Federal Grand Jury Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
Sooo, I received a juror questionnaire last summer, filled it out, sent it in and didn't think much more of it. I guess my number came up because I just got a big honkin' manila envelope from the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio. I've been summoned to be available as a Grand Juror, blah, blah, blah. Has anyone done this and if so, what should I expect? I'm interested in doing it, I'm sure it'd be quite the learning experience!

I wasselected for garnd jury starting January 16th. Everytime I called the phone number to see if I was needed the caes were cancelled until a further date. At the beginning of this month they said my time has been served. I wish I could tell ya more than that but I myself have no idea.

DampCharcoal said:
Sooo, I received a juror questionnaire last summer, filled it out, sent it in and didn't think much more of it. I guess my number came up because I just got a big honkin' manila envelope from the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio. I've been summoned to be available as a Grand Juror, blah, blah, blah. Has anyone done this and if so, what should I expect? I'm interested in doing it, I'm sure it'd be quite the learning experience!
DC I don't know how it goes in the States. Here, you can get called for Juror Service. They call many more people than they actually need and you are expected to 'be available' in case you are called on which means going along and probably getting bored silly unless you are fortunate enough to be one of 'the chosen few' If John Grisham's books are a true reflection of your Jury Service it could be worse over there. It's common practice it seems to string the whoile thing out by objecting to as many Jurors as possible.:LOL:
It would be great if you were called to serve in a really interesting case. Good Luck:)

I was wondering about that, middie. I'm supposed to call a number and listen to the message the day before I show up. I filled out the forms and included a letter to the judge asking him to delay my appearance because I'm going to be taking care of a couple of geriatric dogs during that time. Let's see if that flys!

csalt, hang 'em high! IF I do eventually get selected, it had better be something good!

Charc, I got called last year for the U.S. Federal Court, Eastern District in Alexandria, VA. This is the court where they tried Zacarias Moussauoi - remember, the 20th hijacker?

Went down and attended for one day but then was excused because they drew names from the pool of us potential jurors to select about 25 or so.

Kinda wished I had been selected because these courts try the federal cases and it would have been more interesting than your garden variety breaking-and-entering case. However, grand juries "sit" for sometimes up to 18 months (not always consecutive days), so it could be a problem for some people.

I filled me forms in such a terible way and added a coment about being a foreigner and having terible english, so I haven't heard from them since.

Mud, I'm with you. I'd like to experience the higher courts first hand and maybe get a better understanding about what exactly goes on in our Courts!

I seem to get called for the lower courts at least once a year...
I've only been selected for one trial though. It was interesting but, once was enough. Parking was 20 dollars a day, I got a 101 dollar ticket for turning on to a "bus only" lane, and some idiot stole a bunch of my gas.
The 15 dollars they pay you to sit there all day while waiting to be called
(three days in Seattle) just isn't worth the time or the pain.

Pds, I hear it's a pain in the a** but I'm willing to go for it. That and I don't really want Federal Marshal's breathing up my rear end.

Oh...don't get me wrong Damp...

I'll show up next time. I'm scared not to. But, I won't go with a smile on my face. I'll be frowning just like the 300 other people sitting there. :)

Its really hard to get out of federal jury duty. You could be empaneled on a federal grand jury or trial that would last MONTHS if not weeks. You need a better excuse to get out of jury duty - a financial hardship or if your employer could write a letter saying you are too important to the business to be away from work - that might fly.

Southern District of Ohio, huh? My neck of the woods. Most of the judges are nice but there are a couple of crusty old crabs too.

good luck -

Thanks, Toots. I'm not trying to get out of jury duty, I think it'd be pretty cool to be a Juror but I made a promise to my friends to take care of their dogs, the Yellow Lab needs 22 ccs of Humulin twice daily as well as letting them out when they need to relieve themselves. I hope the Justice will understand.

Knock on wood. I've never been called, and hope never to be called. Heard way too many stories about how the 'system' is set up to waste as much of your time as possible, and they don't even pretend to treat you halfway decently. I sweat and bleed for my vacation days. It may be a terrible thing to say, but I don't want to waste them going through that process. I'd do my duty, and endeavor to do it well - but I'd strongly prefer that it not come to that.

I served on jury duty once. I found it interesting actually, but then again I like that sort of thing. You wont be paid much. Civic duty is good.

Update on the Grand Jury fiasco, if anyone is interested:

After mailing the forms, I went over the packet to make sure I did everything correctly for peace of mind. I did but I noticed something odd. In my haste to get everything mailed off, I addressed my letter to Judge Kiearny. Unfortunately, Judge Kiearny is not the sitting judge. He's the guy the Federal court house is named after and is also deceased. I hope the good Judge Bollini has a sense of humor.

Nice move, moron. Can inmates use computers in jail?

I was called to serve on a Federal Jury in Dallas a couple of years ago. I just showed up, they asked a couple of questions, and I was selected.

The trial lasted 5 days, the pay was $40.00 a day and I think they paid the parking.

I didn't think it was much different thean regular jusry duty, its just the Federal Judge is a little scary, very stern fellow.

later

Just remember that a GRAND JURY is a lot different than a "regular" jury.

A grand jury is not involved in a trial. A grand jury hears evidence presented by the prosecution in order to determine if the evidence is sufficient to indict someone. The process is very different than a trial.

I've never been empaneled on a grand jury but usually they serve for a time certain (eg, a month) but do not have to show up every day -- just when they are needed.

I have been on several other juries and found the experience to be very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom