Help with sticky buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelique

Assistant Cook
I made sticky buns with yeast which was my first time made the dough and cover the bowel and it didn't double in volume I waited for 2 hours and it looked the same . I need help with makeing skicky buns Thank you.​

I am wondering if your yeast was too old (and therefore didnt rise up).

Try this - proof the yeast to see if it is still active. Here is how to check it - add 1/4 cup warm water to a measuring cup, add yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons) and a teaspoon of sugar. Wait 5 minutes, the yeast should bubble up of it is still active and alive. If the yeast still looks like little grains of sand, your yeast is no good and you need to buy new yeast.

Alternatively, if your room was cold, the dough might not have risen. I cover my dough bowl with plastic wrap, then I put a kitchen towel over it and I put in in warm place (like near the oven or ontop of my dryer).

I would check your yeast and then try again, your dough should rise after 2 hours.

As mentioned by Toots, perhaps your yeast was too old or the water was too hot which killed the bacteria. When preparing the yeast mixture, the water has to be lukewarm, meaning that you can put your finger in it. Wait for it to froth before adding to the bun mixture. Wrapping a thick blanket over the dough bowl and putting it in a warm place (fireplace etc) helps the dough rise faster.

as everyine said above:

first - make sure your yeast is ok. yeast can actually last for years, especially if stored frozen, but it won't last indefinitely. try some in a half cup or so of warm water. let is soak for a few minutes, then give it some food, such as a good 3 or 4 finger pinch of flour or a pinch of sugar. leave it in a warm place for 30 - 60 minutes and see what develops (or fails to). if it gets bubbly, it's ok. if not, get some new yeast.

if your kitchen is cold, it can take all day to rise to double volume. of course it can take a lot of fuel oil to heat your house to tropical temps. try preheating your oven for about 5 minutes or so and then turn it off and let it cool until it's a bit over body temp. in the mean time, bring a pan of water to the boil, and when the oven is warm but not hot, you can place both your dough and the hot water (with a lid) into the oven. it should be satisfactorily warm for at least an hour or so, and you can always bring the water to a boil again to warm it back up. just be careful that the dough isn't too close to the boiling water, so it doesn't get cooked.

of course, if your kitchen isn't too cold, someplace up high might be warm enough. refrigerators generate a little heat, so up on top may be a better place than next to a cold window.

too much sugar can also inhibit yeast just as much as too much salt. if your recipe seems to call for a lot of sugar, try scaling it back a bit. sugar add not only sweetness, but moisture too. so if you do cut back the sugar a lot, you might want to add a tablespoon or two of shortening or an egg yolk.

good luck next time around.
icon12.gif

my sponge for sweet rolls rises nicely; the second rising is also complete, but when I put the cut dough into the oven for the final rising, it dies. I'm very careful to put a warm NOT HOT tea towel on the counter to roll the dough on, to run the rolling pin under hot water and dry it carefully until it is just room temp, and to warm the pan before putting the rolls into it. They still don't rise that last tiem. What am I doing wrong?

Another tip for a warm place is to use one of those neck wraps you heat in the microwave. Warm it according to directions in microwave then nestle around your bowl.

catsmother said:
my sponge for sweet rolls rises nicely; the second rising is also complete, but when I put the cut dough into the oven for the final rising, it dies. I'm very careful to put a warm NOT HOT tea towel on the counter to roll the dough on, to run the rolling pin under hot water and dry it carefully until it is just room temp, and to warm the pan before putting the rolls into it. They still don't rise that last tiem. What am I doing wrong?

hi,
- first, i think you're going overboard on your "precautions". there's no need do all that stuff.

- second, frankly, there's no need for a third rise. when my dough's risen once, i roll out the dough directly on a floured countertop, brush with melted butter, sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and sometimes cardamon, pecans, etc. roll it up, slice 2 or so inches, put them in a buttered baking pan, let them rise till more than doubled, and then bake.
icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom