Tuna fish sandwich without mayo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton

Cook
I have a problem with consuming products with eggs as one of its ingredients, which means no mayo. What could I substitute for mayo or, rather, how could I avoid having to eat a dry tuna melt/sandwich?

Have no fear, by any means mayonnaise is NOT a indispensable ingredient in a tuna sandwich! Mix the tuna with chopped capers, olives, onion and a drizzle of evoo. (I suggest using the water packed tuna, drain, then adding your own evoo, it will taste better, as the oils that they use for packaging is not of the highest quality.)
It is much healthier, and very tasty!!

I make an empanada filling using water packed tuna, diced tomatoes, diced jalapenos, green onion, cilantro along with chili powder, garlic and some lime juice. Cook the veggies and seasonings add the tuna. You could add evo if you would like. This would go well on a sandwich.

JDP

I think most mustards do not contain eggs...there are some that are mild flavored.
Hellmann's Dijonnaise I think only has egg whites...

Something to think about.

What about miracle whip idk if that has egg in it.

If not mix the tuna with italians dressing and capers its good

Mmm, urmaniacs idea sounds good....I would do something similar but make it more nicoise inspired with green beans and (dropping the eggs from nicoise) all other good salady things...

You might also want to check out bottled/jarred salad dressings to see if the ingredient list has eggs or mayo. I would think that those would work too if the flavor is pleasing to you.

I really like a fruit salsa on my tuna sandwiches. One of my favorites is cranberry and another is pineapple. Then of course there is the spiced apple. Yum to all!

The tuna vacuum packs offer an entire variety of tuna flavors and combinations. The old water/oil pack is history!

Here are the ingredients in Miracle Whip:
Water, soybean oil, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, modified food starch, eggs, salt, mustard flour, artificial color, potassium sorbate as a preservative, paprika, spice, natural flavor, dried garlic.

How about adding some sour cream and a bit of lemon juice? That would be tasty. Plain yogurt might work, too.

And, yep, even my house brand of salad dressing (read that Miracle Whip) includes egg yolks in the list of ingredients.

Easton said:
I have a problem with consuming products with eggs as one of its ingredients, which means no mayo. What could I substitute for mayo or, rather, how could I avoid having to eat a dry tuna melt/sandwich?

Welcome to DC, Easton. One suggestion is adding a bit of Ranch or Blue cheese dressing in place of mayo (but check the ingredients on the label). I am a tuna purist, and buy the tuna in water and add very little to 'the mix.' Since it's a tuna melt, doubt you would miss the mayo. The cheese will make the tuna sammich creamy & add flavor.

My fave tuna sammich is - a whole can of solid white tuna in water (drained), basil leaves, sliced roma tomatoes, chopped onions, s&p, slices of provalone or fresh grated Parm or mozzarella cheese, on french/italian bread loaf - sprinkle with a little red wine vinegar or evoo -- my version of a tuna caprese sandwich. If you want it melty, just pop under thr broiler or in the oven for a few.

Last edited:
Kraft Products do tend to have a unique flavor present in most of their products. Ever eat a Kraft cheese sandwich with Miracle Whip dressing? They almost taste identical when put together.

I can't eat mayo either. I love urmaniac13's suggestion. That is one way I love to do it.

Another way I like it is with just a splash of lemon juice. When I was young I used to take a large piece of lettuce and put on some tuna, a little salt and pepper, and a little lemon juice. I would roll it up and eat just like that.

You mentioned "tuna melt" in your post. If this is what you are trying to make then definitely try the evoo route. The cheese should help it not be dry also.

JDP and urmaniac have some great ideas - I have copied and saved both of those! LOVE the cilantro! JDP - it sounds like you could add a bit of panko, an egg white, and make a tuna versus salmon patty.

the sandwich shops around my place of work sell three kinds of tuna salad: regular, with mayo and diced celery; italian, with olive oil, diced sweet peppers and olives; and mexican, with oil (i'm not sure of the kind),and diced jalapenos and onions.

As ChefJune and Katie E have mentioned, you can use yoghurt. At the same time, you can add chopped onion, celery, salt and pepper to your tuna.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom