Substitute butter/margarine with Olive Oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skygrrl

Assistant Cook
This may be a silly question but can you substitute butter/margarine with Olive Oil when baking? I just want to make Chocolate Chip Cookies and I only have one stick of butter and I need 2 sticks. I'm almost 8 months pregnant so I really don't want to drive to the store just to get butter because it's a bit snowy outside. So if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it! Thank you so much! :)

Well, honestly I wouldn't use olive oil for sweets, its flavour is much more suited for savoury dishes, and I am not sure if it goes well with sweet recipe. The best substitute for butter in baking would be lard, but if you don't have this either, the best bet would be just make half batch, by reducing all the ingredients to 50%.

ok, I'll end up cutting the recipe in half. I just wanted to make enough for me AND my husband since he loves sweets and I could probably eat all the cookies in one sitting now. Thank you!! :):)

You're welcome, sky, maybe next time you go shopping, it is a good idea to buy some extra butter and put it in a freezer for some emergencies, we do along with some other essential items..

Enjoy your cookies!:)

I agree, OO is probably not the way to go. On the other hand my DH had olive oil icecream once and loved it.....i thought it was, er, novel!

Butter in the freezer is handy...I run out today too, lol!

I usually buy plenty of butter for this reason. Or if you happen to have some whipping cream or heavy whipping cream and don't mind a little arm work you can always make more butter. I did that last time I ran out and the store was closed.

I do use canola oil in my cookie baking. I never use butter or margarine.
Great success.

Back
Top Bottom