Bread Knife advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonnie

Assistant Cook
What a wonderful site! I look forward to many helpful discussions. Right now I need advice about buying a decent bread knife that doesn't cost as much as my monthly energy bill. How about some recommendations? Many thanks, Nonnie

Welcome to DC, nonnie.

You don't have to spend a lot for a good bread knife. I would go for one with a 10" blade and scalloped edge. Check out some knives at a kitchen store and pick one that has good balance and feels good in you hand.

Here are some knives to check out. I have the Chicago Cutlery Walnut traditions 10" bread knife and it does a great job.

A good bread knife is something you can find at a reasonable price. I too like the 10 inch version with the scalloped edge. I have used the cheaper plastic handled and more expensive ones and for the most part all work well. Save your money and spend it where it counts like on a a good chef or boning knife.

JDP

One option you might want to consider, but by no means is it a necessity, is an off set bread knife. The handle is higher than the blade so your knuckles to not hit the board as you cut.

I got one at Target about 10 years ago - a 10-inch scalloped edge breadknife from ChefMate. Cost me about $15 if I remember right. I've been slicing 2 loaves of bread every week and it's still just as sharp as when I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom