Hi Folks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justplainbill

Executive Chef
I ran across this site when researching Espazote. I belong to a few forums where people don't seem to be nearly as pleasant as the posts I've seen here.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY and have some knowledge of Brooklyn's 'cuisine' (circa 1950's), spent two years in the Livorno area of Italy, and have spent some time in Switzerland and Germany. I'm somewhat acquainted with Slovakian and Hungarian foods and really get a kick out of the variety of foods available from the Russian community in Brighton Beach , Brooklyn. I was glad to see favorable mention of Penzeys on this forum but am concerned that their expanded presence at satellite stores will somehow negatively affect their business.

Sorry if I rambled on too much. Am looking forward to going through this forum's posts in great detail. If I'm lucky I'll be able to get the skinny on how to make Laugenwecken!

Hi Bjpb. i remember a radio show, same name. Are you familiar with Modovan food? Similar to Hungarian, very Russian. Fellow fro Peace Corps returned to Portland, OR, opened a corner cart selling coltunasi (similar to ravioli, but in Moldova grease laden) and placenta (filled bread type roll--even greasier) He did not soak in old greaee--sells out before closing every day! My landlady often gave me some of theirs. I usually fed the goats on the way to market. But, now I also make a version with less gease, meat and cheeses that are not half spoiled. Big difference. Yet, oh to have some of the Easter cakes, chicken in aspic, borsh--in all its forms, and of course the underripe walnuts served with the greatest, new, home made wine -ahhhh, noroc! bun ziuia from graysmoke

Back
Top Bottom