Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Gung Hay Fat Choy! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/gung-hay-fat-choy-32481.html)

buckytom 02-17-2007 07:53 AM

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

happy chinese new year everyone!

welcome to the year of the red fire pig.

in honor of the new year, i'm making ginger and garlic stir fried shrimp tonight, since i never used the shrimp in a fra diavolo last night.

does anyone here celebrate chinese new year?

(where all of our jewish members? if not for the chinese, you'd have starved... :wink: )

Michelemarie 02-17-2007 08:08 AM

Happy Chinese New Year to you Mr. Buckytom! I wish I was sitting at your table tonight! Enjoy!

middie 02-17-2007 10:19 AM

Never celebrated Chinese New Year. But I could go for a huge bowl of fried pork rice and some wonton soup right about now. Oh heck throw in some sweet and sour pork with it.

Happy Chinese New Year

YT2095 02-17-2007 10:32 AM

I`ll celebrate almost Anything and rarely need an excuse, Gung Hay Fat Choy to you too Dude :wink:

according to my Calendar, 2007 is the year of the Boar (the Pig thingy, not the sort that sends you to sleep).

Constance 02-17-2007 11:07 AM

Same here...I'm always up for a celebration.
For my birthday, I got a gift certificate for the Full Moon House, a small local establishment owned by a family who immigrated here from China about 30 years ago. The food is delicious, and the prices are quite reasonable.
I'd love to go there for dinner tonight, but it's been snowing off and on since midnight, and it's starting to pile up. Think I'll just stay in with my snuggly blanket. I have a lot of canned Chinese vegies on hand...maybe I'll get creative.

appletart 02-17-2007 11:41 AM

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckytom
happy chinese new year everyone!

welcome to the year of the red fire pig.

in honor of the new year, i'm making ginger and garlic stir fried shrimp tonight, since i never used the shrimp in a fra diavolo last night.

does anyone here celebrate chinese new year?

(where all of our jewish members? if not for the chinese, you'd have starved... :wink: )

Hi Buckytom,

Yes, we do celebrate with lots of food!!!..one very popular dish served that we make is jai, a dish that the Buddhist Monks used to eat..mostly vegetarian including:
tree fungus, lotus seed, ginko nuts black moss seaweed, dry golden lily
dried tofu sticks,long rice, sliced bamboo shoots, sliced lotus root, carrot, into "coins" Chinese snow peas, bok choy,water chestnuts, mushrooms, baby corn, but it has evolved where folks will add some seafood like dried oysters and /or pork sausage..

YT2095 02-17-2007 11:51 AM

Ewww yeah!

where did ya say you lived again? I`m bringing my tent, my bowl and chopsticks :)

buckytom 02-17-2007 11:55 AM

tree fungus. aghlghlghghlgh (drooling)

your dish sounds delish, appletart.

pigs, boars... they're all tasty little beasts. pork, bacon, ham.

or should i say a "magical animal". :chef:

Alix 02-17-2007 12:01 PM

My youngest goes to a school where they have a Mandarin second language program so they had a big assembly yesterday and a big chinese lunch. Very cool. Is it today or tomorrow?

appletart 02-17-2007 12:04 PM

Hi,

Chinese Year 4705 February 18, 2007. It's the year of the Pig, a Yin year. The date changes every year. It is a 15 day celebration, beginning on the first day of the new moon, and ends on the full moon. The celebration on the15th day is called the Lantern Festival.