New to Bread Machine Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ee99ee

Assistant Cook
I received a nice bread machine for Christmas. I made the first loaf last night, and it tastes great, but there are some problems:

1) The bread is very thick. What can I adjust to make it more light and fluffy?
2) Today, the day after, the bread is very tough on the bottom 10%, but otherwise still in good shape on the top part of the loaf. It's very hard to cut when you're slicing near the bottom.
3) I noticed the bread is a little dry. I put a slice in the microwave to warm it up, and it was pretty rough once it cooled down a little. Not sure why.

I'm looking for the kind of consistancy that you get when you buy a loaf at the store, but fresher (since I made it! :)). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

This was just a normal white bread loaf, I want to get this basic recipe down before I do anything fancy. :)

Also, I DID use the recipe that came with the bread maker, and I put the ingredients in just as the instructions said.

It's not a bad loaf, but I was hoping it would be better than that which I buy at the store! I know it can be... I'm just doing something wrong. I used all good ingredients and everything, I just need to adjust something...

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to DC. This is a place where you will get many answers to all your questions...and quickly.

As for your bread, I've been baking bread for nearly 40 years. Mostly the old-fashioned way...by hand. Until a few years ago when I bought a bread machine because my hands couldn't do the kneading as well as they used to.

Having said that, I only use my bread machine on the DOUGH cycle, which kneads the bread dough and puts it through the first rise. Once it's done, I remove the dough, shape it into loaves and put the loaves in my bread pans, let rise the second time and bake as I've always done. I have probably used my machine to make bread all the way through a half dozen times in the 7 years I've owned it. I just never liked the "belly button" that formed in the machine loaf from the dough paddle.

You might give my method a try for a loaf and see what happens. I've adjusted my favorite bread recipe to make two regular loaves the way I described above. Your machine recipe will produce a single loaf.

Check the instruction booklet that came with the machine and see if there's a "troubleshooting" section about the end result of baking breads. That would give you some idea perhaps.

Best of luck and happy bread baking. I find it very rewarding and relaxing. To say nothing of how wonderful the house smells as the bread bakes.

i have been using my bread machine for a few years now(not every day mind you) and i have found that the loaves are denser than those you would buy in the store. I've tried white and whole wheat--ww is more so. maybe if you try finding another recipe there are so many out there now.
wish i could be more help to you....

I am ISO a good bread recipe that calls for bread flour (Central Market sells it in bulk for 49c/lb) but not non-fat milk for my bread machine. I've only made 2 loaves and I am getting ready for a 3rd. Any help is greatly appreciated. My bread machine is new-to-me (I got it for $4 at a thrift store) and didn't come with any great recipes.

mraa said:
I am ISO a good bread recipe that calls for bread flour (Central Market sells it in bulk for 49c/lb) but not non-fat milk for my bread machine. I've only made 2 loaves and I am getting ready for a 3rd. Any help is greatly appreciated. My bread machine is new-to-me (I got it for $4 at a thrift store) and didn't come with any great recipes.

I don't know if the grocery company, Kroger, goes as south as your area, but our Kroger stores sell King Arthur bread flour. I love it and wouldn't have anything else. It DOES make a difference.

Katie E said:
I don't know if the grocery company, Kroger, goes as south as your area, but our Kroger stores sell King Arthur bread flour. I love it and wouldn't have anything else. It DOES make a difference.

No, kroger is in D/FW area. We have HEB/Central Market, Randalls, Walmart, and very few Albertson's (they got bought out by Burger King). I think I've seen that brand before. I will check it out.:chef:

thank you, Dove. I'll let you know what I use when i start 'er up tomorrow.

mraa said:
No, kroger is in D/FW area. We have HEB/Central Market, Randalls, Walmart, and very few Albertson's (they got bought out by Burger King). I think I've seen that brand before. I will check it out.:chef:

Until I was able to buy the King Arthur flour at my grocery store, I bought it from the Baker's Catalougue. Here's a link: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/list.jsp?select=C79&byCategory=C275.

As you can see, there are all kinds of flours out there. The Baker's Catalogue site is a wonderful place for all kinds of baking ideas and "toys." Be careful. It can be a dangerous place, especially if you live in an area where resources are limited.

Back
Top Bottom