Cougar Sashimi?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you live in White Salmon, Washington - stick to Salmon! :chef: I'm really surprised he ate it raw - maybe in a life and death situation I could understand.

Why are they killing animals like that when there is more than enough beef, poultry and pork around? Makes no sense to me but it is very sad that thta happened to him. He could have been worse off than he was.

Mrs. Cuillo said:
Why are they killing animals like that when there is more than enough beef, poultry and pork around?
Why is it right to eat beef, poultry, and pork, but not cougar?

This guy is quite lucky. That cat could have ended up getting trichinosis from him :ohmy:

GB said:
This guy is quite lucky. That cat could have ended up getting trichinosis from him :ohmy:

If he hadn't been there, the situation wouldn't have arisen. Just as well he was lucky because otherwise he'd have looked a fool, and posthumously at that.

GB said:
Why is it right to eat beef, poultry, and pork, but not cougar?

Because beef, poultry and pork are all, for lack of a better way to describe it, mass produced/raised almost solely for that purpose. Cougars are not meant for eating as beef, poultry and pork are. Even most farmers keep these types of animals only to butcher and sell them for a profit.

Sorry it took so long to reply, been busy with work!!

Bear, deer, elk, caribou, kangaroo, alligator(sometimes), boar, duck, squab, quail, and a lot of other things are not breed specifically for human consumption, but it has never bothered me. Think of things just 100 years ago, anything goes when it comes to hunger, and survival.

Given the chance, I would try almost anything, but as for cougar, I won't do it raw.:)

Mrs. Cuillo said:
Because beef, poultry and pork are all, for lack of a better way to describe it, mass produced/raised almost solely for that purpose. Cougars are not meant for eating as beef, poultry and pork are. Even most farmers keep these types of animals only to butcher and sell them for a profit.

Sorry it took so long to reply, been busy with work!!
This is only true in the US. Try telling someone in India that Cows are raised solely for the purpose of food. I think you would find a VERY different point of view.

GB said:
This is only true in the US. Try telling someone in India that Cows are raised solely for the purpose of food. I think you would find a VERY different point of view.

Well, were talking about the US!!;) I agree that in a life and death situation, I would eat almost anything, as was the case 100 years ago, but were talking about 2007. I just see no reason to eat a cougar, alligator, hedgehog, snake, etc when there are so many other types of meat out there that are easier to obtain. But again, this is all just my opinion. :)

I don't agree with eating carnivores.
And I don't agree with killing animals for sport.

I am ok with hunting animals if you are going to use the whole thing. (My friend's mom made us stuffed elk heart once - I'm glad that they use the whole animal but I really didn't like the gamey organ taste). Killing an animal just to put part of it on the wall or just to say that you killed an animal seems morally wrong to me.

Back
Top Bottom