QUICK and EASY steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zim

Assistant Cook
Hello!

I'm not much of a cook, in fact it's only in this past year that I've started learning how to. I've been doing my steaks pretty much the same way every time I make them which I'm getting awfully sick of. I tried searching Google for quick and easy steak recipes but I got so overwhelmed by all the different things!!!

Does anyone have any quick and easy steak recipes they could share with me?

Well, steak is steak. If you want a marinade try equal portions of teriyaki sauce, white wine, and pineapple juice. This also works well for chicken wings.

I also have slathered some thick BBQ sauce on one right before grilling.

Can you tell us how you have been making it so we can suggest alternative ways?

If it is a good piece of meat then you really don't need anything except for some salt.

Kitchenelf- Thanks for those suggestions.... I'll keep them in mind.

GB- I've only done steak two ways... With salt, peper, and this steak seasoning stuff, and the other way is using some steak rub. Both in a pan..

Really? Just salt?

Yep just salt. Take your steak out of the fridge about a half hour before you are ready to cook it. Rub both sides with a few pinches of kosher salt. Cook to your desired temp (hopefully not more than med rare).

You are also try a variety of rubs. Here is my favorite:

2 parts fresh ground black pepper
2 parts lemon pepper
2 parts cayenne pepper
2 parts chili powder
2 parts dry mustard
2 parts light brown sugar
1 part tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Mmm, that rub sounds tasty. I think I'm going to try that! Thank you!!!

Errr... One question. What do you mean by two parts??

Two parts can be any measurement you want. For instance, lets say you used a tablespoon as a measurement. 2 parts would be two tablespoons. You could use just about anything. If you were making a lot then the measurement could be something like a dixie cup. 2 parts would be two dixie cups worth.

Denoting measurements by parts is a common way of measuring ingredients. For example, if a recipe called for 2 parts salt, and one part pepper, it means to use twice as much salt as pepper. Its just a way to get the proper proportions of ingredients, usually for things like dry rubs, marinades, and bar drinks.

Only so much of your dry rub will actually stick to the meat, so as long as you have the proper proportions in your rub mixture, your steak will have the right flavor.

If I could ask, what cuts of meat are you using? Also, could you elaborate on your cooking method? You said you're cooking in a pan, but are you simply pan-cooking to you desired doneness over low heat, or are you searing it first, and finishing in the oven?

Here is a favorite rub of mine by Bobby Flay. Note that it doesn't have to be done one ribeye steaks or on cuts of such a large size.

By the way, my rub can be used on anything else too. It is great on chicken and very good on fish too. For chicken, I like to rub it on 24 hours in advance, but even minutes before cooking works. Same with the steak. Rub it on in advance so it has time to penetrate, but even if you don't it will still be great.

In my circle of friends we have run the gamet on steaks from different marinades and rubs. We have now come full circle. Our conclusion from our journey is steak is best when simplified. I will buy a 2 inch thick choice sirloin, ribeye, ny or kc strip, poter or t-bone. I buy it 3 days before cooking and place it on a rack inside a pan with a paper towel over it and put it into a cold part of the frigde. Let it set for 3 days to dry a bit. Pull it out around noon and rub it with a light coat of olive oil and season with sea salt and fresh pepper. I start cooking around 6:00. On a hot grill I give it 3 minutes and quarter turn ( cross marks) another 2.5 minutes and flip. Repeat previous step and remove from grill. Tent it with foil and allow to rest 10 minutes. Then enjoy. A good steak needs very little help. This is very easy and just takes some planning.

JDP

Ok that makes sense, thanks.

Uhm, I'm not actually sure... I just buy what looks good but I think it's always the same cut... It doesn't have a bone in it and it's just a normal steak... lol. *obviously doesn't know what she's talking about*

Here's exactly what I do: I have the pan on medium-high heat. After three minutes I turn the steak, let it cook for 3 minutes, then I turn the heat down to just under medium, put the lid on and let it cook for about 4 minutes... well actually that last time always varies because I'm never sure when it's done and haven't managed to get it right yet...

Zimm if that works out well for you then enjoy it. My friends and I will tend to over analyze our whole cooking process trying to make the perfect steak. And prior to that and during the cooking process we are discussing the wine we are drinking and all of it's unique characteristics. It's hard to believe that when we first met we were drinking Bush Light beer and running to Mcdonald's when we need a break from fishing.

JDP

GB....fine combination...except for the chili powder. We don't like the chili powder we have had. Do you thinnk perhaps we need a new brand or just some new chili powder. Do you have a favorite brand?

Aria said:
GB....fine combination...except for the chili powder. We don't like the chili powder we have had. Do you thinnk perhaps we need a new brand or just some new chili powder. Do you have a favorite brand?

Alot of what we find here in the US when it is labled "Chili Powder" is a blend of chili's along with cumin, onion and garlic powder and possibly more things. I like to go to the Mexican markets and by a variety of ground chilis and mix and match them myself.

JDP

If you look further into the site GB linked, you'll find several strengths of chili powder, which is a blend of ground pepper and other seasonings as JDP said. Along with them, you will find ground chile peppers of different types.

Here is a favorite rub of mine by Bobby Flay. Note that it doesn't have to be done one ribeye steaks or on cuts of such a large size.[/quote]

college cook i love that rub it is wonderful, i bought two beautiful
ribeye steaks yesterday going to grill them with this rub saturday.

yumm

zin, i also like just plain old salt and pepper as a rub too. For a
marinade 2 parts vodka, and one part wishcashar(sp) sauce.
very good

This is by far my favorite steak marinade (it also works well with lamb). I use it all the time for less expensive cuts like chuck steak, London broil-type cuts, flank, skirt, etc.

BREEZY 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 MARINADE

In a plastic ziplock bag, bowl, or dish large enough to hold the meat & marinade, combine:

1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of dry sherry
3 tablespoons of oil (any type of your choosing)
4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed, & roughly chopped

Add meat & marinate for a minimum of one hour to overnight. Grill, broil, or pan sauté meat as desired.

i HIGHLY reccomend you try this marinade that Raine posted a while back..its fantastic!!

Beer marinated grilled steak

12 oz beer (lager style)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T coarse ground Dijon mustard
2 T minced garlic
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1 T freshly ground pepper
1 t salt

Place steak in a resealable bag. In a bowl mix together all the marinade ingredients and pour over steak. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.

linky to thread here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/beer-marinated-grilled-steak-tnt-8590.html?highlight=beer+marinated+steak

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom