Kitchen Confidential

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsi88kid

Senior Cook
Did anyone read this book by anthony bourdain? I am in the process of reading it and I must say this is the best book I have ever read. It is so in depth and he doesn't just talk about cooking or techniques, he actually rarley talkings about cooking. He talks about his experiences and how he came up. I love this book what do you guys think?

All of his books are wonderful! He has even written some fiction...such a brilliant man.

You might enjoy this site: Anthony Bourdain

I met him at a book signing. Wow, he has charisma and is sexy as he**....and although I'm in my 50s and happy with Mr HB, I'm not dead.

Yup - I loved the book too. Husband bought it for me. I also just received his The Nasty Bits, gratis via some promotion that someone on our site here put us onto. Will be reading that next, & imagine his Les Halles cookbook (from his restaurant) will be my next cookbook purchase.

Also enjoy his Monday night show on "The Travel Channel".

He's one very interesting guy.

I just saw his show on travel channel last night for the first time. I had heard about it but never saw it. He was in african dessert with a tribe and I was like no way that cant be him and then they said it was and I was definatly surprised.

While I do like him & the show, last night's was a bit much for me foodwise - & I've never been one known to be "unadventurous" as far as food goes.

The Warthog anus had me covering my head with a pillow through nearly the whole segment - lol!!!

I am in the process of reading this book too. It is a great read! I find it so interesting because all the things he describes are pain and torture and horrible things, but for some reason the way he talks about them it makes me want to have those same experiences as well.

I know exactly what you mean GB! After reading the first part about the guy who picks up a red hot saute pan and doesn't even flinch I pick up everything at work no matter if its burning hot or just warm. I just pick whatever it is up and try not to think twice about it.

tsi88kid said:
I know exactly what you mean GB! After reading the first part about the guy who picks up a red hot saute pan and doesn't even flinch I pick up everything at work no matter if its burning hot or just warm. I just pick whatever it is up and try not to think twice about it.

geez, and I'm looking for the silicone handles for my castiron that hasn't even arrived yet. I know I'll grab them without thinking and lose all the skin on my hands. :rolleyes:

Trust me - I don't think AB thinks that purposely picking up red-hot pot & pan handles is smart, regardless of what happens in his professional kitchens. Me thinks a bit of common sense is in order here!

BreezyCooking said:
Trust me - I don't think AB thinks that purposely picking up red-hot pot & pan handles is smart, regardless of what happens in his professional kitchens. Me thinks a bit of common sense is in order here!

Couldn't agree more. Kitchen warriors usually end up with unnecessary injuries and put more work load on others as they heal. There is nothing smart or cool or adventerous about picking up red hot pans.

No GB, I did not.

Would reading the book influence how I feel about picking up hot pans or the potential damage they can do the body or the havoc they can create in a busy kitchen?

GB - yes, I own & read the book.

That still has no bearing on the fact that Anthony Bourdain is still a very common sense person. If you walked up to him & bragged that, in your home kitchen, you too pick up scalding hot pots & pans regardless of your safety, he'd most probably call you an idiot to your face - lol!!!!

It would influence you in knowing where the comment came from. The comment about doing that was not because it is cool. It was taken directly from the book.

In the book AB talks about one of his first experiences in a real kitchen. He was basically trying out for a spot to work there. Something happened (I do not recall what exactly) and he got a small cut on his finger. he asked for a bandage. The kitchen stopped what it was doing. one of the old timers there said that he could not believe he was stopping work to ask for something like that. He then proceeded to pull a cast iron pan out of the oven with his bare hands. He did not flinch at all as he did this. The guys hands were so calloused and worked that he did not feel the heat. He was basically telling AB that if he wants to make it in that field then he has to toughen up a bit.

BreezyCooking said:
GB - yes, I own & read the book.

That still has no bearing on the fact that Anthony Bourdain is still a very common sense person. If you walked up to him & bragged that, in your home kitchen, you too pick up scalding hot pots & pans regardless of your safety, he'd most probably call you an idiot to your face - lol!!!!
I disagree. I think he would see it as smart. You can easily desensitize your hands to pain if you do it in a smart way. You don't start out by grabbing red hot pans, but you start slow and work your way up. People do this all the time. Look at the martial arts for instance.

building up callouses on your hands is pretty smart if you are going to be working in an environment where you may accidentally grab a hot pan from time to time or have an accident with a knife.

When you get so much as a papercut in the kitchen and you are using your hands, the pressure causes even a small cut to bleed more than usual.
I guess it is the human blood factor that causes our recipes to differ! :sick:

If I'm already waiting an hour for a meal in a restaurant, I can wait a minute or two more for a bandaid.

I would also like to think that the callus came from hard work rather than show-off chef.

No GB; I did not read the book.

If people put a thermometer in their dish washing water, it would probably be 140F + . Burns are serious business and can cause permanent nerve damage.

I am asking what influence this will have in the culinary arts schools?

StirBlue, I understand what you are saying and from a consumers point of view I agree with you. This was taken from the employees point of view in real life. AB's point is that a commercial kitchen is a place when things happen and you need to not be a wimp about it. These things are not always safe or sanitary or smart, but that is the way it is and if you can't handle that then you will not make it in the kitchens he is talking about.

I don't think AB was glorifying pain or sex in the kitchen. I believe he was just stating facts as he saw them. All of his books were very entertaining and I sent them to my sons who used to work in kitchens. They howl over the pages because they saw so many of the same antics.

Antics is the wrong word. They saw many of the same screw ups. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom