"when others would choose''...pick your poison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I was talking to a gal on my last trip, who is one of the biggest yo yo dieter I've ever met. She was telling me where she and her boyfriend were going to dinner for Valentines Day. We started talking about our guilty pleasures and I told her that I was not a dessert person, while she told me she definitely was. She went on and on about tiramisu, flan, custards etc. Told me that hands down, she'd pick that/those, over meat or vegetables always. I told her that if I was to choose between blank and blank, I'd choose blank.

Here is my choice..........
If there was a...

7 layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting in front of me
vs.
fresh baked loaf of sourdough bread with real butter, parmesan cheese and garlic powder

I'd choose the bread over the cake any day....

How bout you? If others would obviously choose the {???} over the {???} what would your choice be?
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
As usual, I didnt' make myself clear here. I am not meaning for people to choose between dessert/sweets and bread/carbs, what I was wondering is when others would/may choose the veggies over the meat on their plate, or the potato pancakes over the fried chicken, what is your "I'd choose the ? over the obvious ?

Bet that still doesn't make sense, oh well, I tried:wacko:

Last edited:
Ditto for me Lefse, any day. Also I'd take fried chicken over any sweet !
Even though I bake something for the weekend and enjoy.

Last edited:
When I was younger, I had quite a sweet tooth but as I've gotten older sweets seem to have taken a back seat to nearly any other edible. We've had a single-layer 8-inch chocolate cake on the counter in the kitchen since Wednesday morning. Only two pieces have been eaten. In the past it would've been gonzo in a hurry.

I don't know what I would choose in lieu of sweets. There are so many things I like much better. As you said, lefse, there's nothing to compare to homemade bread with real butter. I can take the same pleasure in eating a gorgeous tossed salad or a bowl of steaming steel-cut oatmeal. So much food, so little time.

yeah, garlic bread and plenty cheese anyday over Choc Anything.

I`m one of the few people that isn`t a great lover of choc anyway, I can take or leave it and if it vanished entirely, I wouldn`t miss it.

Natchos on the other hand, or salted Nuts... I`ll RIP YOUR ARM OFF!!! :))

Totally agree with you guys.
I throw away lots of sweets or deserts here at home.
I tend to want savory over sweets most times.
BUT, then again I do have that ice cream problem:LOL:

Anything with ginger in it. Savoury or sweet. They do a wonderful duck with ginger , spring onions and bamboo shoots at our local Chinese take away.

I'm with Michele Marie, I would want both. I am easily led by DH in restaurants to have more courses than I should, and I am cutting back on that:hard! I think I will always have a swet tooth, so if I was really pushed I guess I would choose the cake: but it really would be very very hard. Honestly, I think I will take up more sport so tht the choice is less difficult and I cn exercise the calories away!

For dessert, give me the cheese plate and keep the sweet stuff away.

Am not a real fan of sweets for some reason.

Would much rather end a fine meal with a few slices of cheese and maybe a good port or sherry than some sweet concoction.

Just my preference.

I was asked one time "are you STILL eating"? by a friend who was sitting there eating a big piece of some dessert while I had a few more bites of what our dinner was. What's the difference, I asked. It was "time" for dessert, not to still be eating. :wacko: So, for all you who ever questioned should you or shouldn't you get that dessert - go AHEAD - apparently it's not really eating after all!

Which answers the question - I'll go for the savory 99.99999999% of the time. Every now and then a little something sweet hits the spot.

Fresh bread

I wintered over at Little America, in Antarctica in 1957.
While on the mid-watch I would go to the galley when the cook was baking bread.
I would take a loaf of bread, fresh out of the oven, pull out all the soft bread inside, leaving only the crust.
Insert ½ cup of butter and “squash”!
With a cup of hot coffee, and butter dripping all over it was a FEAST to enjoy!

Charlie

Hungry said:
I wintered over at Little America, in Antarctica in 1957.
While on the mid-watch I would go to the galley when the cook was baking bread.
I would take a loaf of bread, fresh out of the oven, pull out all the soft bread inside, leaving only the crust.
Insert ½ cup of butter and “squash”!
With a cup of hot coffee, and butter dripping all over it was a FEAST to enjoy!

Charlie
Oh Charlie, I love that. My gosh, I know now I REALLY don't know the meaning of cold but you sure do.

My little boy, the one that isn't little anymore but the one thats back is currently broken, took my bread out of the bread machine one day, took the whole 1 1/2 pound loaf, on his bike and rode the day away with our supper's planned bread. Guess he'd choose the bread over the dessert too. He is one like so few, isn't fond of chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom