Crockpot!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jurdoc

Assistant Cook
okay, gimme some tasty feedback on what to make with a crockpot! :D i just got one as a moving in present and i wanna use it!!!

i'll probably do beef stew. is there anything i can use a crockpot for if i have....ground beef?

Jurdoc,
how about chili, or meat loaf, pasta sauce with ground beef, mushroom beef stew,a pasta fagioli which uses ground beef,..Enjoy your new treasure.

kadesma:)

Actually, you might Scallops, They only cook in an instant or hours, maybe something different than your friends and maybe good. I have heard, no experience.

I don't think it is scallops that cook in an instant or in hours. It is calamari. Scallops cooked for hours would be indescrible.

You can also "Google" - crockpot recipes, you see many good ones. I do a pot roast in mine for beef sanwiches or beef and noodles, also with potatoes and carrots. Enjoy

I was about to suggest that.

A luscious juicy tender pot roast with some veggies and gravy! I've even made Boston Baked Beans in mine several times!!

Luscious!!!:chef:

Last edited:
Here's a recipe I use quite frequently that you might like, just keep in mind that I have a 6-qt crockpot so my recipe has changed from the original:

Ground Beef Stroganoff for Crockpot (Tripled)

6 lbs. ground beef
4 med. onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16-oz.) can sliced mushrooms, drained
3 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 (10-oz.) cans beef consomme
2 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste
32 oz. container Sour cream mixed with
10 TBSP flour

Brown ground beef in a large skillet, add onions, garlic, and mushrooms (I usually do this in stages 2 lbs ground beef, 2 cloves garlic, 1/3 of onions and mushrooms. Cook them up, drain the excess grease/fat and stick in the crockpot and then start over with another batch). Saute until onion is golden brown. Put in crockpot with all other ingredients except for sour cream/flour mixture. Stir thoroughly and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in sour cream/flour mixture one (1) hour before serving.

Serve over hot buttered noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.

Don't knock the mashed potatoes until you try it. My father recently got new dentures and refuses to take them back to get fitted right, so Mom found this solution for him. It makes it 'mushy' enough for him to 'gum-so to speak' without hurting his mouth. And he actually likes it better this way, and in some instances so do I.

Hope you like it. This will give you a few days worth of leftovers that you can play around with.;)

My favorite is a pork dish called Carnitas... like beef pot roast, but with no veggies and lots of Cilantro.

Or go for the pot roast, or
Do a pork sholder- pulled pork BBQ

etc.

I did the Stroganoff recipe many times, and it IS so luscious!!

Only difference is, I use tomato ketchup in place of tomato paste, and I mix the noodles in with everything to make it like a casserole, and I leave out the flour.

A slow-cooked pork shoulder is LOVELY and DELICIOUS!!

Last edited:
Here's one that is so off the wall - but it's great for when we're traveling and kids & grandkids love it!!

CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND BURRITOS

4 frozen burritos, beef or bean & cheese
2-4 boneless chicken breasts
14 1/2 can Enchilada sauce
Cheddar cheese
TO TOP:
shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, onions and sour cream, and a little more grated cheddar cheese

On the bottom of a slow cooker, place the frozen burritos.
Lay the chicken breasts on top and cover all with the enchilada sauce.
Cook on low 5-8 hours - it's very forgiving - the last few minutes sprinkle some grated cheese over.
When ready to serve, shred the chicken and serve with the above toppers.

Description:
"This recipe is so off the wall, I just had to try it - and if frozen burritos are one of your favorite junk foods (it's mine!), you'll love this!!"

As a former single parent, I used this recipe, or let's say a method, quite often. I'd get some chicken legs, pork chops, or beef ribs, wrap them in cheese cloth, then toss them in the crockpot with a can of pork and beans and a bottle of barbeque sauce, turn it on low, and go to work. When I got home, everything would be done, and, because the meat was wrapped in the cheesecloth, the meat didn't fall off the bones into the beans, and I never had to fish around for those tiny little bones that get caught in your kid's throat and require a trip to the ER!

The slow cooker is not only for winter but is especially good in the summer when you don't want to heat up your house. :)
Yesterday I put an onion, some garlic, couple of carrots and celery stems cut into big pieces, a few chicken pieces (thighs and legs) in the slow cooker with salt and peppercorns - cooked on low until I got home. I strained it and took the meat off the bone. I used the meat for a sesame chicken salad and froze the broth. Not a very exciting recipe but I do this fairly often. I also like to put the chicken on the bbq with my favourite sauce - I find that chicken cooked on the bbq gets dry and burnt on the outside by the time the inside is cooked but with the slow cooker the chicken is cooked when I get home and I just add a bit of that bbq flavour while I make up some veggies to go with the chicken.
I don't always want heavy stews so I use the cooker to cook meat for salads or burritos (shredded beef & pork works really well) and freeze the broth for future use.

Here are some good sites for recipes:
Slow Cooker Recipes
Citytv | CityLine | Show Guide<- look at Jan 17
This site has great advise:
Citytv | CityLine | Food and Entertaining | Entertaining 101Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes - MSN Lifestyle - Food & Entertaining

Just a reminder, Jurdoc, to brown your ground beef (or turkey or chicken) before you put it into the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients. Otherwise, you'll end up with mush ...

Our personal favorite in my home is split pea soup with ham.

If you like spicy, this is one of our family favorites. We saw it on the PBS show 'Everyday Food' and have liked it since then.

Spicy Pulled Pork

Good luck!

P.S. ~ Sorry, I forgot you said ground beef, so use it another time ...

Is it possible to do a chicken casserole in the crock pot. Also, if you use egg noodles, do they need to be cooked first.
Thanks for any info - Jeannie sue

JMediger said:
Just a reminder, Jurdoc, to brown your ground beef (or turkey or chicken) before you put it into the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients.
That is a very good reminder JMediger
with out browning the meat in many recipes (stews, chili, etc) you won't get a good taste and texture. (Recipes that you would normally brown the meat you must brown the meat before putting in a slow cooker.)

Last edited:
I love my crockpot and use it all year long. Plus, as someone mentioned, it's great to use in the warmer months to keep your kitchen cooler.

Here's a recipe I developed a couple of months ago:

KATIE'S CROCK-POT GARLIC ROASTED CHICKEN​
(Serves 6 to 8)​
1 (4- to 5-lb.) roasting chicken
Salt and freshly ground pepper black pepper
Paprika
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 stick butter, softened
½ cup chicken broth

Sprinkle the chicken, inside and out, with salt, pepper and paprika. In a small bowl, combine the butter and garlic, along with a generous amount of paprika. Stir until blended. At the neck of the chicken, lift the skin from the breast and loosen as far down as possible. Spread about half of the butter mixture under the skin. Press on top of the skin to uniformly distribute the butter mixture. Put about half of the remaining butter mixture into the cavity of the chicken. Add the chicken broth to the remaining butter and cook at 30% power in the microwave until the butter melts. Place the bird in the slow cooker and pour the butter/broth into cooker.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce to LOW and cook for at least 6 to 7 hours longer, until tender and juices run clear. Serve the garlic butter sauce with the chicken.

All you have to add for a complete meal is a green veggie and some noodles or mashed potatoes and dessert. It's so easy and great for Sunday dinner.

Katie E, that sounds delicious! I think I'll try that recipe myself one Sunday. Or maybe this coming Monday! But I think I'll use the Crock Pot BBQ Pit so that the chicken fits.

I also make a mean nacho cheese dip in the slow cooker, using pre-browned ground beef or turkey, Velveeta cheese, a can of diced tomatoes and seasonings, let it slow cook for and hour or so, and Voiila, a nice spicy hot nacho dip!!

Be careful though, as it can easily overcook and the cheese will break! If that happens, it's no good and you'll have to start all over again!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom