Anyone going to Mardi Gras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
5 years ago, Lou gave me a trip to New Orleans for my 40th birthday. We loved it, it felt like we'd lived there, centuries ago, on so many different levels. We were there in March, the weather was beautiful. I spent a fortune shopping:ermm:. We ate like Bacchus. We've been to New Orleans 4 times already (which, when you consider how the rest of the earth's travel destinations are vying for our travel dollars, that's no small feat), always in the spring, with the exception of our last trip, Christmas/New Year's eve, 2006, post Katrina. We've never visited for Mardi Gras for a variety of reasons, not the least being we simply don't care for drunken frat boys vomitting in technicolour. We've toured all the cemeteries, all the plantations, all the swamps, we've jazzed up and down the river, 'marked our territory' in discreet corners of St. Paul's street, bopped our way from bar to bar (yes, they do give out 'rain hats' to everyone that goes into the gay bars) and cried when we saw the red Xs on all the magnificent doors of the quarter and cried harder when you fly over the devestated 9th ward.

We want Mardi Gras! We shall have Mardi Gras or it will have us. We're leaving on 18 February and returning 23 February. We've got itineraries, plans, reservations...and the seat of our pants. We both got brand new pairs of New Balance (eeeegads, how oh how does a lovely victorian such as myself don a pair of 'sneakers' and present herself to society??? I may need smelling salts:wacko:)

Is anyone else going?? Anyone live there?? (careful how you respond to that..I may decide you need an impish redheaded tattooed victorian houseguest several times a year...I will display impecable manners, I do so solemly swear.)

Throw me something, Mister!!!

Dove said:
VeraBlue
Have a great time and take pictures to post. I would love to see the real you.
marge
I did post pictures of my florida trip to my parents place...back in November. The real me is, well.....me!

I have no idea how to link to that post...but I posted them in a thread I started on November 29th...

Last edited:
(We loved it, it felt like we'd lived there, centuries ago, on so many different levels.)

I felt the same way when I was in Boston area. It was like coming home.

Went there 3 times in my 20s, but I tried to avoid Mardi Gras. I wanted to find the real New Orleans. Im very sure its fun during Mardi Gras though. But seeing everything drunk and/or hungover isnt my cup of tea. Wish I could enjoy that stuff.

VeraBlue,

I don't know about post-Katrina N.O., but when we lived there they had more than just one parade during Mardi Gras----some more family friendly than others. Especially the ones on the West Bank which were held during the day. The raucous, drunken, orgy that most people associate with MG is the one hosted by the Krewe of Bacchus and that one we always avoided. If you want a lot of loot I'd suggest that you rent a cute toddler, dress them in a costume, and have them on your shoulders. Krewe revelers will lean out of their floats to give them stuff or drape necklaces over them. You won't be able to walk!! HaHa! Wishing you and any other DC'ers who are going to have a great time and let us know how things went.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Went there 3 times in my 20s, but I tried to avoid Mardi Gras. I wanted to find the real New Orleans. Im very sure its fun during Mardi Gras though. But seeing everything drunk and/or hungover isnt my cup of tea. Wish I could enjoy that stuff.

That's the reason we've visited the city without benefit of Mardi Gras so many times already. We wanted to see the city with a little breathing room. But, the city needs people to come and experience MG either again or for the first time. If ever a place needed to feel like it's old self again, it's NOLA. I have a feeling this may be the last year that the celebrations are not as crowded as in previous years.

expatgirl said:
VeraBlue,

I don't know about post-Katrina N.O., but when we lived there they had more than just one parade during Mardi Gras----some more family friendly than others. Especially the ones on the West Bank which were held during the day. The raucous, drunken, orgy that most people associate with MG is the one hosted by the Krewe of Bacchus and that one we always avoided. If you want a lot of loot I'd suggest that you rent a cute toddler, dress them in a costume, and have them on your shoulders. Krewe revelers will lean out of their floats to give them stuff or drape necklaces over them. You won't be able to walk!! HaHa! Wishing you and any other DC'ers who are going to have a great time and let us know how things went.

There are 7 that I am aware of during the days we are visiting, and probably more than that! When Lou and I were there for St. Patrick's day, I had so many throws around my neck that it was difficult to stand up straight! Who needs a kid? Just wink and smile pretty:winkiss:

wish I wuz going witcha, but we must hoard dollars for a trip to Chi-town for niece's wedding on St. Paddy's Day and daughter's trip to Europe this summer.

sheesh, the things we do for kids.........

have fun without me, sniff, sniff. I know you will eat well wherever you land.

I use to live there; for a couple of years and be warned--when the zooloo float comes by throwing coconuts--don't get hit in the mouth like my girlfriend did and knocked loose her tooth. But try and get one because they are a valuable keep sake and you can sell one if you want to. Take a huge bag to hold all your beads and coins in. Don't drink a lot because going to the bathroom will be difficult. I have no clue what it will be like there after Katrina. I don't know if the parades will be as fantastic or not. Have an oyster poor boy for me. I suppose it will be really outlandish, it was years ago when I lived there. Since you have been there before, I think you pretty much know what to expect for the most part. Have you ever gone way over to the west bank and the down to LaFeate to the docks for fresh crab and shrimp? They have (or use to have) smaller parades on the west bank too. Have fun........

VeraBlue said:
There are 7 that I am aware of during the days we are visiting, and probably more than that! When Lou and I were there for St. Patrick's day, I had so many throws around my neck that it was difficult to stand up straight! Who needs a kid? Just wink and smile pretty:winkiss:

Dear VeraBlue,

We must have caught the give it to the cute kid parade-----we had college kids begging us to RENT our 3 year old dragon costumed daughter to them (family parade on the West Bank) because she was taking in so much loot.:LOL:---we should have had you with us instead----my husband's neck was killing him after 3 hours of having her sit on his shoulders!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great time and give them your cutest smile!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

expatgirl said:
Dear VeraBlue,

We must have caught the give it to the cute kid parade-----we had college kids begging us to RENT our 3 year old dragon costumed daughter to them (family parade on the West Bank) because she was taking in so much loot.:LOL:---we should have had you with us instead----my husband's neck was killing him after 3 hours of having her sit on his shoulders!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great time and give them your cutest smile!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maybe I'll just open wide and show them my fangs:ohmy:! Who doesn't love a vampyre in the French Quarter??

Back
Top Bottom