Uses for Black Truffle Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrazenAmateur

Senior Cook
I went and dropped $35 on a big bottle of D'Artangan Black Truffle Oil a couple weeks ago and I can't seem to find very many worthy uses for it.

The only use that really WORKED was when I tossed french fries in the oil and some black pepper. I served it in a big cone of rolled-up paper and it was informal, delicious, and extremely simple.

Problem is, I don't want to use it all on French Fries, and I'm having trouble finding other good uses for the stuff.

I tried deep-frying pork tortellini and then tossing them in the truffle oil and some fresh-cut cilantro. The tortellini just didn't "mesh" with the oil however, it didn't have enough character on it's own to produce a dish that tasted like anything other than truffle-soaked cardboard.

So what can I do with it that doesn't involve mushrooms or a risotto (i.e. the usual suspects)? Anyone have any successes or failures in this department?

I searched on this and someone mentioned baked potato, and that sounded good.

Use it with roasted chicken /duck/ turkey breast.
Make some wild mushroom polenta and drizzle some over the top.
Make an exquisite roast beef carpaccio - or something of that nature.
HAS to be good with game...

BrazenAmatuer said:
I went and dropped $35 on a big bottle of D'Artangan Black Truffle Oil a couple weeks ago and I can't seem to find very many worthy uses for it.

The only use that really WORKED was when I tossed french fries in the oil and some black pepper. I served it in a big cone of rolled-up paper and it was informal, delicious, and extremely simple.

Problem is, I don't want to use it all on French Fries, and I'm having trouble finding other good uses for the stuff.

I tried deep-frying pork tortellini and then tossing them in the truffle oil and some fresh-cut cilantro. The tortellini just didn't "mesh" with the oil however, it didn't have enough character on it's own to produce a dish that tasted like anything other than truffle-soaked cardboard.

So what can I do with it that doesn't involve mushrooms or a risotto (i.e. the usual suspects)? Anyone have any successes or failures in this department?

I searched on this and someone mentioned baked potato, and that sounded good.

Drizzle over a wild mushroom pizza with presuto (or however you spell it) rigth after it comes out of the oven, drizzle over fresh pasta with a garlic cream sauce. Ya i don't know how it would go with fried food like your doing.

cliveb said:
Make an exquisite roast beef carpaccio - or something of that nature.

That sounds like a really good idea.

I think I'm going to try it with some tenderloin and maybe add some mushroom duxelles, then drizzle on some BTO. It'd be like a Beef Wellington without the carbs, lol.

I make a venison goulash that would be fantastic if it really had that truffle taste infused in it, but I think that it might just get lost in there and be a waste.

Back
Top Bottom