QUICK and EASY steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thing I like to do with a steak you only do the salt and pepper thing to and grill is to to make a gorgonzola, horseradish topping for it.

2T diced shallot in a pan with 3T olive oil, cook till translucent
Remove from heat and stir in enough fine bread crumbs to absorb oil
Mix in horseradish, crumbled gorgonozola, chopped fresh parsley
Season to taste with salt, pepper

* Horseradish and blue cheese are also to taste. I will usually start with 1t hr and 1/4 C gorg. Also a little of Hot smoked Spanish paprika is good.

Once the steak is done top with bread crumb and put under broiler till browned. Then let the steak rest for 10 minutes.

JDP

Zim,

IMO the way you are cooking the meat will encourage it to be tough. Not enough heat and you are steaming the meat when you cover it.

Try heating your oven to 450. When it's good and hot, take a cast iron skillet and set it on med high heat on your stove and get it hot. You can also use a stainless steel skillet or other oven-safe skillet.

Sear the steak on both sides. That means cook it til it gets a nice brown crust on it. About 1-2 min per side.

Then put the skillet into the oven to let the steak cook on high dry heat.

It will take another 8 min or so to get to medium.

This may smoke up the kitchen a bit, but is IMO the best way to cook steak indoors and is pretty much foolproof.

I use the same method as jennyema whenever I make my steaks in a pan ( i prefer the grill) and I have to say I think it is the best way, no matter whay rub or marinade you're using.

I feel that I should mention that the 450 degree oven is not an exact nuumber to follow. What temp. you use really depends on your oven, gas vs. electric, elevation, and who knows what else, probably the moon cycle and whether or not Jupiter is in the sky. My point is, work with your oven, and find the temp that works best for you. For example, I leave mine at only 400 degrees, because thats hot enough to do my steaks. It may not be enough for most people, I don't know, because I only use my oven. I would say though, that you probably shouldn't stray too far from the 400-450 range.

When you are grilling a big ol' thick steak, after you have seared both sides, do you put the lid down so it bakes like an oven?

99% of the time, my steaks are thin so I just flip and then flop. :LOL:

With my 2 inch thick steaks I do put the lid down when usint the gas grill(cold winter cooking) but on my Webber I leave the lid off for the whole process and have a hot and warm zone on the grill. Hot for the initail searing and the warm as the finishing side. Then while the steaks are resting I throw on some veggies like summer squash, red bell peppers and scallions still with the lid off.

JDP

For the quickest, easiest steak, and one of the tastiest steaks, all you need is three ingredients but they should be top notch:

The best quality steak you can get, prime or choice (Rib eye, NY, T-Bone, Porterhouse)
Fleur de Sel
Fresh Cracked Pepper

Use the method that Jenny suggested but go more for medium rare then medium, about 6-7 minutes. Season with the pepper only before searing. Finish the steak with a light sprinkle of fleur de sel before serving. You'll get the purest beef flavor with this method. And forget the grill. Pan searing will give you a more tasty and juicy steak.

And forget the grill. Pan searing will give you a more tasty and juicy steak. [/quote].

I would have to respectfully disagree with this statement. The flavor derived from grilling truly compliments the meat whether it's a gas grill, charcoal grill or over an open camp fire. Yes pan searing does give a nice flavor to a good steak but IMHO outside is the way to go.

JDP

"My better than restaurant steaks"

Ribeye or porterhouse steaks

Canola/olive oil
kosher salt
onion powder
garlic powder

Start by coating the steak(s) in oil then shake on some onion and galic powder on both sides. Then shake on the kosher salt.

Cook in Flavorwave Deluxe at 400 deg. 10 minutes on each side.

Flavorwave deluxe can be seen here: Flavor Wave Oven® Deluxe

The reason that i dont use black pepper on my steak is that black pepper is too strong of a flavoring. You want the flavors to compliment the meat and not mask the flavor of it. Garlic and onion compliment the beef wonderfully and the kosher salt amplifys the flavor of the beef while tenderizing it as well.

Last edited:
Thanks JDP! Mr HB and I fuss about this all the time. I want to leave the lid raised on the grill but he prefers to shut it.

ironchef said:
Unless you incorporate the salt into a brine or cure, how does the salt tenderize the meat?

When the salt grains melt it goes into the meat making it juicy.

ironchef said:
Salt draws out the juice from the meat. It does not tenderize the meat in that way.

Maybe it s the cooking device that makes it juicy. I havent cooked steak any other way since i've bough the flavorwave a few years ago and i always use the same recipe.. Guess i just assumed it was the kosher salt. But you have to admit it....kosher salt on a steak is much better than table salt.

petey said:
Maybe it s the cooking device that makes it juicy. I havent cooked steak any other way since i've bough the flavorwave a few years ago and i always use the same recipe.. Guess i just assumed it was the kosher salt. But you have to admit it....kosher salt on a steak is much better than table salt.

I agree, kosher salt is better than table salt. I haven't used table salt in a commerical kitchen in a long time. Part of the juicyness is the cooking method and part of it is the quality and cut of steak. That's why I don't prefer grilling because you can't seal in those juices quick enough.

ironchef, I have to say I am a bit confused. You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this board when it comes to cooking. I have learned a tremendous amount from you and trust you when you speak. That is why I am so confused by this statement
ironchef said:
That's why I don't prefer grilling because you can't seal in those juices quick enough.
I usually cook my steak on my grill and unless I accidentally overcook it then my steak is always loaded with juice. If there was any more juice then it would be soup.

GB said:
ironchef, I have to say I am a bit confused. You are one of the most knowledgeable people on this board when it comes to cooking. I have learned a tremendous amount from you and trust you when you speak. That is why I am so confused by this statement
I usually cook my steak on my grill and unless I accidentally overcook it then my steak is always loaded with juice. If there was any more juice then it would be soup.

Many really top notch steak houses use a quick, high temperature sear/oven roast method when cooking their steaks. I used to be partial to a grilled steak until I became a fan of the method employed at these places:

Bob's Steak & Chop House

Ringside Steakhouse - America's top Steakhouse, Traditional steakhouse, Late night dining in portland,Special Occasion dining

Spencer's Spokane: Home Page

Donovan's Steakhouse Restaurants | Phoenix Arizona, San Diego/La Jolla Fine Restaurants

I am not saying that that is not a great way to cook a steak. I know for a fact that it is. What I am saying though is that grilling a steak can work too and your comment about not being able to seal in the juices fast enough is not something I have ever experienced. My experiences with grilling steak has always (again unless it was overcooked) resulted in tons of juice.

GB said:
I am not saying that that is not a great way to cook a steak. I know for a fact that it is. What I am saying though is that grilling a steak can work too and your comment about not being able to seal in the juices fast enough is not something I have ever experienced. My experiences with grilling steak has always (again unless it was overcooked) resulted in tons of juice.

IMO I just don't think it can do it as fast as a high temp. pan sear. That's not to say it can't be done, because of course it can be done. I just don't prefer to sear it off of a grill.

With that being said, I usually run my steak-type meats on my menus off of grill preperations strictly for guest appeal. In many people's minds, just the term "grilled" conjures up something done only on special occasions so it just sounds more appealing; it's not a method of cooking employed by most people on an everyday basis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom