Freezing casseroles, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my65289stang

Assistant Cook
I am looking for info on freezing casseroles and other foods. My girlfriend and I are looking for a new place and money will most likely be tight so I am trying to have an arsenal of inexpensive but good recipes on hand for when the time comes. We have a Costco membership so certain things will be bought in bulk, put in the food saver bags, and then frozen. I am hoping to freeze things like meat loafs, casseroles, etc. Im wondering what foods do not freeze well and about how long I could freeze something like a meat loaf or casserole (assuming it is put into a “freezer safe” food saver bag). The plan would be to thaw whatever it is completely and then cook it, Im not going to attempt to take the meals straight from the freezer to the oven. I am also looking for ideas for meals (which ingredients could be purchased in bulk or are relatively inexpensive) that could be frozen. Not specific recipes but just general ideas (unless you would like to share your recipe J ).

Any help or thoughts appreciated
Brian

Brian, I would say that the only casseroles, soups, etc., that don't freeze well would be those that had a cream base, because the cream tends to curdle when thawed & reheated. BUT - you can usually easily make the dish up until the point where cream would be added & then freeze it, adding the cream after the dish has been thawed & reheated.

As far as meatloaf, even without a FoodSaver (which I recently received as a gift but haven't used yet) it lasts for a good month if properly wrapped. I cut mine into slices, wrapped each slice individually & thoroughly in plastic wrap, then put all the wrapped slices into a dated Ziploc bag. This way, one can take out how ever many slices one needs per serving, or even just a slice for a quick meatloaf sandwich.

I also always freeze chicken broth (both canned & homemade) in ice cube trays & then transfer them to Ziploc bags. Each cube equals approx. 1/8 of a cup (around 3 tablespoons or so), & comes in so handy when a recipe just asks for a small amount.

Different types of chili - both red & white, with or without beans - always freeze great. And again, without a Foodsaver, I had terrific luck pouring cooled chili into plastic-wrap-lined freezer safe individual bowls, freezing it, popping it out of the bowls, then wrapping it & popping it with others into a Ziploc bag. Again - you end up with individually wrapped servings that just need a quick rinse with hot water to remove the plastic & can then be put back in the bowls & thawed & reheated in the microwave.

Stang, you're in luck. We've got many threads on just this topic.
Go to the search button, and click on "advanced search".
Then type in the word FREEZER in the box, and use the "titles only" option. You will have a plethora of great recipes and ideas!

Great, thank you both for the replies ;)

Breezy, excellent ideas. The one that caught my attention was the "broth cubes" awesome idea. Ill check out a search and see what everyone else had to say

Thanks again to both of you

I have found that the only thing that doesn't freeze well is potatoes in a broth (as in a stew or soup). They get mealy. Twice baked potatoes are a GREAT thing to have in the freezer to either make a main dish meal (add some meat to the potato mixture) or to round out a meal. I freeze them on a cookie sheet and then put in FoodSaver bags. Otherwise they really gather frost. The addition of butter and sour cream makes it OK to freeze potatoes this way.
I have successfully frozen cream/milk sauces.
Pasta dishes freeze well. I freeze spagetti sauce, chili, soups, etc. in ZipLocs. I don't think there is any need to do a foodSaver on them, and they stack in the freezer well.
I prefer to freeze meatloaf uncooked and then cook fresh.

I freeze meals all the time.
Here is what I make that freezes well:

lasanga
beef vegtable soup
chicken tortilla soup
chicken enchilada casserole
meatloaf
chili
cookie dough
cheesecake

Oh yes - lasagna!! I freeze lasagna the same way I do meatloaf - individual portions tightly wrapped in plastic wrap & then all put in a Ziploc bag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom