My dog is on her last legs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I just posted a thread about clogged plumbing and how I fixed it. But we have another clog that is far worse in our home. Our ten-year old dog, Kaysee, loved to chew on her rope toy. She shredded that thing. unfortunately, we didn't realise that whe was ingesting the rope fibers. And occasionally, we gave her left-over bones from pork chops and such. About 2 weeks ago, she sudenly became ill. She became weak and unable to keep food down. Her bm's were small, tiny, and she lost weight rapidly. We took her to the vet and he took x-rays. There is a definite blockage in her large intestine, right where it meets her small intestine. From the x-rays, it looks dense enough to resemble bone fragments. She is dying.

We were given a stool softener to give her every four hours, but it doesn't seem to be breaking up the blockage. I fear that Monday will be the day we will have to take her in to be put down.

Kaysee was never an overly smart dog, and made a mess of our house on a regular basis. She was a lot like a three-year-old child. She absolutley loved to play, and was always hungry for atttention. And we love her.

What is never thought about when getting a pet, be it dog, cat, or whatever, is that even if there is never a problem with sickness, or health, the animal's life span is much shorter than is ours, and that one day, we will have to witness its death.

I know that there are those who think, well, she's not like a real human and you can always get another dog. I don't understand how people can think like that. Though they may not be as smart as people (at least most people), they have intelligence, personality, emotions, and a spirit. They are not little machines, or hunting tools, or toys, or protection devices. They are living creatures. And yes, I feel that way about all living creatures. Just as I am animated by a spirit, so too are they.

I am going to miss Kaysee. I hate trying to type with my eyes misting up.

Do not give your dogs chew toys that are not digestible. And bones are not a good thing either. The vet told me that he had a case where the owner of a large dog, once a year, would by a large beef knuckle and give it to his dog for a treat. The dog ended up as mine is, with a blockage, and had to be put down.

Love your animals, and find out how to properly take care of him/her. Treats aren't required. Love and attention are. You will get more fun out of your pet playing with it, and giving it the attention it craves, that you will simply throwing it a treat, and giving it a toy, so that you won't be bothered while you sit and watch TV.

What's true for very young children is basically true for dogs as well. They respond well, and behave well when they are treated with respect, and love. And you have to understand the limitations that they have, and work to develop their strengths and abilities. If you don't have time to give an animal the attention it needs, then don't get a pet. It's not fair to the animal, or to the owner. Both lose out.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I was wondering about surgery too Goodweed. I may be an option.
If not then I really do feel and grieve with you. It's never easy to
lose a pet. In my eyes they're not pets, they're like my children.

Oh, G'weed, my heart aches for you. We love/loved all our pets as if they are/were family. They communicate so much more than folks who don't have pets will ever understand. As I look around the room I'm in, I can see several loving faces and can't imagine life without them.

Isn't there something the vet can do? As jpm said, surgery perhaps to remove the blockage. I can't imagine there isn't some avenue that you could pursue to relieve both your and Kaysee's discomfort.

Suffice it to say, your whole family and Kaysee is in my prayers.

Surgery would run $1200 or more that I dont' have, and there is no gauruntee that it would work. She is old, and even with surgery, the vet says chances aren't good. I know her spirit will live on, and that only her body is gone. I don't know what happens to an animals spirit, but I do know there is one, and she has been a good dog. I have to believe there is a better place for her.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I sure feel for you, Weed. It's so hard to say good-bye to our dear friends.
I think it was Will Rogers that said if dogs didn't go to heaven, he wanted to go where the dogs go.

Do you live near a vet school that would do it pro bono?
Our dogs have all eaten lots of stuff like rope, kleenex, etc. on a regular basis, which I could see in all its glory. some of it was amazing. I doubt seriously that the rope fibers had anything to do with the blockage.
That said, I am very very sorry. We had to put our golden down last fall and are facing it with our other dog. With the latter, I had made the decision that it had to be done, took him for a walk (see below) and decided there was just too much life left. But I know the day is approaching and I will have to make the decision, depending on how he is.
IF you think Monday is the day, let me tell you what our DD and her husband did when faced with that conclusion. They took their beloved Jake, gave him a wonderful bath, took him to the park for an afternoon of play, and generally gave him the days of his life. And had the vet come to their house and put him to sleep.
They also had zero money available to spend on him--but did--every penney he needed when he needed it.

And a good bit of exercise just might break that blockage loose.

Last edited:
i'm really sorry to hear that gw. i'd buy you a beer if you lived down the street.

she's a lucky dog to have had your family as her adopted one.

That is so sad. My Heart goes out to you and your family.
Other products that should never be given to dogs are; Turkey, too rich for their systems cause severe digestive discomfort; "Pig Ears" they are very fiberous and will adhere to the lining of their stomachs; Rawhide chews, tehy will cause choking and blockages.

Really sorry to hear about your dog. We used to give our dogs those gross pig ears and our vet told us to stop. Basically pets should never have people food or bones of any kind. We just love them so much and want to give them the world.

I am very sorry to hear this news = I can't imagine what a sad and difficult time this is for you.

Oh, Goodweed, I am so sorry to hear this news. I wish there was something I could say to make you feel better or help her, but I have yet to find the words. I know you will miss her.

Goodweed of the North said:
I just posted a thread about clogged plumbing and how I fixed it. But we have another clog that is far worse in our home. Our ten-year old dog, Kaysee, loved to chew on her rope toy. She shredded that thing. unfortunately, we didn't realise that whe was ingesting the rope fibers. And occasionally, we gave her left-over bones from pork chops and such. About 2 weeks ago, she sudenly became ill. She became weak and unable to keep food down.

GW whatever you did for Kaysee you did out of love for her as part of your family. She knows that. It's good that in spite of your gried you willingly release her. I'm very sorry for your anguish in losing her.I
:(

Goodweed, I am so sorry! I know that your heart is heavy. It's so very difficult when our pets fall ill. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Goodweed,
Katie E and I have been in the situation you are now in. It's a tough one to bear. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Buck

"I know that there are those who think, well, she's not like a real human and you can always get another dog."

Ah, but to us, in many ways, they are human. And I've been closer to many of my pets, than to a lot of humans I've met. I'm really sorry you're going through this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom