that this set browns meats really well. Well I just thought eh who knows if it really does that. Well before this set I had a decent 10' pan that I cook all of my chicken on and I thought that did a pretty good job.

Well this past weekend I made some chicken piccata for my wife and i and some guests and man did this pan deliver. The chicken had a nice golden color to it, wasnt trying to fry it but I knew there was definately a difference in color over my last pan.

Then last night I made some seared chicken, some thing quick and the chicken came out looking amazing and jucier too.

I know I am just getting my toes wet with these pans but I definately enjoy using them, and with my new knives from christmas and these pans cooking is definately more fun now.

-jeremy

I have analon anodized and I love it. It's definitely a good investment. I've had mine for about 3 years, and I use it every single day.

the top line calphalon are fine pans...you will get good use from your investment. ANd yes good pans do make a difference!

an investment is how I was looking at it. I figured I could purchase mediocre pans for 200-300 or so and probably get a good deal on them but in the end they will still be mediocre who knows how long they may last.

The feel of quality in these pans is awesome, they feel like they are made to survive world war 3. I mean you can tell alot about a cars quality when you shut the car door, the sound, feel, etc. and with these pans its the same when they are in my hand they just feel so sturdy and well built.

You will love your pans. And you talked yourself into them for all the right reasons in my book!!!! :chef: Sounds like some really neat extras too!

However they say to clean them clean them that way each and every time you wash them. Proper care will result in TRULY lasting a lifetime.

Dittos on the Calphalon One pans. I upgraded my pans 2 years ago to them. I absolutey love them. Be careful with metal utensils though. Not from the stirring but from tapping them on the rim to remove the stuff from the spoon when you're done stirring... it will leave marks. I learned this from experience.

JDP

JDP said:
Dittos on the Calphalon One pans. I upgraded my pans 2 years ago to them. I absolutey love them. Be careful with metal utensils though. Not from the stirring but from tapping them on the rim to remove the stuff from the spoon when you're done stirring... it will leave marks. I learned this from experience.

JDP

yeah i have always tried to be careful with using metal utensils to use them as less as possible. I have been using plastic, wooden and a few silicon utensils.

even though the instructions / directions say its ok to use anything on the surface i still want to be careful.

-jeremy

i've got several of the those pans too. didn't buy the set, i started buying them piece buy piece, whatever was on sale and that lnt/bbbeyond had in stock. i started buying them when my bf and i bought a house and i finally had a kitchen that's more manageable than an apt kitchen, and i absolutely love them. the bf wasn't too happy to find out how much they cost, even on sale; but hey, if he can spend a grand in the craftsman dept at sears, i can spend a few hundred on pans that will last till i have grandkids. it's a better deal anyway, spend a bunch now and not have to buy again; rather than spend a bit now and then have to buy new ones every few years when they wear out.

Kat said:
i've got several of the those pans too. didn't buy the set, i started buying them piece buy piece, whatever was on sale and that lnt/bbbeyond had in stock. i started buying them when my bf and i bought a house and i finally had a kitchen that's more manageable than an apt kitchen, and i absolutely love them. the bf wasn't too happy to find out how much they cost, even on sale; but hey, if he can spend a grand in the craftsman dept at sears, i can spend a few hundred on pans that will last till i have grandkids. it's a better deal anyway, spend a bunch now and not have to buy again; rather than spend a bit now and then have to buy new ones every few years when they wear out.

my wife and i life a decent sized condo and when i read that these pans should never be nested or stacked, i thought oh crap. luckly we found a nice pot rack and 5 of them hang from the ceiling.

i agree by spending a bit more money for something worth its quality. As a photographer there is a phrase out there about lenses and equipment in general, you buy cheap you but twice.

i think this is the first week in a long time that i made dinner every night and my wife love the benefits of my cooking too.

-jeremy

Congratulations! You will LOVE them. It is a great investment, you will definitely get a lot of use out of them, and the difference is phenominal!
I just started picking some up one at a time, and I can't believe how great they are. Why was I cooking with crappy old pans all this time? It's addicting though. My next purchase will be the panini pan with press. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom