Guayabera Clothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
Does anyone currently wear Guayabera? The ad says "can be sub'd for tuxedo" at weddings. Speaking mainly of beach and island weddings.
I am basically wanting to know if this is a well made garment and if it would be suitable for traveling and vacation wearing.

Guayabera is really a style of shirt. It has a square tail designed to be worn outside of the trousers and there are small flutes in strips about an 1 to 1-1/2 inches wide which run down the front of the shirt from the mid-shoulder to the bottom. There are usually 4 front square pockets, two breast and two at the bottom of the shirt directly below the breast pockets. Some guayaberas I've had have matching strips of flutes down the back.

Most I've seen are made of linen or cotton and they are extremely comfortable in warm climates since they are open at the bottom and are rather baggy so air circulates well. They make them in long or short sleeve, but I've only worn short sleeve.

Like any other article of clothing, quality will vary with the manufacturer.

If the garment is made out of cotton or linen, it should be very comfortable in hot, humid climates. Both of these fabrics are excellent at "wicking" perspiration away from our bodies.

Think the movie, "Casablanca" and the linen suits, etc.

Many of the shirts and garments worn by folks in the Philippines are made of cotton and/or linen for obvious reasons.

The downside to cotton and linen is that they have a tendency to wrinkle. They are both natural fibers and that is a characteristic of them.

If you want to use cotton/linen to for vacation wear, you should be very comfortable temperature-wise. However, whatever you pack will arrive at its destination fairly wrinkled. You choose your poison.

Here is a pic of what I think you are talking about. I guess you could wear one to an island wedding. I am hoping they dress a little cooler and less formal than weddings in the states. Looks like it would be great for vacationing in. Looks comfy and casual, but like something you could go to a decent resteraunt in.

I have something similar I wear in the summer and it seems to be pretty durable. I just throw it in the washer, dryer (paying no attention to labels or washing directions)

I get alot of compliments on mine.

Attachments

• d_v_ss_guayabera.jpg
    d_v_ss_guayabera.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 248
We are going to be traveling this summer and light weight flexible clothing is a must. I am very glad that they can be washed & dried. It does not sound like ironing is an issue :)smile: ).

:) I also like the pockets. It really screams "I am not to be tucked."

hookied_up.....what style of slacks/jeans or shorts would the shirts that you pictured look best with?

I've worn them to the opera and ballet during the summer months and looked very nice if I do say so myself. For warm weather comfort and style the're hard to beat.

i live in the south and wear these all the time. i have cotton and blend shirts. the cottons do have to be ironed, but the blends don't, at least the ones that i have.

i get them from locostyle.com. several orders and no problems.

don't know much about weddings.

StirBlue said:
hookied_up.....what style of slacks/jeans or shorts would the shirts that you pictured look best with?

I am no fashion expert, but you can get away with anything from a nice pair of slacks, to casual dockers, even a pair of kaki shorts. I'm pretty casual and usualy end up wearing mine with kaki shorts and sandals in the summer.

alandavs said:
but the blends don't, at least the ones that i have.

Usually the "blends" you are referring to are cotton/polyester blends, then the 65/35% blends will usually require little or no ironing. That is, 65% polyester/35% cotton. Many times the percentages are listed on the garment label.

And, yes, the blends won't last as long as natural fibers. Natural fibers are more durable. So it depends on what you want...convenience or durability. In the end, it's your choice.

Back
Top Bottom