Shortening Questions - Advice/Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I came across a baking recipe I would like to try. The recipe calls for shortening. Is there something else I could use in place of same for baking? How healthy(?) is shortening? Since, I've never cooked with Crisco or lard, I did some poking around on the web, and got lost in descriptions of trans-fats being lowered in Crisco etc - or sub 1/2 butter and 1/2 margarine. What do you use for shortening in a baking recipe? Any input/advice from the bakers out there is appreciated TIA.

Crisco is now trans-fat free. You can sub butter or probably margarine (not much healthier if it is regular margarine). What is the "baking" recipe? It sometimes makes more difference in cookies than cakes. Sometimes if you take the recipe as a whole and calculate its "healthiness" by the bite, it may not make a whole lot of difference.

Mish, what exactly are you baking? Could you post the recipe? And how concerned are you about what you are eating?

Shortening is vegetable fat so in that respect it is better for you than either butter or lard. But then you run into the hydrogenated issue and the trans fats issue.

I personally feel that if I am baking and eating something I have baked I'm not going to consume a ton of any of it.

My personal choice is usually to go with lard instead of shortening. I won't go into my weird reasoning there, just that I prefer to use animal rather than vegetable that has been altered to stay solid at room temp.

Here is the recipe I had in mind - JUMBO Coffee-Cake Muffins:

Jumbo Coffee-Cake Muffins

But, yikes, the fat is way up there.

I love coffee cake, and thought the muffins were a great idea - reminded me of the pre-packaged "Little Debbies" - but BIGGER. Also thought about adding chocolate chips to the mix - but ouch - may be too high in fat for me (sour cream & all).

mish, that's not all that much shortening. 1/4 cup is half a stick of butter - spread out amongst 6 huge muffins (you could eat them one-half at a time). Use fat-free sour cream. Or use applesauce.

If it's a cake, you can use any type of oil instead of shortening, including olive but not motor, on a one-to-one basis. I've made lots of cakes with olive oil as the shortening, and they came out great.

If your making cookies, you can use butter instead of shortening , again on a one-to-one basis. The cookies will come out crispier, and they will bake a bit faster, so keep a close eye on them.

Mish, yes you can replace the shortening with any vegetable oil and to reduce the fat content, use low fat milk, sour cream or yoghurt. But do increase the baking soda to 1/2 tsp for better rising.

Muffins are very forgiving Mish. Go olive oil or applesauce, that will be great. Let us know how they turn out.

Caine said:
If it's a cake, you can use any type of oil instead of shortening, including olive but not motor, on a one-to-one basis. I've made lots of cakes with olive oil as the shortening, and they came out great.

If your making cookies, you can use butter instead of shortening , again on a one-to-one basis. The cookies will come out crispier, and they will bake a bit faster, so keep a close eye on them.

Caine, lol. :LOL: I'm leaning toward the olive oil. All good advice. Thank you.

Last edited:
The reason for the shortening is for the texture - shortening contains millions of tiny air bubbles that expand from the heat in baking (about 20% of the volume of shortening is air). It also has a higher and broader melting point than butter. If you creamed the butter and sugar and then refrigerated it for about 30-minutes to firm up a little and then cut it in as the shortening it might have a minimal impact, but oil will definately result in a denser muffin.

Believe it or not - if you use the new Trans-Fat Free Crisco, it's actually healthier than butter - lower in saturated fats and no cholesterol. And, believe it or not - butter contains some trans-fats!

Mish, I am anti-shortening!! I baked some cookies and unknowingly, the shortening was bad. I was told ( by the great people on this site!!) that you can use butter if it's cookies and cakes. IMO, it tastes a bit better, more sweet. The cookies were a little bit crispier than I like but I think that also had to do with the fact that they cook faster as well. Just personal experience. Good luck and let us know how they turn out!!:chef:

Thank you Cando, caine, boufa, Alix, Michael, mudbug & Mrs. C. The recipe looks interesting/appeals to me. Let me know if any of the bakers here give it a try.

Mrs. Cuillo said:
I baked some cookies and unknowingly, the shortening was bad.

Trust me Mrs. C. ... I did the same thing making a big batch of "box mix" brownies one night using vegetable oil ... it's just as nasty tasting as shortening when it goes rancid! Since it was for my son to take to school the next day - I got to go to the store and start over at 11:00pm! Just one of the joys of being a single Dad that had to work late ....

mish .... where is your sense of adventure? You want us to try it first?

Michael in FtW said:
mish .... where is your sense of adventure? You want us to try it first?

When I feel 'jazzed' about a recipe, I enjoy sharing it with others. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom