QUICK and EASY steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
I remember the same thing Andy. I could be wrong, but I think I read it from Robert Wolke.

I think you're right, GB. I saw the Alton Brown show on the topic as well. I'd put my money on Wolke.

McGee's book says the same thing. But whether it does or not, a properly seared and browned steak tastes signficantly better than a steak that is not. That alone is reason enough to sear the meat at a high temp.

ironchef said:
McGee's book says the same thing. But whether it does or not, a properly seared and browned steak tastes signficantly better than a steak that is not. That alone is reason enough to sear the meat at a high temp.

I agree as well. It's just not the same without the sear.

ironchef said:

There's no question the sear is key. You do it for the flavor it provides.

My favorite way to make a quick steak.

Oven to 450. Season your cut of meat with Montreal Steak Seasoning. In an oven proof skillet cook steak over mid-high heat with a bit of oil 2-3 min a side. Put a pat of butter (1 T) on top of steak and add sliced mushrooms around the steak. Bake for 5-8 minutes depending on how you like you steak.

Burn warning: The handle will be hot!!! I have forgotten this and burned my hand before:( Don't forget the hot mitts!

Yum, steak with mushrooms. Sometimes if i am feeling rather naughty I will mix 1/4 cup sourcream with 1 tsp horseradish for dipping.

Av

petey said:
"My better than restaurant steaks"

Garlic and onion compliment the beef wonderfully and the kosher salt amplifys the flavor of the beef while tenderizing it as well.

The salt won't tenderize but it will draw additional moisture out and protiens to the surface creating a better and tastier sear.

JDP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom