Knife Sharpening (Not Honing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeekinz said:
As a woodworker, I'm constantly sharpening carving tools, chisels, knives etc. For my kitchen knives, I use a Japanese water stone like the one below. I prefer this method for one, because it removes the least amount of steel which will give my knives a longer life. Also, there are sharpening stones that are use water as a lubricant and others that use oil as a lubricant. I have found and read that using the oil the micro shavings from the blade just stick to the knife which in turn would become an abrasive instead of a lubricant.

There is a good tutorial on the Food Network site, and you can find articles on the web regarding sharpening. It is not hard to do as long as you have the patience. I sharpened a 10" chef, 10" slicer, boning & paring knife last weekend, it took me about 30-40 min. total.

(then you can sharpen everyone else's knives):ermm:

sharpeningstone-water-pr7051200

Excellent points and a beautiful stone. Is that 6000 grit, you could sharpen a razor blade on that thing.

Yes, 6000. I have quite a few sharpening stones. I also use a set of 3 Japanese stones ranging from 1200 - 6000 if the edge it pretty damaged. I sharpened a set of Kitchen Aid's for my mother last weekend. That was the first time I began to realize the difference in knife manufacturing. Although they were forged and looked closely identical to my Lamson's, when they initially ground the edge they stopped just shy of the bolster. For this, I used an Arkansas/oil combo to create the edge, then sharpened on the whetstones.

I saw the Alton Brown's (it's on Youtube) clip on knife sharpening. As I usually agree with him, that clip is just ridiculous. I would NEVER run my knives through a grinder, NEVER. He also states to leave the sharpening to a pro...also ridiculous. The tutorial on Foodnetwork is great, the woman there is very knowlegable.

As I stated earlier, anyone can sharpen their own knives with a little practice. Just practice on an old knife or pick up a cheap one. The stones are approx. $25 ea.

I use the sharpening stone about twice a year on my most used knives, once for those less used. My diamond hone is my main sharpener, monthly or twice so for most used knife. Honing steel with every use of the knife. I have no problems, have razor sharp knives, and haven't ruined any.
How did I learn? I went to a thrift shop and bought a few dull ancient carbon steel knives for a few bucks and read up on sharpening (internt and the instructions with my stone etc. and then practiced. It did not take long to get the hang of it...really, and I'm not Mr. Fixit.

Now if I lived in a city or town where the sharpener guy came around every couple months in his truck, I might use him and not have learned. But such has not been the case since 1975 when I left the Wash DC area.

However you decide to sharpen your knives ... rod system, stone, two sided sharpener thingy, there is no good reason for a passionate cook to have dull tools.

Elcameron,

I see where you're coming from now, i.e. a professional with a grinder. I was thinking of a professional that would use a stone, etc. much the way you describe what you do; someone who is experienced with manual techniques, so to speak.

Thanks for the clarification.

Paul

I would be suprised if you could find someone to sharpen your knives with a stone. It would not be profitable.

Grind it 2 minutes = $3
Stone 15 minutes plus = $??

elcameron said:
I would be suprised if you could find someone to sharpen your knives with a stone. It would not be profitable.

Grind it 2 minutes = $3
Stone 15 minutes plus = $??

Actually, the butcher at my local meat market offered to sharpen my knives for free, on a stone.

Caine said:
Actually, the butcher at my local meat market offered to sharpen my knives for free, on a stone.

You should definately take him up on that offer.

Back
Top Bottom