old buttermilk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linnkell

Assistant Cook
I have a pint of buttermilk (commercial) in the fridge that was opened on 12/23 and was marked sell by jan 20. As I started to pour it down the drain, I saw it had thickened to a consistancy of thin yogurt and ahd a mild aroma, not sour like I expected. Can I use this like yogurt or sour cream, or should I throw it away?

Personally I would taste it and experiment with it if it seems OK.

But that is just me and many may tell you the safest thing to do is to toss it.

I have used buttermilk past the expiration date and it was fine. I shake mine up every time I use it anyway as it may not be the same consistency after sitting for a while. Probably no further past the date than yours is, it would be fine. It probably has much to do with how well you've kept it at optimum temperature.

The "Sell By" date indicates the last day the store can sell it - not how long it will be good. The general rule of thumb is that milk, properly stored, will be freshed if used within 5-7 days after opening - although it may still be perfectly fine for 2 weeks.

Buttermilk, because of it's high acid content, will tend to thicken faster than it spoils. It's just thick, and not big clots of whey swimming in water, it would prossibly be ok.

Last edited:
I'm with Michael. I've had buttermilk for over 2 weeks that was perfectly fine. I keep mine in the coldest part of the refrigerator and always shake it vigorously before using. Yours is probably just fine. I've also frozen it in 1-cup portions. No problem with it when it thawed out

Haven't tried it so I have no experience with it, but there is also powdered buttermilk available in the baking aisle of most markets. This might be an alternative to storing fresh buttermilk and worrying about spoiling.

Back
Top Bottom