Cooking TechnoSpeak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I do not know what is happening when I hear of "mounting" a sauce.

"Breaking" a sauce means that something wasn't combined properly (fat? flour? liquid?) and you end up with a curdled mess, correct? Or is it that your temp is too high/low for it to come together properly?

Some pro out there please help expand my vocabulary.

Hey Mud....

The term is actually "mounding". What it is; it is finishing a sauce with cold butter and whisking it in. What it does; 1..adds richness and flavor and 2..makes the sauce nice and glossy. Use this for clear sauces ie; not cream sauces.

"Breaking" can also come from the sauce boiling to long, generally this happens in cream sauces.

No - really, I'm not. Can't make decent pie crust, fried chicken, or gravy. Am trying to improve at all three. Also don't can any fruits or veggies, have no fancy knife skills, know the best brands of anything, etc.

For the record, I am so impressed with the efforts and abilities of many participants on this board, and the detail they are willing to go into to share their knowledge, experience, and expertise w/the rest of us. A solemn and humble bow to you all!

Hi mudbug, I've never made a decent pie crust myself. The people around me are very kind about it though :)

If I can just share with you some tips. I usually avoid breaking up a sauce by combining the oil last and slowly whisking it in by the drop. For example in the case of a vinaigrette, I combine well all the acids, honey, mustard, herbs, salt and pepper first. Then I whisk in the olive oil a drop at a time for the first few minutes. As I see a good emulsion forming, I can start to drizzle in the rest of the oil while still whisking. If this dressing is not used immediately, it may separate again. Just whisk it again. I find that the emulsion is more stable this way.

This combining the oil by-the-drop technique is even more essential in making say, mayonnaise, bearnaise, and similar sauces, by hand, where avoiding breaking the sauce becomes crucial.

Hope this helps you! :)

Hi, PT:

I've never heard of it's being called mounding. Epicurious Food Dictionary referes to it as mounting, too.

However, your definitions are right on!

Andy M.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom