IBS - Gluten Free Diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treklady

Cook
My husband has IBS. We have been told that one of the ways to help remedy that the natural way is to for some time, get him off the Gluten.

I know it is extreme to may a folks, but we are already on the road to healthier eating. We grind our own wheat and make our own bread, we do Organic veggies and as much organic as out pocketbooks will allow.

Now my question is...Due to the fact that our bread is a complete gluten and not a processed gluten, would we still fall into that category of having to lose our homemade bread. I website or a book that anyone can direct me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Treklady, don't know if a zero gluten diet is helpful for IBS or not, but it is mandatory for celiac disease.

Need to cut out all wheat products basically.

But if you want to give it a try would search for recipes for celiac disease, and you will find many.

For celiac disease you cannot cheat, for IBS I have no idea.

Good luck.

Treklady said:
Due to the fact that our bread is a complete gluten and not a processed gluten, would we still fall into that category of having to lose our homemade bread.

All gluten is "processed" technically - it does not occur naturally ... it is formed from two proteins in wheat (whether flour out of a bag or ground at home), glutenin and gliadin, which when mixed with a liquid and "agitated" (as in kneading or stirring) mixes the glutenin and gliadin together to form gluten. In IBS, gluten is less of a problem than insoluble fiber.

Sometimes insoluble fiber is a problem - sometimes it's not. What did hubby's doctor say about a diet he should follow?

Check with his doctor first, but instant mashed potato flakes (the flakes, not the "buds") make a good flour substitute in some recipes. They are great coating instead of flour or bread crumbs, and they thicken gravies, soups and stews quite well. I do not know if they will work in your situation, so ask your doc or nutritionist first.

My nephew and sister both have IBS. The doctors did not say anything about gluten to either of thembut stressed the dairy and acidic foods. Lactose free milk, no cheese, ice cream etc., stay away from tomato, citrus during an attack. Yogurt with the bacteria (Activia?) was good to help. Celiac disease is becoming a more common cause of problems however and there are lots of internet sites with info and products.

I am reading up on IBS and it seems to me (with the little research I have done thus far) that IBS is due to an imbalance in our guts. Our diets are way out of whack. Imagine that.

I am not a cold turkey person. I prefer to do things in baby steps. I am on my way to giving up caffiene (Another item that tears up your insides). I am down to one cup a day and boy was that tough.

Another thing they say is the acid in the diet. When there is not enough, then them nasty bad-microbes hav e a field day with all the carbs that end up sitting in our guts. It is their fuel to wreak havoc on our intestines.

Can we eliminate IBS? Not to sure, but I know for a fact I csn lessen my husbands condition. I just don't know if he is willing to do what it takes to at least jump start this adventure.

You guys are grand, and thanks for all the wonderful replies!! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom