ISO Coney dog Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
I have, as im sure have others, tried coney/chilli dog recipes before without luck. Just nothing has turned out spectacular or they tasted more like sloppy joe than coney dogs. I have never ate at coney island and its been such a long time since i have ate at a&w i don't remember what their coney dogs taste like. Anyways, i decided to do some research on google last night and see if i could find a recipe that looked good to me. I searched high and low (3 hours) for recipes. I copied the ones i liked to word and then one would be the winner for me to try tonight.

Well i found a recipe that looked pretty good. It was like no other that i found. I also was going to "lighten" any recipe i found. I am hoping to run chicago marathon this year and i have to stay in shape. Anyways i made it tonight and it was the best recipe i have yet to make for chilli dogs. Maybe i will find something better later but so far this is by far this best...the other recipes i would never make again this i will most definitly make again. I used turkey dogs (wish i could have used natural skin hot dogs). I also grilled the hot dog buns (wish i would hve steamed them). I also used a trick that i seen on "tylers ultimate". I warmed the hot dogs through in water and then i grilled them on a grill pan at the last minute to char the skins. I think this is how i will make hot dogs from here on out. Anways without further adu here is the recipe i used:

[FONT=&quot]Charlie Haskins Coney Sauce No. 7[/FONT]http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17432&#260741[FONT=&quot]
by Patrick W. Crabtree

[/FONT]

Substituions i made:
1) Ground Sirlion
2) Roasted Anaheim Chile instead of a bell pepper (thought about a cubanelle but they didn't have them)
3) Brown Sugar instead of sugar (i thought i had sugar and i ran out).
4) I didn't have time for the 3 hour cook time. I only cooked it 45min to an hour

Anyways enjoy.

Ncage

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks good--and looks a lot like a recipe for the famous and very different Cincinnati chili. I am sure it would be good on a dog also. But serve it over spagetti with onions, cheese, beans for a "five way Cincinnati chili".
I think coney island sauce might have one thing in common with Cincy chili--the boiling the meat in water. It makes for a much finer meat sauce which is what I associate with it. I also think it is much simpler--just meat,tomato sauce,onion, garlic,chili powder, etc.

You piqued my interest and I googled and found this one that boils the meat in tomato juice. I think I'll give that a try but I'll have to add some tomato paste also. Haven't thought about coney sauce for a long time.
Coney Island Sauce

If you google, there is also a recipe for A&W sauce.

Last edited:
Candocook said:
This looks good--and looks a lot like a recipe for the famous and very different Cincinnati chili. I am sure it would be good on a dog also. But serve it over spagetti with onions, cheese, beans for a "five way Cincinnati chili".
I think coney island sauce might have one thing in common with Cincy chili--the boiling the meat in water. It makes for a much finer meat sauce which is what I associate with it. I also think it is much simpler--just meat,tomato sauce,onion, garlic,chili powder, etc.

You piqued my interest and I googled and found this one that boils the meat in tomato juice. I think I'll give that a try but I'll have to add some tomato paste also. Haven't thought about coney sauce for a long time.
Coney Island Sauce

If you google, there is also a recipe for A&W sauce.

Yes i make an awesome Cincinnati chilli too. This called for a little less of the Cincinnati style spices that i use like cinamin and all spice. My Cininnati chilli would also probably make a good sauce with modification. The only thing i can say for this recipe is that the chipotle really didn't add that much of a smoke flavor. Maybe adding liquid smoke would be a good idea if you want it smokier or maybe more roasted ahaheim chillis.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom