Ethnic salad question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
So if you'd name one salad that most common in a country. Like, imo, some type of lettuce salad is very common in USA. In Russia/Ukraine I'd say it is tomato/cucumber salad of a sort.

Now the question: what about Italy and China? What is in your opinion salad that most represent those 2 countries?

I'd post the pole, but have no idea what to post as choices.

Last edited:
While I'm definitely no expert, I'd think that tomato salads are probably very popular in Italy. Sliced tomatoes with fresh buffalo mozzarella, all the tomato-based variations of the "bread" salads, etc., etc.

As far as China - raw vegetables have never been indigent there because of the methods used for fertilization, which makes consuming raw vegetables a dicey affair. This is why you will rarely - if ever - be offered any type of salad in an authentic Chinese restaurant.

In Italy we eat varieties of salads, usually simply with evoo and s&p, sometimes with balsamic vinegar. We prefer simple dressing like this in order to taste and enjoy the fresh vegetables.

However, if I were to name one salad that represents Italy, it would certainly be "Insalata Caprese", with hearty slices of tomato, fresh mozzarella (ideally of buffalo milk, called "bufala"), and fresh basil leaves, it has the right colour too, red, white and green!!:-p

CharlieD said:
So if you'd name one salad that most common in a country. Like, imo, some type of lettuce salad is very common in USA. In Russia/Ukraine I'd say it is tomato/cucumber salad of a sort.

Now the question: what about Italy and China? What is in your opinion salad that most represent those 2 countries?

I'd post the pole, but have no idea what to post as choices.[/quote

I had a veggie platter today with cucumbers, tomatoes, celery, and marinated artichoke hearts. No idea what to call it though, just my own rendition of foods I like.

As far as Italy, most likely this would be an antipasta salad, which involves meat, cheese, and various veggies. No idea what China likes in terms of salad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom