ISO Recipes that use garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYBrit

Senior Cook
In the spirit of 2 other threads I created on another board I just have to ask this. What are your favourite recipes for cooking with garlic? Now I bought some I need some ideas on what to do with it! Thanks!

Last edited:
It would be easier and less time consuming to tell you what I DON'T put garlic in....seriously!!

But just to mention a few things....others will give you ideas too!

Soups..Stews..Gumbos and all of the sub-topics under those three subjects.

Really...just get your recipe books...find something you like that has garlic and go for it!

A recipe....Peel and slice a couple of toes..."Warm" some EVOO...add the garlic for several minutes or more...add some salt..fresh ground pepper...and dip(french) bread in it....The key word being "warm".. not hot!

Enjoy

One of our favorites here is to smear a whole bunch of roasted garlic under the skin of a whole chicken, then roast the chicken. Of course, we've done the same thing with skin-on pieces of chicken.

Roasted garlic has a wonderful sweet character and I've even been known to eat a whole clove of roasted garlic just for the great taste.:rolleyes:

I also like to spread roasted garlic on thinly sliced baguette as an appetizer.

I thought garlic was one of the food groups.

I have a great recipe for beef short ribs with 40, yes 40, cloves of garlic. Tasty.

I could go on and on.

And as Uncle Bob said, it would be easier to tell you what we DON'T put garlic on/in.

I love Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I recently did a Brisket with 40 cloves of garlic. I'm going to try Toast with 40 cloves of galic. Just joking!:LOL: I too love garlic, grow my own, and it makes it's way into most dishes.

Katie...

What must I do to persuade you to share your recipe of Short ribs with 40 cloves of ga-lic with me?? Will you make me drive to Kaintuck?

Garlic is used as a seasoning in mainly savory dishes - basically anything other than confections or deserts like cakes, pies, candies, puddings, Jello, etc. when you want the flavor. Like Uncle Bob said - it's easier to list what not to put garlic in.

Garlic can be used in rubs for smoking meats, in soups, stews, braises, in roasting, casseroles, sauces, BBQ sauce, with vegetables, in some breads (onion and garlic bagels are one of my favorites), used in marinades, oil infusions, vinaigrettes, slivers can be stuffed into pork roasts or a leg of lamb, a paste can be used on or under the skin of chicken or turkey, in meatloaf, meatballs, sausages, chili, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, potato salad, pasta, to make garlic bread ... and the list just goes on and on and on like the Energizer Bunny.

Last edited:
Oh man NYBrit. You can use the garlic in just about anything you desire.
I use it on chicken, pork, spaghetti sauce, stews, roasts etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything you CAN'T use garlic with? I couldn't cook for a week without it.

Easy one I use a lot..

Lightly saute a couple of minced cloves in 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Remove the garlic, pan fry a couple of light fish fillets in the flavored oil (I like Tilapia for this but pick your fav. Tilapia cooks in about 2 minutes without having to turn it.). Spoon the sauted garlic over the cooked filets and serve with lemon.

or...

Saute minced garlic in olive oil for about a minute on med heat. Add sliced mushrooms, cook to about 2-3 minutes tossing regularly. Deglaze with white wine, and reduce for a few minutes. I don't have any exact quantities or times for this... I just do it by feel.:chef:

Spaghetti Aglio e Olio

Heat some olive oil, mixed with an equal amount of butter. (HEAT - do not boil). Add about 20 cloves of garlic- cut into two or three pieces, depending on the size, and allow them to sizzle, gently, for about 20 minutes, or until they begin to turn a pale golden colour.
Serve on spaghetti with lashings of parmesan.

You can simply put the fresh garlic in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes in tin foil. Take it out of the oven and spread it on toasted bread. Voila, great garlic bread.

philly29 said:
You can simply put the fresh garlic in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes in tin foil. Take it out of the oven and spread it on toasted bread. Voila, great garlic bread.

Now that is something I am going to try!! :chef:

My favorite garlic dish is gambas al ajillo -- Shrimps sauteed in lots of olive oil and garlic. I add a little Spanish paprika, salt, sliced chilies. It's a great tapas item best eaten with warm garlic bread dipped into the olive oil. It's always a hit at the table and I find that I can never prepare too much of this!

Spanish Garlic soup:

1 onion
1 stalk of celery
1 leek
1 or 2 heads of garlic peeled – to your taste
thyme
Bayleaf
a couple of chunks of old crusty bread toasted with olive oil
1 large ripe – over ripe - tomato, or a small can
Chicken stock or water
1 egg.
S&P

This soup is so simple and so delicious.
Coarse chop the onion, celery, leeks, and garlic, sweat them until they get soft.
Add tomato, and stock, thyme and bay leaf if you want, cook until everything is very soft.
Add bread. Let the bread get soft, puree the soup (don’t forget to remove the bayleaf)
Whip the egg in a separate bowl, add it very slowly to the hot soup while stirring, you get little tiny threads.
Adjust the consistency and season.
I garnish it with a little lemon zest, and whatever fresh herb I have around.

The garlic and egg combine to make this a very rich and satisfying rustic soup. I didn’t give exact quantities because it is a rustic soup. You can just eyeball it.

Bagna Cauda is one my favorite garlicy things, and it couldn't be simpler.

1 cup olive oil
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
16 anchovy fillets
8 large garlic cloves, chopped
Assorted lightly steamed vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces
crusty Italian or French bread

An electric skillet is perfect for this, but you can also use a regular skillet and pour the finished dip into a fondue pot.
Heat the olive oil to med/high, add butter and melt, then add garlic and anchovies. Cook, stirring frequently, until anchovies dissolve.

Serve with steamed vegies and bread.

Guaranteed to keep Vampires away!

camarones al ajillo (shrimp in garlic oil), linguini with white clam sauce, and a fresh garlic and basil sugo are the first three that pop into my head.

lemme know if anyone wants actual recipes. i'm sure i can come up with something.

Gosh - I put garlic in virtually EVERYTHING - lol!!!

I guess one of my faves is to toss handfulls of peeled cloves in with cut up root vegetables for roasting. They come out so wonderful - even when charred.

My 2nd favorite would have to be good old Garlic Soup, which I make frequently during the winter. A handfull of peeled cloves sauteed in extra-virgin olive oil, a piece of bread (any kind), an egg, & some chicken broth & I'm in lunch heaven - lol!!

Last edited:
Garlic Butter is great too (I used to give it out as Christmas presents).

a pound of salted butter at room temp
5 cloves of garlic
a medium onion
a T spoon of mustard powder
a cup of grated extra mature cheese
a T spoon of dried parsley

in a food proc blitz all the ingredients except the butter, then when small add the butter and blitz again, the butter will go from yellow to a light cream color.
push the mix into a ceramic ramakin avoiding any air pockets, put a tiny sprinkle of Paprica on the top, put in a plastic bag and then right into the fridge.

it will keep a Good 6 months in the fridge without a problem (I still don`t understand Why either), but I promise it will be eaten Long before 6 months is up :)

Hm, where do I not use the carlic? Desert. That's about it. No, seriously as it's said above you can add garlic to any recipe if you like it. It's your food you do whatever you like with it.

Back
Top Bottom