I Need Blender Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
My 12-year old cheapo Waring blender was not up to Dina's enchilada sauce this afternoon (no offense, Dina). The poor thing is gasping for air and half crippled. It just barely limped to the finish line.

I think it's time for a new blender. One with lots of shiny metal parts (it's a guy thing) that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Any recommendations?

Osterizer...don't spend a lot of money! (I have one that goes back to when Moby Dick was a minnow) I view these things as disposable...not a life time investment...

I have a Hamilton Beach. It has enough power to take on the big stuff. And it has settings for the light jobs. The blender pitcher is 40 oz.
It was in the med price range. I purchased it in a dept store at the mall.
The blender is dark green.

The cuisinart one is great, I've used and abused it for a while. Whilst working in the industry I also had great reports about the kitchenaid belnder too.

Everyone the Same

Seems everyone believes that making investment in blender is not worth it. I still have a Osterizer although I considered better, everyone I talked to at the stores told me to just get what was on sale. Throw away society we live in. Good luck.

mudbug said:
I feel your pain, Andy. Mine's an old cheapo too that I hardly use.

Mine does not have to have as many shiny metal parts as Andy's.

Mine is also an elcheapo one - Betty Crocker. Paid only about $20.00 for it. I hardly use it, but when I do, it gets the job done!:chef:

K'Aid has a discontinued model on their store discount website, if you want it, Andy. It sells for $39.00 if they still have some left. And the motor base is an all-metal one! I got my stick blender from there.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for your tips.

eatsOats: Who is the CI you tefer to in your post? Did you mean to type CU?

Andy M. said:
My 12-year old cheapo Waring blender was not up to Dina's enchilada sauce this afternoon (no offense, Dina). The poor thing is gasping for air and half crippled. It just barely limped to the finish line.

I think it's time for a new blender. One with lots of shiny metal parts (it's a guy thing) that does not cost an arm and a leg.

Any recommendations?

Ok andy im going to say i definitly know what im talkin about on this one? Why went through so many blenders. I use my blender at least 5 times a week. From smoothies, to making pesto, to sauces, tomato sauce. I use it for just about everything. It sits on my counter and i never put it away. I have had kitchenaid blender (it was ok), the cuisinart blender that was already posted (it broke within a year) and left chunky smoothies, a krups unit that was highly rated in CR (it broke within 1.5yr). For me the true test of a blender is in can it crush ice without breaking and when you blend a smothie are you left with chunks. Well after doing some research i bought this blender:
Amazon.com: Oster Beehive Chrome Blender: Home & Garden

This thing is a BRUTE. Its got WAY more power than anything ive ever used. This will turn anything into smooth liquid in a short time. Is there any downfall to this blender? Sure nothing is perfect so here goes:
1) its LOUD REALLY REALLY LOUD. This does not bother me. You should not be blending anything when people are asleep anyways
2) The lid could be a tad better
3) There are only two speeds: Pulse and on like the warning blenders. The only thing i dont like about this is when your trying to blend something and start out slow so it doesn't go all over everything. What i usually do is pulls it really fast and then start it on high.

Yes this is definitly the best blender ive ever had and its cheaper than the KA/Cuisinart units too. Its a steal for the price and i have no problem highly recommending it.

Katie E said:
I believe the reference is to Cook's Illustrated.

There's also CR (Consumer Report) as well. They might have some blenders listed that were also tested.

Don't know if this magazine is still around, but there also was Consumer Digest.

I have a Hamilton Beach I bought a while back - I don't use it that much, mostly for doing soups and gazpacho, so it doesn't come in for hard usage. When it eventually breaks, I won't buy another one: the press buttons are too close together, making it difficult to clean. The one recommended by ncage looks easy in that respect.

I have a newish Kitchen Classic Waring blender that I paid about $90.00 for. It has high and low speeds, will crush ice, has the sturdy Waring motor and comes in either chrome or stainless steel ( silver color). Waring had many different models available now. I did a lot of research when I needed to get this blender and the Waring motor tipped the scales in its favor.

Snoop Puss said:
I have a Hamilton Beach I bought a while back - I don't use it that much, mostly for doing soups and gazpacho, so it doesn't come in for hard usage. When it eventually breaks, I won't buy another one: the press buttons are too close together, making it difficult to clean. The one recommended by ncage looks easy in that respect.

My very first blender in the early '70s was a Hamilton Beach.

Consumer Reports rated Braun PowerMax MX2050 number one and included it in their best gifts recommendations 12/06. Amazon has it for $39.99.

Back
Top Bottom