Royal Baking-Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charmian

Assistant Cook
I am new at this. I thought this might be the place to find out about the above mix. I have inherited some recipe cards from my mother which were published by Royal Baking Powder in the early 60's. A lot of the recipes list Royal Baking Mix as an ingredient and say look at Master recipe card.:( HERE is the Hitch it's lost!! I hope somewhere there is someone who can help.

Without seeing some of the other recipes in the series, I would have to guess that their "mix" would've been something we might know as Bisquick today.

Bisquick is readily available in most grocery stores/markets and you can make your own homemade version of it. I've had a recipe for the homemade type that is quite good.

If you google "Royal Baking Mix" it leads to war time recipes including Royal products. You may find what you are looking for there.

charmian said:
I have inherited some recipe cards from my mother which were published by Royal Baking Powder in the early 60's. A lot of the recipes list Royal Baking Mix as an ingredient and say look at Master recipe card.

Give us an example to work from: name of a recipe (something like biscuits, etc.) and the amount of the Royal Baking Mix called for in the recipe. Actually - if you could give us the complete ingredient list I bet we can figure it out.

I am new at this. I thought this might be the place to find out about the above mix. I have inherited some recipe cards from my mother which were published by Royal Baking Powder in the early 60's. A lot of the recipes list Royal Baking Mix as an ingredient and say look at Master recipe card.:( HERE is the Hitch it's lost!! I hope somewhere there is someone who can help.

Dear Charmian,

See the recipe below, I hope it is of use !

ROYAL BAKING MIX MASTER RECIPE

7 cups flour
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp Royal Baking Powder
1 1/2 cups (3/4lb) any high grade vegetable shortening (do not use butter)

Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl or on a large sheet of paper.

Rub in the shortening until the mixture looks like fine mealie meal.

Store it in a tin with a tight lid, or in a screw-top jar, & keep it on a shelf in the pantry.

Use as required.

This mixture will keep for 8-10 weeks, if stored in a cool pantry. It is not necessary to keep it in a refrigerator.

Hope this is the one you're looking for. Ex S.A'n.
There are also mixes for crust pastry & flaky pastry

What are planning to make with this recipe? let us know if it works out. I find not all South African recipes work out in Canada.

Regards,
Leon:chef:

16629-albums905-picture4945.gif

Whew..lotta dust on that thread. :LOL:
Howdy, Leon
Welcome to D.C.!
I thank you for the info on that baking mix!
It'll come in handy!

Back
Top Bottom