Best appetizer to make from baguette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Anybody have any good recipes for appetizers made from sliced baguette? I love using it, but the only thing I usually end up using them for is smearing roasted garlic on them.

Any other ideas?

Her is what I do with slised bagette. Spread a little bit of butter on both sides and fry it until lightly brown. Set aside. You can also simply toast on both sides. I just love that fried taste. Mix together some good ketchup and unsulted butter. Till it is smoth and can be spread like regular butter. Spred on the toast liberaly (or to your liking). Sprinkle with freshly gradwd cheese, what ever kind you like. Serve. I like it when the toast is still a little bit warm, yum.

Wow, hundreds, olive paste, I had a lovely artichoke paste and truffle oil paste on Saturday, tomatue sauce full of anchovies, a slice of tomato and a thin slice of goat's cheese, a caper paste, tomato sauce and olives, a slice of cheese with fruit and a little honey, goat's cheese, prosciutto and figs and honey (I can do this for some time...) any of the above, or anything else, on the lightly toasted baguette slices under the grill/broiler untill appropriate

My all time favourite. Thinly slice the baguette, brush with olive oil, and broil until light golden. Top with very thinly sliced leftover medium rare steak, (or roast beef). Top with a dollop of Bearnaise. Or, top with caramelized onions mixed with a bit of roasted garlic and balsamic reduction. Or top with a homemade olive salad. Or top with prosciutto and gruyere, and place under broiler. Or, or....:) I love baguettes.

make Mini-Pizzas, spread a little ketchup garlic oregano and basil mix on them, a single peperoni slice and top with mozzeralla cheese, then toast like it was a pizza.

Kids love them too :)

edit: oh Yeah, and I seem to rem seeing something done where the end was cut off, the soft bread part in the middle was taken out and used with a meat and herb mix (raw) then packed back into the hollow stick and cooked, allowed to cool and put in the fridge, then taken out when chilled and carefuly sliced, but I don`t rem all the details, Sorry :S

Last edited:
I`de love to, but it was about 15 years ago, all I can say is that it contained ground meat, onions and herbs (salt and pepper as per usual) and the bread you took out the middle, that was all mixed up in a bowl after the bread was crumbed, I can`t even say if they used an Egg binder or something, I just dont remember, Sorry :(

chave982 said:
Anybody have any good recipes for appetizers made from sliced baguette? I love using it, but the only thing I usually end up using them for is smearing roasted garlic on them.

Any other ideas?
Sliced baguette is the basis for all sorts of Bruschetta (pronounced Brus ketta, please!) and Crostini. All are delicious, so it just depends upon what you feel like making, or what you have in the fridge that you want to use up. Chopped up tomatoes and garlic are not even the TIP of the iceberg! :D

YT2095 said:
I`de love to, but it was about 15 years ago, all I can say is that it contained ground meat, onions and herbs (salt and pepper as per usual) and the bread you took out the middle, that was all mixed up in a bowl after the bread was crumbed, I can`t even say if they used an Egg binder or something, I just dont remember, Sorry :(
YT, are you referring to Roti John by any chance?

Crostini/bruschetta. Toast the baguette slices. Offer roasted red pepper, goat cheese, capers. Or olive tapenade and goat cheese. Or roasted tomato pesto and goat cheese and capers. Or tomato bruschetta topping from Costco. Or foie gras with pear confiture. Caramelized onions with goat cheese.

boufa06 said:
YT, are you referring to Roti John by any chance?

I don`t know, maybe?
as I said it was such a long time ago and I wasn`t paying FULL attention (as usual) so I really couldn`t say 100%.
but you might be right :)

got any sources with pics? I might know if I see it :)

This is my hands-down favorite:

Crab & Artichoke Crostini

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

One 6-ounce can crabmeat
One 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sour cream
Ground cayenne pepper to taste
Paprika (optional)
Approx. 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
Six 1" thick diagonal slices of an Italian or French baguette

Mix first 4 ingredients together, along with a few dashes of cayenne pepper to taste. Stir in one cup of grated Parmesan.

Spread mixture thickly on top of slices of bread, top with additional cup of Parmesan cheese, & sprinkle lightly with a little additional cayenne pepper, or regular paprika.

Bake in oven for approx. 15 minutes or until heated through. If you prefer a browner topping, you can broil the pieces briefly.

Serve as an appetizer, or as a light supper along with a green salad.

That recipe sounds really tasty, Breezy, but that's A LOT of parmesan cheese!

Bruschetta is a delicious and easy way to go. We had some with just chopped tomatoes, garlic and basil on Sunday. So delicious!

How about making some bagna cauda? I just posted the recipe under garlic dishe. It's sooooo good! Just make sure your SO eats some too!

YT2095 said:
I don`t know, maybe?
as I said it was such a long time ago and I wasn`t paying FULL attention (as usual) so I really couldn`t say 100%.
but you might be right :)

got any sources with pics? I might know if I see it :)
Here are some pics of Roti John.

I just made a "Greek Crostini" the other day with baguette.

It was basically a homemade hummus (or storebought) on slightly toasted baguette, topped with a mixture of (1 T. olive oil, 2 T. finely chopped celery and 8 large pitted green olives seasoned w/ salt and pepper). Just sprinkle the mixture on top of the hummus and drizzle w/ olive oil. Top with fresh ground pepper. I suppose you could add some sprinkled feta too.

Served it to my son's teachers for a luncheon and had good feedback.

Lori

Back
Top Bottom