Calphalon-Nonstick or Infused Anodized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCook

Senior Cook
Ok I want to buy a calphalon cooking set and I am not sure whether to go with the non stick or the infused anodized. Help please!! I am also not to sure what the difference is. Help! I am wanting to stay around $500 for a set or if anyone knows of another brand in the same price range for a set please let me know. Thanks

JCook said:
Ok I want to buy a calphalon cooking set and I am not sure whether to go with the non stick or the infused anodized. Help please!! I am also not to sure what the difference is. Help! I am wanting to stay around $500 for a set or if anyone knows of another brand in the same price range for a set please let me know. Thanks

I usually think that it's better to buy the exact individual pieces you want instead of buying a set, but if you're just starting out or you're replacing all your old cookware, then I guess I can see going for the value of a set.

If you go to Calphalon's website, you should be able to get good information as to the difference between those two lines. The infused anodized is supposed to cook very similarly to stainless steel, so it's the choice for when you want nicely browned food and you want to deglaze after searing. Supposedly, this line is stick-resistant. I haven't found that to be so true, but it does perform well. If I recall correctly, it is dishwasher-safe, but I don't put my good cookware in the dishwasher. The nonstick line is just that -- nonstick. And it's good for foods that tend not to want to leave the pan EVAR. It should not go in the dishwasher.

If you're insistent on buying a set, I'd go for the infused anodized (or a good set of stainless steel) and then buy a nonstick skillet and maybe one nonstick pot.

I'm a "no" set person. I prefer to purchase pieces that serve a specific purpose. That's why I have a variety of cast-iron skillets, Calpahlon saucepans, Le Creuset Dutch ovens, etc.

I've been cooking for nearly 48 years and have discovered that, sometimes, a set will include a piece or pieces that are seldom or almost never used. That speaks to my frugal side, which can be evil at times. Buck says I can make a penny cry.

At any rate, I much prefer to buy a wonderful single piece of cookware that may seem to cost a lot. Better to do that than to shell out bucks for a set and never use some of its pieces. Just my experience and opinion.

I am wanting to buy a set because I am tossing out my old set. I do have 4 cast iron pans, Le Creuset dutch oven, cast iron dutch oven, griddles, wok, stainless steel pans, and more. I just want a really good brand new set of everyday cookware. I have continued to research and I also like the Anolon cookware. I am actually leaning more that way than Calphalon.

This is what i would recommend:
Amazon.com: Anolon Titanium Non Stick Dishwasher Safe 12-Piece Cookware Set: Home & Garden

If you don't want to buy the set (i didn't) you can get the pieces as you find them on ebay (thats what i did). These things are great. They are very heavily built and on the PLUS sice you can put them through the dishwasher (which you can't do with the calphalon). I have both calphalon and anolon titanium and even though both are great i prefer the analon.

Ncage

I have both types of Calphalon. I bought mine piece by piece. I found most of the pieces at T J Maxx and Marshalls. They were lable as seconds. SOme of the pans being sould were very noticably damaged. Over time I was able to find all the pans I wanted and they may have had a slight blemish on the outside.

I believe there is room in a kitchen for both types. I have 2 10 inch non-stick skillets I use for omletes and frying potatoes. My Calphalon one pans I use for everything else. I did not go the set route because they did include pans I wouldn't use. I also only spent about $250 the 12 and 10 inch sautee pans, the 3 and 5 qt sauce pan with sids, 8 qt dutch oven with lid, 8 qt stock pot with lid and pasta cooker insert.

JDP

my preference would be for the infused anodized. It is getting quite a good professional reputation.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money buying the nonstick version of the Calphalon Infused Anodized. You're paying extra money for the infused nonstick qualities of the pan which are then covered up by a traditional nonstick coating thus completely defeating the point.

Also, if you choose to purchase hard anondized cookware, do not put them in the dishwasher, regardless of the nonstick coating. The detergents react with the aluminum surface and create a milky white coating which cannot be washed off and negate the lifetime waranty.

If you choose to not go with the nonstick cookware, my advice would be to go with a Calphalon or All Clad stainless tri ply set, avoiding hard anondized altogether. They're much easier to care for and the performance is fantastic (I own all styles mentioned).

I found this thread very helpful in choosing the cookware I am going to buy. Yes I am going the set route, but I am just starting out and don't mind shelling out 400 bucks for a 13 piece stainless steel set: Amazon.com: Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless-Steel 13-Piece Cookware Set: Kitchen & Housewares

I have to hyjack here: I used to have a dishwasher back when I was a little guy and just learning to wash dishes by myself. I never fully understood why you had to wash the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher. Maybe it's just me.

EDIT: scratch that. This looks like it would buy enough time to get a real set:
Search Options

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom