IceCream Machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
What is an ice cream making appliance called? I was thinking maybe it was a churn.
Store bought ice cream is sad. Ice cream stores get their ice cream from the same place as the store.
I'm going to start making my own. Does anyone make ice cream? Where do I start?

First, you should decide how much you want to spend for a machine. You can get good ones for less than $50. or really good ones for a lot more.

Then, all you need is good recipes and good ingredients. Have a great time making your own ice cream.

I bought the Cuisinart ice cream maker and am very happy with it. I'm not clever enough to make up recipes but each one I've tried has been successful.

If you happen to buy a Cuisinart, make sure you purchase the one with 2 bowls.

Also, I don't make more than I can serve because since there isn't much air in the homemade ice cream (a good thing) it gets very dense when frozen in the freezer and imho, it isn't as good.

Last edited:
This is a recipe from Cuisinart's. This is a recipe for "freezer ice cream". These are just mixers. I am thinking dry ice method.

Thank you for your help. You have saved me some time and money. I think those ice cream machines at the store are probably the same. I have been so tempted to put one in the cart.

It may be a challenge to find one. In the end, I may wind up at the Antique Shop. lol :LOL:

Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
Crushed chocolate mint candies and rich chocolate ice cream create a refreshing taste sensation.

ServingsMakes 10 1/2-cup servings

Ingredients2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 cup whole milk, chilled
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed chocolate mint candies, such as Andes® (about 15 mints)

Instructions
  1. Combine heavy cream, whole milk, chocolate syrup, sugar and vanilla (not mint candies) in a medium mixing bowl and combine until well blended. Pour into freezer bowl of a Cuisinart® Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker. Turn the machine ON and let mix until mixture thickens, about 20 - 25 minutes. Add crushed chocolate mint candies to ice cream during last 5 - 10 minutes of mixing. Turn the machine OFF. Transfer to an air tight container and place in freezer until firm, about 2 hours.

I've been looking for a good one since December, but stores keep telling me it's not a winter item (!)

I think I've heard that the kitchen aid one is good. Anyone know about it?

I have a rival, it was under $50. It's ok, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's really noisy, and the canister doesn't seem to hold a chill for that long.

The absolute best homemade churn I have found is a White Mountain...they have manual and electric...Be prepared to spend so cash..but you want be disappointed!

Love this thread already! I have often wondered actually what to buy and with the summer coming up..............well after the winter and spring, but a girl can plan ahead right?! :chef:

I've been making my own ice cream for around 25 years. For most of those, I've used a Cuisinart -- not the commercial model, the one that has the freeon (or whatever it is) inside the bowl. It costs around $50, and sometimes on cooking.com you can find them for less. I keep the bowl in my freezer so it's always ready.

There's no question that home made ice cream is yards better than commercial! and you can be sure of the products you are using... you can choose hormone-free dairy products, you can control the fat content, and all manner of variables, to say nothing of the flavor!

I say go for it! :D

also meant to mention that I'm on my 2nd Cuisinart ice cream freezer, the first one having served yeoman's duty for more than 10 years!

Last edited:
StirBlue said:
What is an ice cream making appliance called? I was thinking maybe it was a churn.
Store bought ice cream is sad. Ice cream stores get their ice cream from the same place as the store.
I'm going to start making my own. Does anyone make ice cream? Where do I start?

they have so many wonderful ice cream makers out there. a good way to start is online. i agree with you!

Uncle Bob said:
The absolute best homemade churn I have found is a White Mountain...they have manual and electric...Be prepared to spend so cash..but you want be disappointed!
is this the one?

(Amazon has it listed at $229.95, on sale for $155.91)

jkath....

Yes mam..that is it!!

Sounds cheap for an electric model...but I have not priced one in years.
If I remember...they had a 4 qt. and 6 qt...model....

jkath said:
is this the one?

(Amazon has it listed at $229.95, on sale for $155.91)

I had one like that, but it was the 4-qt. electric model. It lasted for 20 years.

But after a while, it began making and awful squeaking sound that was just too unbearable, so I had no other choice but to throw it away.

However, I DO have a self-contained unit that works very well. You can get recipe books for ice cream at your local book store. There are some scrumptious recipes that you'll be tempted to try!

One of my favorites is Royal Vanilla ice cream.

jkath

Still have not shopped the net for a White Mountain...So I would agree.
A 6 qt electric White Mountain brand new for that price I think would be good...Mine is a 6 quart manual turn...We wanted it that way...Nostalgic I suppose....:rolleyes:

A full batch(6 quarts frozen custard) takes longer to make and is harder to crank towards the end of the process... It has to be a big party to make a full batch.....So we usually make a half batch which is still a lot of ice cream....Mine is 12 to 15 year old...no problem...So it gets 5 STARS from me.;)

If you would typically need smaller quantities of ice cream, consider this. I have been using this machine for years and it makes very good ice cream.

Do any of you ever make "healthier" ice cream in your units? You know...low fat, low sugar...all that other kind of stuff? Or is not available/possible without those special commercial/industrial ingredients?

I never have tried...I always want the un-healthy kind..lots of cream, eggs, etc....:LOL:

However I don't see why..using lowfat milk, maybe splenda type sweetner wouldn't work...then again it may not freeze correctly...might be kinda icey as opposed to smooth and creamy...I just don't know...But worth a try for sure!!

It's just hard to find a commercial ice cream that's both low fat AND low in sugar.

I think I have a recipe, now that you mention Splenda, in my Splenda cookbook. I'll have to check when I get home...

Back
Top Bottom