Why do people think they can outrun the police?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
LOL, in this day and age, why do people try to drive and hide from the police? :LOL:

I just saw the chase in Miami. A woman stole a U-Haul and was trying to get away from about 1000 police cars and helicopters.

I didn't think a U-Haul could outrun a fast bike.

In fact, with all the forensics these days, I don't know how anyone gets away with any crime. I guess I'm just not clever enough. :rolleyes:

Goofy, huh, Jan. Very recently someone in our are stole an 18-wheeler complete with trailer and tried to run from the police. Well, duh! "Gee, officer, I didn't think you'd notice me."

Another candidate for Jay Leno's stupid criminals!:LOL:

Well, when I was younger.... I noticed a cop car turn around behind me, I knew what he was after me for... NO SEAT BELT!!! (I wear mine now!) Anywho... since I knew he was commin after me, I high tailed it on home and pulled into my parents side drive way and into the house. They could not give me a ticket since they could not prove it was me in the car!!! But they came to the door..... I know, I know, it was stupid... but I ran!!!

I honestly don't understand why folks continue to run knowing that the end could be ugly. I guess they got to get their 15 minutes of fame on the ol' telly!!!

with those helicopters you are DOOMED from the get go, just give it up!
but where there is non, there are certain instances where the police will Stop the chase if they beleive it will endanger lives further, those perps can sometimes get away with it.
as for forensics, that`s great where they perp already has a record (and happily most do).

I saw it on a Breaking News report on our local NBC station. Will wait until tonight to find out the details.

When you are high/drunk logic does not come into the picture.

I wonder what they say in front of the judge when the sober up?
They probably don't get a lot of sympathy. :hammer:
;)

No matter what time I turn on the news there are always stories about people being chased by the police.

It is really depressing because sometimes someone is killed.

I never watch the news before I go to bed because it is too depressing.

i tried a few times in my younger/wilder days; not a very bright thing to do.
got caught twice: once on foot, once in a car.

my friends and i were successful almost all of the time on foot because the average weight of the cops in my hometown was about 300lbs each. it was kind of a joke.
the time i got caught we broke into the high school to get water from the fountains. we used to play street hockey in the high school tennis courts across the street on sundays. unbeknownst to us, someone had broken in one weekend and stole cash from a teacher's desk, so the next weekend, they were wating for us. i almost made it, but got my wrist impaled on the top of a 10 foot chain link fence trying to get away. i was just hanging there by my wrist, so even the tub-o-lards were able to catch up. i didn't get in trouble because they caught the thieves later that night, and my alibi coincided with all of the other hockey players'. i just got a slap on the wrist, you might say. :(

the time i got caught in a car, i was heading over a friend's house early in the morning before going canoeing for the day. on the way to his house, canoe starpped to the top of the car, i got stuck behind someone who was going really slowly, swerving all over the lane like they were drunk. i waited for a straight stretch of road, and gunned it around them. unfortunately, it was in a no passing zone, and a cop was already stationed there for a speed trap.
i was already way ahead, and when i disappeared over a hill i made a quick couple of turns in a small residential neighborhood, taking a back way to my buddy's house. the cop anticipated the back roads and was able to cut me off. it must have been pretty easy to spot my truck with the canoe...duh. :wacko:
after being roughed up a bit, i ended up with about $300 in fines and 6 points on my license. :mad:

that was back in the late 70's, early 80's, in some fairly well off neighborhoods in north jersey. i wouldn't even think about doing it today in any bneighborhood, even if i were still young and incredibly stupid.
(no comments from the peanut gallery :) )

buckytom said:
i tried a few times in my younger/wilder days; not a very bright thing to do.
got caught twice: once on foot, once in a car.

LOL!!! Dude, I am certain we could of been friends back in that day!!!! I ran from the cops twice and was able to get away both times. One day I got pulled over for speeding, (I was nervous to because my inspection sticker was out), when the cop asked me why I was speeding, I told him I was in a hurry to get my car inspected before I got caught... and they bought it showing me where to go to get my car inspected!!! Yep, I went straight over there to get it inspected... NOT!!!!

The downside to running in the USA is minimized because you can't just get shot in the back, or (officially speaking) beat to a pulp for trying. There are a gazillion rules for the cops (Though maybe not applicable in some spots; like LA). People that run figure they're screwed anyway, so it's worth a shot.

D_Blackwell said:
The downside to running in the USA is minimized because you can't just get shot in the back, or (officially speaking) beat to a pulp for trying. There are a gazillion rules for the cops (Though maybe not applicable in some spots; like LA). People that run figure they're screwed anyway, so it's worth a shot.
Oh, L.A. has the same rules, but still there will always be rogue cops who break them either willfully or in panic; hence, the reason for such regulations, which protect both the department and civilians, who deserve, unless directly threatening someone, to have their day in court. Thankfully, most departments try their best to screen out those with personalities not befitting a most difficult job.

D_Blackwell said:

Yea.... you may have a point there... wow, can you imagine being in that place where it is all or nothing???

Jeekinz said:
Remember the ol' saying? 'No motor beats Motor-ola.'

"You can outrun the cops, but you can't outrun their radios."

I did it once. I had just picked up my 66 Stang and some guy at this one light was revving at me. I was like 20 and full of testosterone(SP) so I was like, whatever. I thought, it's too early for the cops to be sitting anywhere and there ain't no one on the road anyway, 'cept the people behind us. Light turned and we both gunned it. As we got to the top of the hill on the highway (about 200 yards from the off ramp), I looked at my speedo, 110MPH. I look over and he's slowing down and pointing to the side of the road. We fly by the *gentlemens club* and a white, unmarked, crown vic with one headlight out, pulls out behind the two cars behind me. than I see the lights going. EVERYONE hopped into the slow lane (where I was) and I took my off ramp at about 45, didn't stop at the bottom (I looked and no one was coming). Than I made a left turn thru a red light and went all the way to the other side of town before slowly driving home.

The last time I did 100, I got caught, but I wasn't about to deny it. The cop cut across the express lanes and came into the regular traffic lanes on the parkway. He got behind me, I pulled right over to the shoulder without him even turning on his lights. He walked up and asked me if I knew why he pulled me over. I said, speeding. He looked shocked for a second, I guess people try to lie when they get pulled over? :ermm: :LOL:

He asked me where I was in such a rush to get to and I told him I had a class at 8, it was about 7:45 and I needed to get to Neptune no later than 8 or I would have to take the class over again (which was the truth). I needed to go 100 the rest of the way down there just to make it in time. He kept me waiting there for 15 minutes before giving me a ticket for 74 in a 65 (kept me out of double points and he clocked me at 91). If I didn't have that ticket, I would have had to take the class over again. My instructor asked me if I learned anything, I said yeah, don't stay up all night if you have to get up early in the morning!

I'll never do that again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom