Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cook's Tools (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/)
-   -   Knife Sharpening (Not Honing) (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f88/knife-sharpening-not-honing-31504.html)

petey 01-22-2007 06:19 AM

Knife Sharpening (Not Honing)

Ok, I'm looking for advice on getting my knives sharpened a few times per year. Sharpening as in putting them up to a grinder to renew the blade.
Anyone know of any inexpensive machinery or service that will do it for you?

Thanks

GB 01-22-2007 08:01 AM

Check out both the Lansky universal and the Lansky Crock Stick. Lansky makes a great product. I have both of there. I prefer the crock stick, but both work very well.

Candocook 01-22-2007 08:27 AM

Chef's Choice 130 gets good reviews I have heard. I use a crock stick and it is pretty good for a while. Sur La Table has free sharpening once or twice a year--3 knives free, $1/inch over. I think they use the 130.

GB 01-22-2007 08:30 AM

I would never use an electric sharpener with my good knives. I have used chefs choice before and really hated the results.

StanW 01-22-2007 08:45 AM

Suggest you try DMT Diamond Sharpeners, they are fast and effective for keeping knives sharp and not damaging knives like electric sharpeners can.

Hopz 01-22-2007 11:03 AM

May I suggest you use a professional service. Get the knife blade in shape and from then on use the "steel", and if really needed use the diamond or ceramic sticks.

OBTW the best way to keep a knife sharp includes, at least, wipe after every use, if not clean w/ soap and water. Never put a good knife in a dishwasher, never put it in the sink, never let it sit overnight dirty, and never use it for anything it was not designed for.

No opening mail, no craft projects, no hacking bones, prying up a stuck lid, etc.

wxtornado 01-22-2007 11:07 AM

For those in the know, isn't it correct to use whetstones for the main shapening task, and to use a sharpening steel in between? It depends on the knife also, right? For instance, some knives should only be sharpened with a ceramic steel.

wxtornado 01-22-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wxtornado
For those in the know, isn't it correct to use whetstones for the main shapening task, and to use a sharpening steel in between? It depends on the knife also, right? For instance, some knives should only be sharpened with a ceramic steel.

Lol, "ceramic steel" just sounds kooky.:lol:

Caine 01-22-2007 12:26 PM

The manufacturer of my knives rcommends the Presto EverSharp knife sharpener. I have one, and if handled with the utmost care, it does a fantastic job on even your most expensive knives.

petey 01-22-2007 02:26 PM

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Turns out I accicently found a restaurant supply store during work , stopped in and asked them and they gave me info on where to take my knives sharpened. Its only about 20 minutes from my home. Just have to find out how much $ it costs.