Quitting smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
A friend of mine told me about the generic version of the patch to quit smoking , so I'll buy the patch this weekend and then quit on Monday. I think I can do this :) with your help that is!

I am so happy to hear you are quitting smoking. :clap:
I am happy when anybody does something good for themselves and their loved ones.
Stay strong and think of all the benefits of quitting.

Why should I quit?Health benefits of quitting

All kinds of smokers – men and women, young or old – can get health benefits from quitting. The minute you stop smoking, your body begins to clean itself of tobacco poisons. Here’s how:
  • Within 8 hours, carbon monoxide levels drop in your body and oxygen levels in your blood increases.
  • After 2 days, your sense of smell and taste begin to improve.
  • Within 2 weeks to 3 months, your lungs work better making it easier to breathe.
  • After 6 months, coughing, sinus congestion, tiredness and shortness of breath improve.
  • After 1 year, your risk of a smoking-related heart attack is reduced by half.
The younger you are when you quit the greater the health benefits.
Quit and reduce the risk of cancer

Quit now and reduce the risk of developing cancer. In general, the longer you don't smoke the more you lower your risk.
  • Within 10 years of quitting, the overall risk of an ex-smoker dying from lung cancer is cut in half.
  • After 10 years, the overall risk of an ex-smoker developing cancer approaches that of a non-smoker.
Go here and click on the calculator at the bottom to see how much money you can save by quitting:Quit smoking

Amber, as a former smoker, I can't think of any other way to do it except cold turkey. What really made me want to quit was that I was embarrassed to be seen with a cigarette in my hand, in my car, anywhere..... I guess when I got to the point and that the only place I felt comfortable smoking was at my house, I had got half the battle won. I was down to smoking 4 or 5 cigs a day, so why not go all the way????

Anyhow, I know HOW HARD it is, I'm praying for ya girlie, and when you need to vent..... feel free to send me a PM!!!

OH!!! When the craving comes.... remember this... the craving only last for 2 to 5 minutes... if you can pre occupy yourself with something else for a few minutes, the craving will pass and you will forget that you wanted one... at least for a period of time. It gets easier over time!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!! AMBER! AMBER! AMBER!!! The crowd chants!!!

Amber, being a non-smoker and having a low tolerance to cigarette smell, I applaud your move. Bravo!!:clap:

Amber,
You can do it. I know you can do it. I did it. When I wasn't ready it was the hardest thing in the world. When I was ready it was the easiest thing in the world. After you've done it you will love yourself! Be strong. It's worth it! You'll know you're cured when you see someone smoking and feel sorry for them.
Love, Buck

amber said:
A friend of mine told me about the generic version of the patch to quit smoking , so I'll buy the patch this weekend and then quit on Monday. I think I can do this :) with your help that is!

I went back and read 3,273 of your post and I just never connected you to the personality of someone who smokes. Maybe it's that cute little puppy dog that I think is someone like you. You can always read 3,273 of your post before you- you know what-. :smartass: I am sure you will succeed.

stirblue, you read three thouand plus posts from amber?

i think i would take up smoking if i tried that with anyone...

buckytom said:
stirblue, you read three thouand plus posts from amber?

i think i would take up smoking if i tried that with anyone...

Somebody told me that they had taken the tour of the Virtual B&B so I read all 9,3 & some odd post. They just stopped in once for a sweet roll and coffee when it was the Virtual Cafe.

I have read everybody's. :wacko:

Go for it! I stopped in '92 using a $10 tape from Barnes&Noble and never looked back. Listened to it for five weeks, thinking about how much money I'd save and it worked. With the price of cigarettes these days, you could probably buy your own personal jet! Think positive, you can do it!

Despite some thinking that smokers display a different personality than nonsmokers, I know there are smokers who are very sweet people who have puppies and kittens and aren't hardened criminals or ne'er-do-wells or anything like that. (Matter of fact, I probably was not this mean when I smoked! Just kidding - I probably was...:angel: :ROFLMAO: ) There are several topics having to do with smokers who have tried (and hopefully succeeded) on this board, and I've put my two cents in on their messages too. I've been there, and have quit (with the help of the patch too, and the Target generic one, by the way), so if I can be of any encouragement or help, please feel free to send me a message. The only way I was able to finally kick the habit was with a planned attack, which is what most organizations also say to do when trying to quit. I set a date, which I had to alter by a week when my mother was hospitalized suddenly (that stress was more than I could handle at the time), prepared the house and car, planned activities that would make me notice the progress, and that worked for me. Any time I tried without thinking it out thoroughly, I had failed.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you're coming along.

BC

Way to go Amber. You can do it! I am behind you 100%.

I had tried quiting a number of times before I was successful. When I quit I did it cold turkey. I had to tell myself (and truly believe it) that after my last cig I would never again have another butt no matter what. It did not matter if I was drinking or taking a long car trip or ultra stressed out or anything. Once I had that last one that was it forever. Once I accepted that then I was successful.

The cravings will not go away Amber (at least not for a long long long time), but they will weaken considerably. They will be very manageable with time.

You can do it and I know you will!

WAY TO GO!!! That is fantastic and so much heallthier for you. I smoked when I was 13 or 14 (off and on) up until I started my senior year in high school. My boyfriend( whom I am still with!!:wacko: :) ) also smoked and he started to get very bad headaches, close to migraines from the smoke. So he quit and I obviously had to quit because the smoke bothered him that much. I quit cold turkey and it was pretty hard, but VERY rewarding. For a year, everytime I craved a cigarette I put a quarter in a jar or if I was out I put it in a compartment in my purse to put in my jar later. One year to the day I had a little over $400. I started to put less and less in there about 5 or six months into it but that just goes to show how much money you are going to save. Most people put in a jar what they would spend on a pack of cigarettes which would be MUCH MUCH more.
Anyways, I am very proud of you and you will feel so much better about your health and you when it is all said and done. We are here to help you and for you to confide in on your stressful, hard to quit days. Best of luck to you!!! ;)

We're all behind you, Amber!
I am really proud that you are taking this step, and also telling us, so there's accountability. Way to go, girl!!!

stop smoking

Amber,Amber,Amber congrats go to you. I had smoked for 55 years. Yeah Yeah I know I am 69. After smoking 3 packs a day I finally decided it was time to quit. I did quit cold turkey. I was not going to let that stupid little white thing control my life and that is just what it did. Hopefully I am a bigger person than that little white thingy. I do not miss it at all. Sometimes I do get the cravings but I say to myself I have made it this far tobacco free and I will make it the rest of the way. However Amber I did gain 50 pounds but I am losing that now. Rather be overweight than die from lung cancer. Love ya The American Cancer Society could be a big help to you if you give them a chance.

Amber,
That's fantastic!
I can't wait to hear about all of the new kitchen toys that you're going to be able to buy with your excess cash:LOL:
I did it cold turkey a little over thirty years ago. It was pretty tough, but trying to cut down just didn't work for me.
Set your mind and go for it!
We're all behind you:)

Back
Top Bottom