Electric (Grilled Cheese) Sandwich Makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluemack

Assistant Cook
Bought and then returned the Cuisinart Griddler Bed Bath & Beyond Product

Couldn't bring myself to spend so much $ for something where I basically wanted to mainly make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper electric or non electric version. Yes, I know, I can also make grilled cheese sandwiches in my frying pan too. Was looking for an easier and quick solution.

mack

bluemack said:
Yes, I know, I can also make grilled cheese sandwiches in my frying pan too. Was looking for an easier and quick solution.

As far as simplicity and economy ... what's wrong with a fry pan and a spatula? You put your cheese between the slices of bread, put a little butter in the fry pan and let it melt, put the sandwich in ... when browed to the degree that you want - lift it with the spatula, add a little more butter and flip it over and cook until side 2 is the degree of doneness that you want.

They used to have some electric sandwich gizmos that will cook both sides of the bread at the same time ... even give it a diagonal crease ... they were about $20 on TV. They gave the same overall browning that a skillet does - but actually took longer, and I haven't seen them advertised for some years. You might be able to find one at a garage sale.

Last edited:
It is so frustrating to ask a simple question like this for an electric gadget and be told to do it with a frying pan anyways! Please answer the question asked and don't tell me how I "should" do it. Please?!

Looking for a quick electric solution here.

I'll let you take a look and compare these products to see if they might be more in line with what you are looking for. Of course you are always free to use Google, or any other search engine, to look for sandwich makers, electric sandwich makers, etc.

bluemack said:
Can anyone suggest a cheaper electric or non electric version. Yes, I know, I can also make grilled cheese sandwiches in my frying pan too. Was looking for an easier and quick solution.

Humm ... guess cheaper, quick and easier is subjective? :wacko:

Last edited:
I have seen the "sandwich makers" in my local grocery store for about $9 (probably cheaper than bath and beyond). I have not tried one yet but I think that you could also use them as a very small "George Forman Grill".

I think that these grills would be very nice for making sandwiches with fillings - they would press everything together and I would not have to worry about things falling about when I flip the sandwich.

I know that there are lots of people that have almost every gadget - who has a "sandwich grill" and do you like it?

I just looked at Michael's link and there are some fancy sandwich makers out there. Some seal the sides and cut them in half (somehow).:ohmy:

Last edited:
bluemack said:
It is so frustrating to ask a simple question like this for an electric gadget and be told to do it with a frying pan anyways! Please answer the question asked and don't tell me how I "should" do it. Please?!

Looking for a quick electric solution here.

I have the Oster Hot 'n Toasty Sandwich Grill. The interior where the sandwich bread goes looks like a nonstick surface :)lol: ). The sandwich pockets have wells which look deep enough to contain the filling during cooking :)lol: ). The sandwich pockets are also small so you have to be careful to purchase bread that will fit :)lol: ). The grill cooks slowly and evenly so there is no need to ever worry about burnt toast :)lol: ).

bluemack said:
Bought and then returned the Cuisinart Griddler Bed Bath & Beyond Product

Couldn't bring myself to spend so much $ for something where I basically wanted to mainly make grilled cheese sandwiches.

mack

Go to Amazon and get a reconditioned one for about $70--or they have them at Costco for $90. On Amazon the recond. is in the Outlet.
I LOVE mine, although I haven't used it a whole lot. I gave my other panini maker to our daughter. The Griddler is VERY versatile and you will use it for far more than a grilled cheese sandwich. Folks use them for hamburgers, chix breasts on the grill, pancakes, reubens, all kinds of great panini sandwiches.
There are panini makers for a lot less, if you really only think you'll use for sandwiches. Look on Amazon. GREAT source for stuff, and free shipping usually--be sure to look for sellers with free shipping.

You want a cheap ELECTRIC alternative?

009wool3-1_jpg.jpg

I use my waffle maker that has reversible grill surfaces. One side is flat and grills sandwiches nicely. The other side is waffles. The cooking surfaces can be removed and placed in the dishwasher. Have had it forever so don't remember how much it costs but would think it was in the $35 since I don't like to spend alot of money on something I don't use everyday.

StirBlue said:
I have the Oster Hot 'n Toasty Sandwich Grill. The interior where the sandwich bread goes looks like a nonstick surface :)lol: ). The sandwich pockets have wells which look deep enough to contain the filling during cooking :)lol: ). The sandwich pockets are also small so you have to be careful to purchase bread that will fit :)lol: ). The grill cooks slowly and evenly so there is no need to ever worry about burnt toast :)lol: ).

Happy-looking periods you have there, Stir!

Lee

jabbur said:
I use my waffle maker that has reversible grill surfaces. One side is flat and grills sandwiches nicely. The other side is waffles. The cooking surfaces can be removed and placed in the dishwasher. Have had it forever so don't remember how much it costs but would think it was in the $35 since I don't like to spend alot of money on something I don't use everyday.

This is what I use and I love it. Look for the ones that have the thin flat surface, not a heavy weight one. I bought mine on eBay. Look for "vintage waffle maker" on eBay. I love mine and use it almost daily for toast, NY Times bread heat up, and of course, grilled cheese sandwiches.

In Michael's kind website, there is the Daiblo 011 Sovetop Sandwish Maker.

Fifty years ago we would make sandwiches in one of those suckers over the gas range.

Always missed them because we then kept moving to places that had electric stoves.

Now we have gas, and purchased a couple of the suckers. Not the Diablo 011, which must be the Cadillac of stovetop sandwich makers, but got them for a lot less than ten bucks a shot, as I remember (found them on the web). They are square not round.

They make great cheese sandwiches (you pick the cheese) and many other warm sandwiches. The edges are sealed and you butter the outside of the bread and it comes out golden with a nice crispiness if you heat it right (takes a bit of learning to get the technique the way you like it). Can make many other sandwiches with them.

Could do a sorta Reuben, or a cheese and tomato, or a ham and cheese, or a tuna melt or almost anything you can come up with.

We love them.

We do have one of those cheap tabletop electric jobbies that was given to us a number of years ago that we have never used. But see them all the time for ten bucks, more or less.

But if am in a hurry, just toss a bit of butter into the cast iron and voila, a melted cheese sandwich.

We are probably the only people, at least in the US, who have never owned a Foreman grill, so am no help there.

However they are made, grilled sandwiches, particularly the grilled cheese variety, are great.

:) The newer George Formans are actually really nice with the different plates[that can be exchanged for different types of cooking and washed in sink for easy cleanup} but even the old ones make a great grilled sandwich/pannini.

Back
Top Bottom