Freezing Crab Bisque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill Rambo

Assistant Cook
Hello! This is my first time using this site. I have just made a large batch of crab bisque for a superbowl party and now find I have made too much. Can crab bisque be frozen and still retain its fresh taste? Thanks for any help!

Jill:chef:

Have you already added the cream? The problem with freezing cream soups is that they nearly always curdle when defrosted & reheated. They'll still be fine to eat, but the texture won't be the same.

Normally, if you want to freeze a cream soup, you would make it up to the point where you'd add the cream & freeze that part, then continue with the cream portion of the recipe after you defrosted it.

Hello! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, I have already added the cream, the bisque is completely made. Another question: How long can the soup stay fresh in the refrigerator? Can I just refrigerate the extra and eat it over the course of a week or two? Thanks!
Jill:chef:

Since it's seafood-based, I wouldn't push your luck. It will probably be safe/good to eat for about 3 days or so. I think it would be worth a try to freeze it.

When you are ready to thaw it out, it might be good to have a backup plan in case the consistency is less than perfect. Perhaps use it in a seafood casserole or convert it to a crab-flavored white sauce.

Thanks! Using it in a casserole or as a sauce is a good idea. I had not thought of doing that. I may add some tomato sauce and make it a Rosa-Crab sauce over pasta.

Agree with Breezy, as usual. Cream is an emulsion and freezing tends to break those suckers.

Have recently kept a bisque (a lobster one) for a week in the fridge without any ill effects.

Cannot tell anyone to leave the stuff that long. Just our experience.

The only thing I dislike about this site is that there are too many wonderful ideas and only so many meals we can eat.

Crab bisque right now sounds wonderful. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom